Confirmed with Link: Montreal fires Therrien - Claude Julien named Habs Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
None of us will understand the weird Bermuda Triangle that the Bruins had with Peter Chiarelli, Claude Julien and Cam Neely.

Chiarelli was on record numerous times that he would never fire Julien and I think that is the primary reason Chia was fired two years ago. Cam didn't like Julien and nobody in hockey knows why.

It is going to be fascinating to watch this play out.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
None of us will understand the weird Bermuda Triangle that the Bruins had with Peter Chiarelli, Claude Julien and Cam Neely.

Chiarelli was on record numerous times that he would never fire Julien and I think that is the primary reason Chia was fired two years ago. Cam didn't like Julien and nobody in hockey knows why.

(Talking) points are at a premium.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Given Mike's personality, Milbury as a GM is just a horrible idea.

The man would clearly favor his own visceral knowledge over any sort of quantifiable and logically presented data.

I think his work with Keith Jones indicates he respects the opinions of some people. Many times after the fact he admitted that Wang was pulling the strings on some deals and Milbury was overrided. Mostly speculation on what happens among the top 4 in any organization,unless one of them pointedly speaks out. Not gonna happen very often so the speculation and guessing game explodes.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
When it comes to Montreal there is no middle ground. I will never be happy if they do well, regardless of the coach.

One time this guy I met at a rink told me he was a Bruin's fan and a Montreal fan. I said, really, because I had never met a real fan of either team that liked both :laugh:

OK... let me tell you this. I know no matter what you will always defend and justify what the FO does.
Same goes for some players like Jared Knight :laugh::laugh::laugh: and others.

You are stuck in your ways and it's your opinion.

As far as I'm concerned I'm done with those 2 monkeys, I also include the Jacobs since they let the **** show append.

I will always root for the Bruins it's been 49 years and counting ... but from now on it will be in a different way. Is this ok with you? :laugh:

I will also cheer for Julien success.
Since I moved 6 months ago to Toronto, and I'm liking this young and exciting team I'll also cheer for. The leafs.

I'll also like Connor McDavid and the Oilers.so I'll cheer for them to.

No there's no drugs or alcohol involve nice try though. :laugh:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

It was most likely part human nature and part style.

When Neely took over his current position, Chiarelli and Julien were already there. They were not guys that he selected and I'm sure that bothered him at least a little bit. In addition, both Neely and Chia (when he was first hired) were on record as saying they preferred playing an up-tempo, aggressive style (I'm really not sure why Chia hired Clode if that was actually the case?). The difference was that Clode's conservative style seemed to really chafe on Neely.

I don't think it's rocket science? Because of the B's success, there was no way Neely could fire either of them, even if he disagreed with their hockey philosophies. Once they began to falter, Neely acted. First with Chia (didn't have an issue with it) and finally with Clode (don't have an issue with it).

I want him to get on the same page as, and let his GM do his job, but I completely understand why he would want to put his "stamp" on the team.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
OK... let me tell you this. I know no matter what you will always defend and justify what the FO does.
Same goes for some players like Jared Knight :laugh::laugh::laugh: and others.

You are stuck in your ways and it's your opinion.

As far as I'm concerned I'm done with those 2 monkeys, I also include the Jacobs since they let the **** show append.

I will always root for the Bruins it's been 49 years and counting ... but from now on it will be in a different way. Is this ok with you? :laugh:

I will also cheer for Julien success.
Since I moved 6 months ago to Toronto, and I'm liking this young and exciting team I'll also cheer for. The leafs.

I'll also like Connor McDavid and the Oilers.so I'll cheer for them to.

No there's no drugs or alcohol involve nice try though. :laugh:

I'm glad you have it all figured out with me and the FO.

Perhaps it's not that I always agree with them, but I also don't make ridiculous statements like calling two guys "monkeys" because I have a difference of opinion about some of their decisions.

You can cheer for whomever you want. I'm just saying that IMO, due to the animosity and differences in style between the two teams, you can't be a true fan of both. It's like saying you like the Red Sox and the Yankees.

You like to throw the word sacrilege around...I think it's sacrilege that a long time B's fan would cheer for the Habs...end of story.

p.s. I was wrong about Knight. Not sure what that has to do with anything? I'm sure every prospect you have ever liked has made the NHL and had success? More likely you just don't talk about the ones you were wrong about LOL

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I'll be happy for Julien success yes. cheering for the hab's no.
It's 2 different things.
I know for some of you this doesn't compute.:laugh:

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I'll be happy for Julien success yes. cheering for the hab's no.
It's 2 different things.
I know for some of you this doesn't compute.:laugh:

Julien full size posters with the "super star" will be available with your happy meal today at participating MacDonald's thru out Canada. Make sure you ask for that rather the toy plow truck. :laugh:

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
p.s. I was wrong about Knight. Not sure what that has to do with anything? I'm sure every prospect you have ever liked has made the NHL and had success? More likely you just don't talk about the ones you were wrong about LOL

The knight comment was tongue in cheek kind of thing. No disrespect intended.
For the prospects I always had high hopes for all of them.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
If Julien has success, that means the Habs have success.

I will root for him after the Habs fire him and he's coaching somewhere else.

The hate will always be there for the hab's, it's not something we can just turn it off.

But I'll be happy for Julien. If that makes sense... if not , we'll it is what it is.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I respect Claude Julien immensely and appreciate more than words can express what he did here.

I also hope his new team has the worst luck possible and takes a collective **** in their pants for the rest of this season, and every season after this one into perpetuity. Someone I respect coaching them doesn't change that.

The two are not mutually exclusive.

Seeing people actively root for Montreal to succeed to spite the Bruins, regardless of how ****ed their front office may be, makes me want to puke.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
First let me say I am also a fan of Clode.
But let me also say in 10 years look at his playoff record.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Julien’s hiring by the hated Habs on Tuesday — he was formally introduced for his second tour of duty with the Bleu, Blanc et Rouge on Wednesday — is a potential nightmare scenario for Bruins general manager Don Sweeney and club president Cam Neely. They just used Julien as a hockey human shield to deflect the blame for the Bruins’ plight as a depth-deficient, inconsistent, borderline playoff club. Canning the coach was a public relations countermeasure to obscure the reality that the team they’ve built is a few years and prospects-turned-pros away from serious Cup contention.

Now, if Julien, the winningest coach in Bruins’ history, with a Stanley Cup banner in the rafters with his name on it, wins big with a more talented club it will be obvious the issue on Causeway Street this season was not who was behind the bench. It is who Sweeney and Neely have put on it.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...-are-bruins/2znYM6X6FIqWXqc8kUpzII/story.html

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Julien’s hiring by the hated Habs on Tuesday — he was formally introduced for his second tour of duty with the Bleu, Blanc et Rouge on Wednesday — is a potential nightmare scenario for Bruins general manager Don Sweeney and club president Cam Neely. They just used Julien as a hockey human shield to deflect the blame for the Bruins’ plight as a depth-deficient, inconsistent, borderline playoff club. Canning the coach was a public relations countermeasure to obscure the reality that the team they’ve built is a few years and prospects-turned-pros away from serious Cup contention.

Now, if Julien, the winningest coach in Bruins’ history, with a Stanley Cup banner in the rafters with his name on it, wins big with a more talented club it will be obvious the issue on Causeway Street this season was not who was behind the bench. It is who Sweeney and Neely have put on it.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...-are-bruins/2znYM6X6FIqWXqc8kUpzII/story.html

In 14 years of coaching,he's gotten out of round 2 twice. I'm not worried about any great success in Montreal.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I respect Claude Julien immensely and appreciate more than words can express what he did here.

I also hope his new team has the worst luck possible and takes a collective **** in their pants for the rest of this season, and every season after this one into perpetuity. Someone I respect coaching them doesn't change that.

Seeing people actively root for Montreal to succeed to spite the Bruins, regardless of how ****ed their front office may be, makes me want to puke.

This times 1000.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

I completely disagree with the idea that if Clode wins in MTL, the "issue" was obviously not him.

I think most objective fans can readily admit that the Bruins are NOT the most talented team in the East. However, admitting that and also saying that Clode was one of the issues that plagued this team are not mutually exclusive.

It really bugs me when articles make black/white statements like that either because the author has an agenda or is just too lazy to look at all the facts.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I completely disagree with the idea that if Clode wins in MTL, the "issue" was obviously not him.

I think most objective fans can readily admit that the Bruins are NOT the most talented team in the East. However, admitting that and also saying that Clode was one of the issues that plagued this team are not mutually exclusive.

It really bugs me when articles make black/white statements like that either because the author has an agenda or is just too lazy to look at all the facts.

Don't they all?

Felger predicted that many in the media, particularly those on the Bruins' beat, would be engaging in this type of journalism.

That's their prerogative.

I find that, the older I get, I'm less likely to root for the laundry and more likely to pick and choose "interest stories" to root for.

Regardless of your position, this Clode story is definitely a great human interest story. I can totally wrap my mind around rooting for Clode to stick it to the Bruins. Hell, I loved when Bledsoe and Milloy destroyed the Patriots in the season opener.

Now, moving on from those two players turned out to be the right move, and so might moving on from Clode.

I'll just enjoy the show.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario

I couldn't agree more. I loathe the Habs and find it unfathomable that any Bruins fan could root for them for any reason.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I wish Claude all the best in his personal life, family is healthy, kids doing well blah blah blah

I wish CJ nothing but the worst now that he`s leading the charge behind the bench of the Habs. There isn`t a scenario where I wish anyone well that is employed by that team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad