Confirmed with Link: Montreal fires Therrien - Claude Julien named Habs Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Statement by Michel Therrien

MONTREAL, Feb. 16, 2017 - I would first like to thank the Montreal Canadiens organization, especially Geoff Molson and Marc Bergevin, for the experience of five remarkable years. The Montreal Canadiens have always been a great organization, and recent events in no way change my perception of the team and its management.

Being an NHL coach is a tough job: it is gratifying on many levels but it can also quickly become a thankless task. When a team is experiencing difficulties, any head coach knows his job is on the line. I understand and accept this reality.

I would like to thank fans in Montreal and across Quebec, as well as members of the media. I also salute the coaches and staff I have worked with over the years and, above all, the many players whom I had the privilege of coaching.

I leave with my head held high: I am very proud of the work accomplished over the past five years. The current team can aspire to great honours, and I wish my colleague Claude Julien every success in the future.

I think that's a good classy statement from a guy I wouldn't exactly expect it from.

He expresses disappointment, but a lot of gratitude. It's a good letter.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
As a habs fan that has watched our storied rivalry since the 70s,you guys have my blessing to talk to Therrien.:laugh:
One day, some day, he'll get the respeckt he deserves from a different organization.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I think that's a good classy statement from a guy I wouldn't exactly expect it from.

He expresses disappointment, but a lot of gratitude. It's a good letter.

Completely agree with this. It is a good classy statement and I have to say that I did expect it. When the B's won the cup on '11 he stayed off to the side while the players wooped it up. He didn't grandstand etc, just stood back and took it in. His time came a couple of years ago but villainizing him now by us would be classless. I didn't like him his at first (honestly not until they won the cup) but after that I realized the method to the madness and appreciated it. IMO it's not so much that the game passed him by but that the players that the B's got were not particularly Claude type players and the ones that they lost couldn't be equalled in their enthusiasm for it. After the '14 crushing by the Habs I felt that he was almost done. The next year I was sure of it. I think that his act will play very well the second time around in Montreal of course if he doesn't win the cup in the first 4 years there it will be curtains for him but c'est la vie!

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I'm on board but only on one condition. He has to conduct all team related interviews and media requests in French only. The team has to do something to appease the newly minted Hab fan converts that are jumping ship because they hired Claude...:naughty:

That's a long way to go for two people.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
Completely agree with this. It is a good classy statement and I have to say that I did expect it. When the B's won the cup on '11 he stayed off to the side while the players wooped it up. He didn't grandstand etc, just stood back and took it in. His time came a couple of years ago but villainizing him now by us would be classless. I didn't like him his at first (honestly not until they won the cup) but after that I realized the method to the madness and appreciated it. IMO it's not so much that the game passed him by but that the players that the B's got were not particularly Claude type players and the ones that they lost couldn't be equalled in their enthusiasm for it. After the '14 crushing by the Habs I felt that he was almost done. The next year I was sure of it. I think that his act will play very well the second time around in Montreal of course if he doesn't win the cup in the first 4 years there it will be curtains for him but c'est la vie!

...That statement was not from Julien, it was from Therrien. People are acting surprised because it isn't from Julien.
I think it is a bit too articulate to be directly from Michel Therrien. He got some help...or at the very least, some translation help.

George Lebay

Feb 17, 2012
Laval
Habs fan here.. There's no parking spot left at the Habs training facility where Claude Julien will hold his first practice since taking over as Habs head coach. Aaand the practice is being broadcasted live on the french TSN...

Last edited:

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Habs fan here.. There's no parking spot left at the Habs training facility where Claude Julien will hold his first practice since taking over as Habs head coach. Aaand the practice is being broadcasted live on the french TSN...

I don't need an update on my ex-coach any more than I need an update on my ex-girlfriend. This is like a creepy friend of her new boyfriend letting me know what she posts on Facebook. Thanks, but no thanks! :shakehead

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH

I don't need an update on my ex-coach any more than I need an update on my ex-girlfriend. This is like a creepy friend of her new boyfriend letting me know what she posts on Facebook. Thanks, but no thanks! :shakehead

Yeah, well I don't mind. Daily, no. But I do find it interesting the amount of fanfare around Claude's first practice, especially that it's being broadcast live on TSN. If folks aren't interested, walk on by.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Yeah, well I don't mind. Daily, no. But I do find it interesting the amount of fanfare around Claude's first practice, especially that it's being broadcast live on TSN. If folks aren't interested, walk on by.

I personally see no need to ever go on another team's board, so I'm quite biased. Probably why it irks me. :rant:

George Lebay

Feb 17, 2012
Laval

I didn't mean no offense to the Bruins fans. I thought some of you might be interested since he's been your team's coach for so long. This just goes to show how crazy things can get up here when it comes to hockey.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I didn't mean no offense to the Bruins fans. I thought some of you might be interested since he's been your team's coach for so long. This just goes to show how crazy things can get up here when it comes to hockey.

Not sure why some have such thin skin, but thanks for the update. Personally, I find it hilarious given how hypocritical a lot of your fellow hab fans have been about Claude since he came to Boston. Now that he's back in MTL, he's suddenly the greatest coach in history!! :laugh:

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
Not sure why some have such thin skin, but thanks for the update. Personally, I find it hilarious given how hypocritical a lot of your fellow hab fans have been about Claude since he came to Boston. Now that he's back in MTL, he's suddenly the greatest coach in history!! :laugh:

Yup I've loved watching the 180s being pulled on social media right now

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

We know here already how crazy habs fans are......911----- Hello.---- Chara should be in jail. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
The Hab fan reaction to every single Montreal coaching change in my lifetime follows the exact same formula:

First month: "Finally someone is making the obvious adjustments!!!!"

Second month to inevitable firing: "This guy is an idiot; he's an embarassment to the logo; give me (previously employed coach) back; I could coach this team better..."

George Lebay

Feb 17, 2012
Laval

I can't speak for other habs fans but Julien has always been one of my favorite NHL coach. I never understood why Bob Gainey fired him in the first place..It was a very bad move IMO.. But I know what you mean. Many members of the medias are hypocrit ****s as well...

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I can't speak for other habs fans but Julien has always been one of my favorite NHL coach. I never understood why Bob Gainey fired him in the first place..It was a very bad move IMO.. But I know what you mean. Many members of the medias are hypocrit ****s as well...

It's just fandom. It's what we do with players and coaches when they leave the organization we root for. That being said, it's still really funny to view another team, especially your main rivals, pull a complete reversal of opinion on Claude. He's a really good coach, but I don't know if the roster you guys have currently fits his desired style of play all that well. Should be fun to see how the team and how he responds to that challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad