Proposal: Montreal - Edmonton

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
My apologies. I should've worded that better. I meant average icetime per game, which is what I was alluding to, not total icetime. To suggest Mete, a player who quite often sees under 10 minutes of ice in games, would see more ice than Darnell Nurse or Oscar Klefbom who both commonly see more than 20 minutes per game is--my apologies--laughable.

Brandon Davidson
2017-18 MTL D 13 0 1 1 -3 9 0.08 0 0 0 0 0 0 13 14:55

Victor Mete
2017-18 MTL D 26 0 4 4 5 2 0.15 0 2 0 0 0 0 22 14:47

Mete started off getting heavy assignments at evens in Montreal because they simply lacked a left-handed puck moving option after Markov walked. But quickly it was obvious he was in well over his head so they began to limit his minutes. I don't even need to watch the games to see that. He's green and the coach is treating him that way. He may very well develop into a better player, but today he's about as responsible as Brandon Davidson--waiver wire hero.
So your saying Mete = Davidson, ok man, i'm not in the mood right now.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
My apologies. I should've worded that better. I meant average icetime per game, which is what I was alluding to, not total icetime. To suggest Mete, a player who quite often sees under 10 minutes of ice in games, would see more ice than Darnell Nurse or Oscar Klefbom who both commonly see more than 20 minutes per game is--my apologies--laughable.

Brandon Davidson
2017-18 MTL D 13 0 1 1 -3 9 0.08 0 0 0 0 0 0 13 14:55

Victor Mete
2017-18 MTL D 26 0 4 4 5 2 0.15 0 2 0 0 0 0 22 14:47

Mete started off getting heavy assignments at evens in Montreal because they simply lacked a left-handed puck moving option after Markov walked. But quickly it was obvious he was in well over his head so they began to limit his minutes. I don't even need to watch the games to see that. He's green and the coach is treating him that way. He may very well develop into a better player, but today he's about as responsible as Brandon Davidson--waiver wire hero.
Mete has not been in over his head at all. If anything, the most impressive thing about him thus far is that he's playing like a 10 year vet as a teenager. We are bringing him along slowly because we want him to take his offence to the next level, and that is why he could be sent down. His massive offensive upside is what has many so excited about him as his skating, stick, and IQ are elite of the elite. Long term, he is one of the brightest young dmen in the game, and he's only not getting the respect yet because of the round he was drafted in. If he say was a top 20 pick like a Klefbom you'd be hearing alot more about him.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
So your saying Mete = Davidson, ok man, i'm not in the mood right now.
In terms of NHL preparedness...yup, pretty much. Your coach seems to agree with me. If Mete was a top pairing defenseman like you seem to be alluding, he'd be playing 20+ minutes regularly, not being sheltered. Oscar Klefbom is the #1 defenseman in Edmonton this season, plays all situations--Mete doesn't even get PP assignments right now. If you suddenly started giving Mete all of Klerbom's assignments in Montreal....uhhh....

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Watch him play right now with Weber, he's playing solid. Why are we discussing him again?

I don't doubt it. He's playing with Shea Weber. But he has two shots in three games and has bupkis in terms of offense so far. And you tell me, you're the one who brought him up.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
In terms of NHL preparedness...yup, pretty much. Your coach seems to agree with me. If Mete was a top pairing defenseman like you seem to be alluding, he'd be playing 20+ minutes regularly, not being sheltered. Oscar Klefbom is the #1 defenseman in Edmonton this season, plays all situations--Mete doesn't even get PP assignments right now. If you suddenly started giving Mete all of Klerbom's assignments in Montreal....uhhh....
I don't think you realise how bad we started of the season and how good Mete was threw it all. He definitely could of handled even more minutes. He's a rookie so he played mostly 5on5.
I wish they would have gave him alot more PP time, our coach is a dummy at times. Anyways...

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Klefbom is good, Mete is just better is all.

And ya i'm optimistic about Shlemdog, Jerabek could end up playing with Weber though. We'll see if Shlemko keeps it up, if he doesn't them our idiot GM will have to trade for a top 4 LHD, or they will have to keep Mete.

I've been as hard as anyone has been on Klefbom. He was amazing in the first game -- probably our 2nd best player after McDavid. Then had some struggles, for sure. Some games he was downright awful. But he didn't look 'right' to me, and think he had some kind of injury that wasn't serious enough to put him out of action, but enough to affect his play. Todd is incredibly loyal (sometimes to a fault), so of course he's going to play him if Klef says he's good to go. In any case, and whatever the reason was, we've seen a turn-around to near last-year's form in him lately. If he continues this turn-around, and is the player he was last year -- a proven top-paring Dman -- I'm not sure how you can put more value on Mete, when I think you're going by potential, when none of us really know just how good he'll turn out. It's good to be really confident in his ability, but potential is still potential. Klefbom has proven he can be a top-pairing Dman on a playoff team that almost made the WCF; he started the season out that way, and now has rounded into that form again. He's proven he can do it, so we have reasonable expectations based on recent performance to expect him to now keep it up.

Simply put, I don't think it's logical or wise to put potential over proven ability and performance -- not to mention Klef's great contract for a proven top-2 Dman who's rounding back into form in short order. I don't think any team would realistically trade Klefbom (assuming they had him, and had a need for him in their top-4 if not their top pairing) for Mete. Just don't see it. You're welcome to your opinion, of course, but I think if you asked the GMs of the league who has more value you'd get a near unanimous decision of Klefbom -- both in a vacuum and within the context of their team. I guess that's another opinion, but if you're welcome to yours, then surely I'm welcome to mine. ;)

Last edited:

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
I've been as hard as anyone has been on Klefbom. He was amazing in the first game -- probably our 2nd best player after McDavid. Then had some struggles, for sure. Some games he was downright awful. But he didn't look 'right' to me, and think he had some kind of injury that wasn't serious enough to put him out of action, but enough to affect his play. Todd is incredibly loyal (sometimes to a fault), so of course he's going to play him if Klef says he's good to go. In any case, we've seen a turn-around to near last-year's form in him lately. If he continues this turn-around, and is the player he was last year -- a proven top-paring Dman -- I'm not sure how you can put more value on Mete, when I think you're going by potential, when none of us really know just how good he'll turn out. It's good to be really confident in his ability, but potential is still potential. Klefbom has proven he can be a top-pairing Dman, started the season out that way, and now has rounded into that form again.

Simply put, I don't think it's logical or wise to put potential over proven ability and performance -- not to mention Klef's great contract for a proven top-2 Dman who's rounding back into form in short order. I don't think any team would realistically trade Klefbom (assuming they had him, and had a need for him in their top-4 if not their top pairing) for Mete. Just don't see it. You're welcome to your opinion, of course, but I think if you asked the GMs of the league who has more value you'd get a near unanimous decision of Klefbom -- both in a vacuum and within the context of their team. I guess that's another opinion, but if you're welcome to yours, then surely I'm welcome to mine. ;)
Klef is worth more right now no doubt, but Mete is a better player, if he had Klef size he would have went top 5, Maybe it's because i have seen what Klef looks like at his worst, reminds me of Brainfart Beaulieu at times. Mete has never struggled only surpassed.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Klef is worth more right now no doubt, but Mete is a better player, if he had Klef size he would have went top 5, Maybe it's because i have seen what Klef looks like at his worst, reminds me of Brainfart Beaulieu at times. Mete has never struggled only surpassed.

Well, we'll see what he becomes. But as of now, I can't agree with you on your evaluation between the two.

I'm betting that management and coaching staff are looking to somehow claw the team back into a position to make a run for a playoff spot, and if Talbot returns from injury soon and plays like he can, the team could be a dangerous one to face in the playoffs, whatever their seed ranking may be. So can't see them sending one of their 2 most important Dmen from last season (Sekera being the other, with Larsson not far behind the two) for a smaller Dman with just potential when they want to make a run. Even if they're out of it by the TDL, I don't think they give up on Klefbom. Sure Klef is 24, but he also missed the better parts of 2-3 years due to injury, so he arguably has the development of a 21 year old Dman, hence one of the reasons for inconsistency, possibly.

Anyway, the trade will probably never happen, nor should the Oilers do it, IMO.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown

Never?

Congratulations on your future Hall of Fame player!

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Well, we'll see what he becomes. But as of now, I can't agree with you on your evaluation between the two.

I'm betting that management and coaching staff are looking to somehow claw the team back into a position to make a run for a playoff spot, and if Talbot returns from injury soon and plays like he can, the team could be a dangerous one to face in the playoffs, whatever their seed ranking may be. So can't see them sending one of their 2 most important Dmen from last season (Sekera being the other, with Larsson not far behind the two) for a smaller Dman with just potential when they want to make a run. Even if they're out of it by the TDL, I don't think they give up on Klefbom. Sure Klef is 24, but he also missed the better parts of 2-3 years due to injury, so he arguably has the development of a 21 year old Dman, hence one of the reasons for inconsistency, possibly.

Anyway, the trade will probably never happen, nor should the Oilers do it, IMO.
The whole thing is a rediculous trade proposal to begin with.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
That is a ridiculous thing to say.
Klef has shown more volume, has played great at times and has looked like Beaulieu at times... Mete has just shown something a lil extra in terms of potential, only 27 games, he will see 39 this season, then will go play for team Canada in WJ. Next season they will unleash him in the NHL
Klefbom has a higher trade value right now no doubt, to 29 other teams out there, but Habs value Mete higher, he's our player, we know what we have in him. The whole trade proposal is wrong for both teams to begin with and makes little sense.

Last edited:

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
why are people slamming 19 year old mete as a Davidson comparison when hes the furthest thing away from that and especially when Klefbom has been a total disaster this year as a veteran in the NHL. LMAO.

As for Mete's value to the Habs, its astronomical. Hes the only untouchable along with Drouin, at least according to a bunch of legit sources.

Last edited:

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Yeah they’re pretty equal

And this wouldn't be HF if people actually knew what they were talking about..

Davidson is hot trash, he's slow, handles the puck like a grenade and makes horrible turnovers. The fact that we couldn't even get a 7th round pick from any team confirms that much.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Read the whole thread.

He told me that Mete not good enough to make Edmonton's team....
I told him Edmonton just scoop up our garbage #8D...
Clowns post things without reading the context of the situation.

You mean the same garbage Montreal paid us for ? It a no risk move as he played well for Edmonton in the pass and if his game has declined that much we just waive him again and send him to the farm . As for you and the Clown posts . I agree with the other guy . Mete isn't on Klefbom level a small sample size does not change that . RNH out played Mcdavid for some games this year should we say RNH is better ? See how foolish that would be .

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Being Captain of the Montreal Canadiens has a lot more pressure than many other Captains have in this league.

Never said he was top 4 on any NHL team, i said he is top 4 in Edmonton right now no question. He plays amaizing in our top 4, he's great playing with Weber, our coach has been reducing his time to give more time to our veterans, now that Petry is playing great and Alzner playing better... Shlemko back, Jerabek back up... Sorry but Edmonton's Defense is not looking good right now.... Mete is very solid and hella fast.

If you D is so good as you say why does your team go down the shitter with out Price ? We seen teams with good D win cups with average goaltending

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
No I know he’s good cause he played in Edmonton and was pretty good

I like Davidson . 2 years ago he looked really solid back he was near as good after his injury so I wouldn't go by the past . Also using minute as the be all is also the wrong way to look at it . Most teams are going to bring along players slowly especially a 19 year old D . The Kid may turn out great ( Mete ) but saying he is better then Klefbom is a joke . We also seen other young D look like studs to start their NHL careers only to fall way way back

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
And this wouldn't be HF if people actually knew what they were talking about..

Davidson is hot trash, he's slow, handles the puck like a grenade and makes horrible turnovers. The fact that we couldn't even get a 7th round pick from any team confirms that much.

He had that concussion and wasn't looking good his last year in Edmonton either . He a likeable guy and Edmonton knows him . I would like to see him succeed . Hopefully he can get back to where he was a few years ago

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
He had that concussion and wasn't looking good his last year in Edmonton either . He a likeable guy and Edmonton knows him . I would like to see him succeed . Hopefully he can get back to where he was a few years ago

Good but that's not what i was talking about, i wish him the best of luck as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad