Post-Game Talk: Montreal @ Dallas - Get Danault'd

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I'll believe Danault is a legit top-6 centre when he produces at that level for longer than a week. Helluva week, though! He almost singlehandedly won two games for us!

Agreed. Not time to crown him anything yet. But it is definitely good to see.

And as I had said in an earlier post, while Domi, Drouin, and Gallagher are still putting up points, they've dried up a bit lately. So seeing someone step up is what makes this team different.

Right now, Habs Top-6 are on pace to score 50+ points, with Domi on pace for 70+, and Drouin & Tatar on pace for 60+. There is also Petry who is on pace for 50+ points.

Hopefully Shaw isn't seriously hurt because even he's on pace for 50+.

I don't know how many points these guys will end up with, but it sure is fun to see multiple players on this kind of pace.

Also let me add that Lehkonen is also having a career year. On pace for 40+ pts.

And finally, Kotkaniemi is also having a career year. :sarcasm:

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
timing for such a comment is perfect. 10 or so pts in the last 5 or 6... don't remember reading something similar when the guy had 2G in 30 games or something though.
Let's smooth out both the good and bad streaks then and say he is on pace for 55 points, of which 53 are at ES. His ES production is actually inside the top-30 in the league now.

It's fair to say he is playing like a second line center, especially knowing he does not get sheltered minutes. His +11 leads the team.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
The schedule maker was kind to the Habs again. All 10 wins came against teams that lost that night.
lol........You say that in jest but I'll bet some poster was probably ready to write something very similar. It's comparable to the pseudo stat that was circulating earlier this month on this board: Habs have more wins against teams outside the playoffs than in the playoffs. They forget to mention that all teams have more wins against bottom feeders than against playoff teams - even Tampa Bay. Also the Habs are a wild card team. Their record itself implies they would have more wins against teams below them than above them in the standings.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
D A N A U L T ;
5 x road games ; 5 goals , 4 assists 9 points

...but he 's just at best a 3rd line centre :laugh:

Anyone that is talking second line / third line is not understanding that todays NHL is a top 9 not a top 6. There really is no second line, all three lines on most teams play similar minutes.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Danault has been vilified on this board all year...it’s nice to see him producing. He is not the second coming of Crosby but a decent 50 point guy I can live with!
I've stated on a number of occasions that I really like Danault. Really glad he is producing but let's not build up our expectations. Danault is a great #3 center who can fill in adequately as a #2 for a limited amount of time. I'm just afraid he will be billed as a #2 and when he comes back down to earth, posters will start to crap on him again. Having said that. I value Danault - even when he is not on a scoring streak - more than I value Drouin. This kid is starting to rival Captain Ready for his disappearance act.

Last edited:

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Let's smooth out both the good and bad streaks then and say he is on pace for 55 points, of which 53 are at ES. His ES production is actually inside the top-30 in the league now.

It's fair to say he is playing like a second line center, especially knowing he does not get sheltered minutes. His +11 leads the team.
We usually agree but I have to differ on this one. On a legit cup contender Danault is a #3. He is an all round complete player who isn't elite at any one aspect of the game but very good at everything. Think of Bonino on the Pens a few years ago.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
timing for such a comment is perfect. 10 or so pts in the last 5 or 6... don't remember reading something similar when the guy had 2G in 30 games or something though.

To be fair, the Danault trade was still regarded as MB's best move even if he had 2G in 30 GP.

People weren't happy that is all Danault had to show while playing 1C/2C this season. But it still didn't take away from the trade being a lopsided one for Habs.

Hansman

Mar 18, 2013
Wild West
To be fair, the Danault trade was still regarded as MB's best move even if he had 2G in 30 GP.

People weren't happy that is all Danault had to show while playing 1C/2C this season. But it still didn't take away from the trade being a lopsided one for Habs.
and the 2nd round pick that came with Danault which turned into Romanov

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
and the 2nd round pick that came with Danault which turned into Romanov

What's interesting is that when the trade was made, no one had a clue who Danault was.

Also, when the pick was made, no one had a clue who Romanov was and why they'd take him when they took him.

Right now, Danault is an integral part of the team and Romanov has become one of the best prospects in the organization.

Reactions: jaffy27

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Danault definitely had a lot of unfair criticism about his icetime but a lot was totally on the mark up until 2 weeks ago, offensive chances were dying on his stick more often than not. I’ve never seen Danault play like this before, it’s like a switch has been flipped and he’s driving the net and trying to create offense instead of just having puck possession, same issue Eller has a Hab for the most part that he has improved on since leaving town. Hopefully Phil can keep it up.

Hansman

Mar 18, 2013
Wild West
What's interesting is that when the trade was made, no one had a clue who Danault was.

Also, when the pick was made, no one had a clue who Romanov was and why they'd take him when they took him.

Right now, Danault is an integral part of the team and Romanov has become one of the best prospects in the organization.
Artem Telepin must be all smiles for notifying Timmins about Romanov.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Danault definitely had a lot of unfair criticism about his icetime but a lot was totally on the mark up until 2 weeks ago, offensive chances were dying on his stick more often than not. I’ve never seen Danault play like this before, it’s like a switch has been flipped and he’s driving the net and trying to create offense instead of just having puck possession, same issue Eller has a Hab for the most part that he has improved on since leaving town. Hopefully Phil can keep it up.
Good post....although I don't think the criticism was unfair at all, he had what, 2 goals in 35 games with alot of ice time....as we know this production now will not continue, but he will gain alot of confidence, and let's hope he keeps going to those dirty areas and gets a few more goals! This years team has no quit in it...glad PD has picked it up while Domi and Drouin have slipped recently.

The team is alot easier to watch these days!! And a 4-2 record on the road, will inspire alot of confidence!

Reactions: Spearmint Rhino

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Habs in December:

The Good
5th for points with 21 (Tied with CAL and PITT)
4th for goals scored with 51 (Tied with TOR and PITT)
1st for shots on goals with 548 (31 more than the 2nd place)
1st for hits with 436 (Tied with PITT)

The Bad
27th for PP with 11.4%
31st on the PK with 71.7%
22nd for goals allowed with 45

The Players
Phillip Danault leads all Habs with 13 points in 15 games with a +11
Jesperi Kotkaniemi all centers in FO with a 54.9%
Jeff Petry leads all Habs for goals scored with 6

Habs will have 7 of their 11 games in January at home but it also include 3 back to back.
From Jan. 20 to Jan 31, Habs will only play 1 game.

Habs are 1 point away from Buffalo who finish the month in the 27th place in the NHL in December with 11 points.

Last edited:

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
lol........You say that in jest but I'll bet some poster was probably ready to write something very similar. It's comparable to the pseudo stat that was circulating earlier this month on this board: Habs have more wins against teams outside the playoffs than in the playoffs. They forget to mention that all teams have more wins against bottom feeders than against playoff teams - even Tampa Bay. Also the Habs are a wild card team. Their record itself implies they would have more wins against teams below them than above them in the standings.
We are 10-6-4 against playoff teams and 11-8-1 against non-playoff teams.

Reactions: Belial

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
We usually agree but I have to differ on this one. On a legit cup contender Danault is a #3. He is an all round complete player who isn't elite at any one aspect of the game but very good at everything. Think of Bonino on the Pens a few years ago.

I don't disagree. Legit Cup contenders often have a third line center who could handle second line duties, a fifth defenceman who can handle top 4 duties, three first pairing defencemen and 6 wingers who can score.

But some of the people who suggest Danault should be a 3rd or 4th line center say that he has no offensive talent and that he is a black hole into which offence disappears, etc.

Their statements seem not to be in sync with reality.

Reactions: Belial

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

His salary at barely more than 3M is also a steal for that production level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad