Montreal columnist Jack Todd wants shootout in Stanley Cup playoffs

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
This guy is known to be one of the worst sports journalists of all time. He's the very definition of unqualified person having a job they shouldn't. I don't know who he suckered into giving him the position he has but he's absolutely brutal. I don't believe he's ever once made a good article or anything other than stuff 99% of readers disagree with.

Worst part is I don't even think he does it intentionally to troll, I think he's actually serious. The guy is a hack of the most epic proportions it isn't even possible to achieve the tier of hackiness he has achieved, nobody else is on his level and nobody else will be far long after he passes.

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
The beauty of the Charter...it allows stuff like this to be written. Is he serious? No skills competition should ever decide a playoff game. Heck, I would be okay with continuous overtime in the regular season too.
Scott Burnside used to complain that the NHL should use a 2-3-2 format for the playoffs to be more "environmentally friendly". It had nothing to do with him hating to travel more in the 2-2-1-1-1 system. :sarcasm:
2-3-2 could work though especially given that that might have been the 2003 Finals which requires 5 different transcontinental trips.

OttawaKing

May 24, 2012
This guy is known to be one of the worst sports journalists of all time. He's the very definition of unqualified person having a job they shouldn't. I don't know who he suckered into giving him the position he has but he's absolutely brutal. I don't believe he's ever once made a good article or anything other than stuff 99% of readers disagree with.

Worst part is I don't even think he does it intentionally to troll, I think he's actually serious. The guy is a hack of the most epic proportions it isn't even possible to achieve the tier of hackiness he has achieved, nobody else is on his level and nobody else will be far long after he passes.

and upon what basis are you making this claim? If he is that bad, why did they send him to cover the Olympics in Athens?

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
and upon what basis are you making this claim? If he is that bad, why did they send him to cover the Olympics in Athens?

The basis that every single one of his articles is terrible. Why do people unqualified get positions they're not qualified for and are utterly terrible at? So he went to the Olympics and this proves he's top notch? Okay then :laugh:

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Not saying I want shootouts in the playoffs, but as a devil's advocate there are at least 2 arguments for it:

1) Watching 30 second line changes and players skating in mud in OT is not enjoyable at all if you're a casual fan.

2) Shootouts are incredibly cruel, but at least it doesn't put the winning team through physical he**.

Realm

Jun 5, 2005
Not saying I want shootouts in the playoffs, but as a devil's advocate there are at least 2 arguments for it:

1) Watching 30 second line changes and players skating in mud in OT is not enjoyable at all if you're a casual fan.

2) Shootouts are incredibly cruel, but at least it doesn't put the winning team through physical he**.

Are you kidding me? As a non fan of either team that hour + of not knowing when the game or how the game would end was epic! Every line change, or stay out too long chance is what its all about. Not 1 on 1 BS, this is hockey. blood, guts, decisions...as a non fan of either team it was fantastic, and as a fan of either team is was torture! That should not end on 3 shooters.

Vual Grimoire

May 11, 2017
Another big mouth who's never played the game - like pretty much the rest of the hockey writers out there.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Another big mouth who's never played the game - like pretty much the rest of the hockey writers out there.

FZ9iean.gif

OttawaKing

May 24, 2012
The basis that every single one of his articles is terrible. Why do people unqualified get positions they're not qualified for and are utterly terrible at? So he went to the Olympics and this proves he's top notch? Okay then :laugh:

Pretty sure he went to school for journalism and has worked as a journalist his whole life. He's also a pretty good writer when it comes to novels. Just because someone has an opinion you don't like doesn't mean they're terrible.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
Jack todd is probably the least respected Habs journalist in montreal, and that is saying a lot considering some of the other buffoons we have to deal with a constant basis

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Imagine if a shootout decided the game last night, and Pittsburgh didn't win. There would be a media outrage, and rightfully so.

Mashed Potatoes

Feb 14, 2015
Great idea. Great ******* idea. Seriously, if the players could show some emotions and stop having shootouts every single day and it would be great. Just like soccer.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Pretty sure he went to school for journalism and has worked as a journalist his whole life. He's also a pretty good writer when it comes to novels. Just because someone has an opinion you don't like doesn't mean they're terrible.

I'm not saying his writing is terrible or that he's an uneducated idiot, I'm saying his current line of work (sports journalism, mainly about hockey) and him do not mesh. It isn't just one opinion I do not like, overwhelming majority of his opinions are routinely nonsense as agreed upon by the majority of people who read his articles.

Like I said, the guy knows how to write I'm not disputing it. His opinions on the team and hockey in general are baffling. It's like he doesn't even watch the sport and is just doing this because he fell into this gig. I don't blame him for taking the job, but he's terrible when it comes to opinions on hockey and the Habs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad