Montreal columnist Jack Todd wants shootout in Stanley Cup playoffs

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
http://montrealgazette.com/sports/j...der-of-what-bettman-and-co-will-be-denying-us

:popcorn::popcorn:

This time of year, weary with the endless slog of the NHL playoffs, I would cheerfully turn to international hockey and its single-game eliminations. I could even embrace the shootout. While I realize this view is apostasy in Canada, it’s time the NHL took the sensible, humane route and went to the shootout to settle the result after one full period of overtime.

Yes, even if it’s Game 7 of the Stanley Cup final. If it’s good enough for the World Cup (the real World Cup, not Bettman’s Toronto farce), then it’s good enough for the Stanley Cup. I have no desire to watch five overtimes and even less desire to see exhausted players slogging their way through terrible ice until a puck ricochets through three skates, off someone’s butt and the crossbar and nestles two inches over the line so that we can all go to bed.

Enough. Nothing beats the shootout for sheer, concentrated drama, and at least in hockey (unlike soccer) the goaltender has a real chance — in fact, the goalie has the upper hand. (Just ask the Canadian snipers, after Henrik Lundqvist stopped all four on Sunday.) And if you think the shootout at this level is lacking in something, I refer you to Canada vs. the Czechs at the Nagano Olympics.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
The only thing he wanted was clicks, no serious hockey fan could possibly agree with that, OT Playoff hockey is the most intense thing in sports.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
All he does is hunt for clicks. He said that the lottery was rigged in favour of the Leafs last year. He blocked me when I asked him why they wouldn't rig the McDavid lottery instead of the Matthews one for the Leafs.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Montreal columnist Jack Todd wants attention, gets it

The only thing he wanted was clicks, no serious hockey fan could possibly agree with that, OT Playoff hockey is the most intense thing in sports.

All he does is hunt for clicks. He said that the lottery was rigged in favour of the Leafs last year. He blocked me when I asked him why they wouldn't rig the McDavid lottery instead of the Matthews one for the Leafs.

Succinctly summed up perfectly in the first 3 responses.

*doesn't give him a click and moves on with life knowing that nobody actually wants this garbage*

CrashBartley

Nov 19, 2014

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
What a loser. The best thing in the nhl is playoff overtime. Nothing better but this clown would rather a shootout:laugh:

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton
As a fan of the shootout and 3v3 I don't want either anywhere near the playoffs. Having it the way it is just "feels right". 3v3 and shootouts are fun and keep games from going forever and eliminates the need for ties (which I personally hate). But playoffs need to be kept how they are.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Sports columnist doesn't want to miss a deadline/stay up all night writing due to lengthy overtimes.

He should go work a real job for awhile so he can appreciate his privileged position.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Jack Todd shows once again why Sports Journalism is not taken seriously.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
This guy is the worst hockey writer in English Montreal, possibly even all of English Canada. He barely gets refrenced on the Canadiens forum, please don't click him here.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I knew a guy who wanted a pet squirrel...so he went out and caught one... it bit him a ton and ravaged his house...then escaped.... that guy was an idiot... Adding a shootout to the SCP insteadof perpetual sudden death is a way worse idea... I hope someone bites the guy who wrote this... multiple times....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad