GDT: Montreal Canadiens vs Winnipeg Jets 3/5/16 7:00pm EST SN,TVA, TSN 690

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Absolutely. Yet, not the coach. The obvious is that how stupid would a GM look if your 7M$ centerman is playing as the 3rd C? Clearly, Therrien still plays to keep his job, so would be immensely surprise to see the day Pleks is just a bottom 6 player. But yeah, I woud most definately do it. Eller played incredible these past weeks as a center and now he,s on the wings. Sure, he is "replaced" by Pleks....but I'm sure DD is not that far away on Therrien's mind. So if the idea is to finally ( I don't believe it for one second) to make Galchy a centerman...it will mean that Pleks will be #2C. At best, Eller will be #3C.

So maybe, just maybe, we could keep Galchy-Pleks as our top 6 C...but maybe moved whoever on the wings not named Eller...and that's INCLUDING McCarron, Danault and or DLR.

Is playing Plekanec on the wing even a consideration?

Do you think it would work? I'd be curious to try to experiment, while on one hand, his defensive play would be missed down the middle (though Eller is no slouch in this area) but on the other hand, he has no creativity at all, so his style might work best on the wing.

I don't know, and I'm sure you'll probably just chalk this down to me being a 'Plekanec hater', but Ellen's performance as a center in the top 6 has me intrigued, why not use the remaining games to test that out.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I love Plek, he's a fantastic player, but I think it's evident we need to move him... unless:
Pacioretty-Galch-Gally
DD-Eller-McCarron
Carr-Plekanec-Ghetto
Matteau-Mitchell-Danault

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Is playing Plekanec on the wing even a consideration?

Do you think it would work? I'd be curious to try to experiment, while on one hand, his defensive play would be missed down the middle (though Eller is no slouch in this area) but on the other hand, he has no creativity at all, so his style might work best on the wing.

I don't know, and I'm sure you'll probably just chalk this down to me being a 'Plekanec hater', but Ellen's performance as a center in the top 6 has me intrigued, why not use the remaining games to test that out.

Look at Plekanecs stats line for the last five years, then look at his defensive play... you're just trying way too hard.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Look at Plekanecs stats line for the last five years, then look at his defensive play... you're just trying way too hard.

I'm looking at his stats line the past 5 years

52pts, 33pts (lockout year), 43pts, 60pts and 46pts this year

What's your point?

Am I supposed to expect less/more for a player who is our 1st line center?

I don't understand what your point is here? I don't really care about Plekanec stats from 3-4 years ago, I'm more concerned with where he's at now and where he's headed

He has 12 goals this year, 7 of those 12 goals were scored during the first month of this hockey season (Oct 7 to Nov 7).

3 of his 12 goals this year were in empty net goals, which means he has 9 goals from open play this year.

You might be OK with that....but I expect more, that's just how I feel about if

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

What's your point?

I don't understand what your point is here?

1. He's not our first line center, he's our most used center.
2. He's not a first line center, he's a second line center.
3. Look at his peers around the league, he compares fairly well.
4. Letting go of Plekanec means we need to replace him, but short from Matthews, no one is going to come in and outplay him.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

What's your point?

I don't understand what your point is here? I don't really care about Plekanec stats from 3-4 years ago, I'm more concerned with where he's at now and where he's headed

He has 12 goals this year, 7 of those 12 goals were scored during the first month of this hockey season (Oct 7 to Nov 7).

3 of his 12 goals this year were in empty net goals, which means he has 9 goals from open play this year.

You might be OK with that....but I expect more, that's just how I feel about if

Yet, he's still pacing for 60 points... crazy to think ? I really like that you're bringing up goals only.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
1. He's not our first line center, he's our most used center.
2. He's not a first line center, he's a second line center.
3. Look at his peers around the league, he compares fairly well.
4. Letting go of Plekanec means we need to replace him, but short from Matthews, no one is going to come in and outplay him.

1. plekanec has spent the majority of the year playing with Pacioretty and Gallagher and also 1st unit PP time....so not sure what you're talking about

2. I'm well aware of what chair suits him better, that's not the point here

3. Who are his peers?

4. I never said we should 'let Plekanec go'...so not sure what you're talking about here

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Yet, he's still pacing for 60 points... crazy to think ? I really like that you're bringing up goals only.

He's not pacing for 60 points lol and even if he somehow manages to get there, which is going to be difficult given how he's played this year

It still doesn't prove anything...Desharnais got 60pts one year too

Points is one thing, impact is a whole other

A few games ago Plekanec got an assist because he happened to glance a puck befor it got to another teammate, who then passed the puck to Gallagher who scored

I mean, great, he got an assist....but what impact did he have on that play? None.

You can look at his final season total all you want, but it doesnt measure his impact.

And btw - I'm strictly referring to his impact offensively, I've got not qualms about how he plays defensively (though I don't think he's nearly as good in that aspect as he's given credit for)

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Agitated best describes how I feel about these lines tonight.
Lars Eller is so much more effective at center. Why on earth put him back on the wing? This coach is so utterly clueless it makes me want to scream.
Why can't Plek play a regular shift at LW? Play him at center on the PP and PK if you must but Eller is that big center we need. Sickening.

I predict the duo of Galchenyuk and Pacioretty lasts less than a period.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He's not pacing for 60 points lol and even if he somehow manages to get there, which is going to be difficult given how he's played this year

It still doesn't prove anything...Desharnais got 60pts one year too

Points is one thing, impact is a whole other

So you're saying that points don't matter that much... okay, I'm actually fine with this opinion.

Now you're going to tell me Plekanec isn't our best defensive forward ? You're going to tell me he's not our best PK forward ?

Sure, he takes a lot of low percentage shot, he doesn't play a highlight reel game, but you are reaching.

Also, he's pacing for 58 Points.

Kraniumm

Hanshan
Jan 1, 2015
BC
I've no problem with Eller at wing for this game... if it's to see how the kids on the bottom 6 play + we've given up on the playoffs. As the lines stand for this game, our best players are in the top 6 - we just happen to have 3 centers there. Chucky needs to be 1C for a good long stretch (I'd leave him there for the rest of the season).

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
i like the lines honestly

that first line is the line ive wanted to see for a year now

not worried about mac on the 4th centering interesting players

what bothers me more is eller on pleks wing...

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014

Plek is dead right now, anyone on his wing is going to freeze.

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009

I think Mac on the 4th is a good place for him to break into the NHL.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Danault looks like a good pick-up, always good when his former fans miss the player. You can bet since it's a hockey town he came from that he at least is a hard worker. Matteau, we will see , but fine. I like DLR. BUT. The young players I really want to see are the offensive players. Let's send DLR down and bring up Hudon. I pick DLR since he is younger.

And no, Danault is not a replacement for Eller, and neither is DLR. I think we need a 3rd line that can kick in some goals, and Eller is the guy for that.

OpenIceHit

Oct 3, 2006
Toronto
What?? Is this a dream? Is this really happening??? Galchenyuk at C?? Is this for real? Did MT finally realize that's where he belongs? At game no.66? But where is DD going to play next week? And how long will it last? For the remaining 16 games? 2.5 games? 2 periods? Until DD's return?

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Poor Eller, not only is he playing wing, but he has to be centered by the offense killer Plekanec.

Plekanec, where offense goes to die. I really don't understand how he's consistently one of our top players production wise. It's one of life's great mysteries. he just does not generate any chances or make his line mates any better.

He never has chemistry with anyone. Except Patches but Patches has been miserable this year.

That pic of MT holding the grinder is actually really frigging hilarious.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
What?? Is this a dream? Is this really happening??? Galchenyuk at C?? Is this for real? Did MT finally realize that's where he belongs? At game no.66? But where is DD going to play next week? And how long will it last? For the remaining 16 games? 2.5 games? 2 periods? Until DD's return?

He did it because Eller was going on a point per game tear in the top 6 as a center. He's hoping both Chucky and Eller go cold so he can insert DD back in the top 6 as a center.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Plekanec, where offense goes to die. I really don't understand how he's consistently one of our top players production wise. It's one of life's great mysteries. he just does not generate any chances or make his line mates any better.

He never has chemistry with anyone. Except Patches but Patches has been miserable this year.

That pic of MT holding the grinder is actually really frigging hilarious.

This is also not true. Plekanec and Pacioretty had chemistry together. This year Pacioretty is just as bad so I wouldn't put all blame on Pleks. Pleks also have chemistry with Galchenyuk, Gallagher (who doesn't), Gionta and Cammalleri. Which is about all the best wingers we've had in lately.

I will never believe the theory that Plekanec is a lazy player and I don't think he's lacking implications this year. He's playing the same way as always did IMO, for some reason, he's not as effective. His shot is lower than usual. THe reason people are hating on him is because the team doesn't win and he got a raised. The guy is still on pace for 60 pts which is the same as last season and a very respectable production for a bottom 1st line center in the league. People expecting him to produce even more just because he had a raise is ridiculous. He was never a legit 1st center, he was never a center that made his wingers better, he's just an honest hockey players that plays a consistent effort. This year has been a messed just like the Cunneyworth's year but I don't think he deserves the hate he's getting here.

Last edited:

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
He did it because Eller was going on a point per game tear in the top 6 as a center. He's hoping both Chucky and Eller go cold so he can insert DD back in the top 6 as a center.

Pretty much. I can't believe Eller hasn't asked for a trade. I just hope he sticks it out here till after this moron coach is gone (and it won't be next year)

I'm really not excited at all for Galchenyuk to play with Patches. Patches has been pretty awful all year. I really do think it's because of his injury in the offseason so i'm willing to give him a pass. i'm not the biggest patches fan but he can be much much better than this. i even think he was still injured a bit when he first started the season.

you know something's wrong with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad