Post-Game Talk: Montreal Canadiens vs. New Jersey Devils @ 7:00 p.m. ET (Rookie Game #2/3)

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
I hope Rohrer and Engstrom will be good prospects because the CH has passed twice over Jordan Dumais who already has 4 pts in 2 games at the Traverse City Prospect Tournament. A player with 109 pts in his second junior season is impressive and I wanted the Habs to select him..

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I hope Rohrer and Engstrom will be good prospects because the CH has passed twice over Jordan Dumais who already has 4 pts in 2 games at the Traverse City Prospect Tournament. A player with 109 pts in his second junior season is impressive and I wanted the Habs to select him..

They're good prospects with no skating deficiencies.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
At the end of the day if your 25-33 pick turns into a great 3rd liner that’s great value

Yes, but at the end of the day when given the choice they gambled on the higher upside Mesar before Beck. With two picks in that range, it was a good strategy to diversify the level of risk.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I was quite impressed with Beck after the first game. He seemed to almost take it to another level tonight. Mesar continues to impress me. I'm good with the decision to start him off in the OHL. Though I can see why some figure Laval would be better for him. Also my little Simoneau, gawd I love that kid. I find myself cheering for him, whenever he has the puck.

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
I did. Doesn't mean he's bad. Doesn't mean I'm right. But I'm giving up. And if he does have little to no value, well so is Nils Lundqvist. So trade 1 for 1.
This year is Norlinder’s best shot. Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me, but he looks bigger. His passes are sharp and he skates well. Even if he doesn’t score, he puts oil in the offensive machinery, he also is good in transition. It’s all up to him, he deserves an honest opportunity to make the team.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Time to move on from Norlinder. Do it now before it's too late. If it's not already.
I doubt he ever had much trade value. Might as well roll with Norlinder see how plays out. Not many has his offense ability. But doesn't look good right now. A couple years in Laval could be good on him though

Johnny31

Aug 4, 2017
Where can we see stats results of the other games ?

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Way too early to tell. He played well as a rookie in the AHL as a rookie. It's a shame he got injured, but what he was showing was on pace for more than decent AHLer.

Now, how he comes back from injury will be something to watch for this season.
Just too many bodies ahead of him to pierce in this organization IMO.

Maybe he could get a better chance somewhere else and make it to the big leagues...

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I have to give credit to Habs scouts and Hughes — they did a great job assessing this prospect.
Slafkovsky, Mesar, Beck & Hutson has the potential to be the team’s best draft since 1984 ( Svoboda, Corson, Richer & Roy). All it takes is one good draft to alter the fortunes of any team.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016

Rohrer looks like a very solid prospect. Engstrom seem like a wildcard, he have great tools. Better prospect than Norlinder IMO.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Sooooooy un perdadoooor.

We are losers baby, but Beck is a beauty.
Much better to have the best player on the ice than to be celebratory about winning a largely meaningless game. And yes, celebratory is a real word.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

Maybe he could get a better chance somewhere else and make it to the big

Maybe he could get a better chance somewhere else and make it to the big leagues...
Barely 30 games of AHL experience, sample size too small to make this assessment.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
The forgotten D prospect named Fairbrother deserves a serious shot. I hope he has come prepared to take advantage of this opportunity.
A decent D prospect no one talks about.
Some may have forgotten him. I thought he was as impressive as Guhle at last year’s camp. I still think it is to be determined whether that assessment is based on an overestimation of Fairbrother or an underestimation of Guhle.

Last edited:

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
He’s got excellent French.

Much too well spoken to call a game. :laugh:

That clean delivery, smooth voice, great name pronunciations, eloquent expressions, jumping in and out of the action with measured polish — this guy should be giving conferences.

Who is he? He’s damn good. Can’t believe TVA has the Castrato doing their games when this guy would provide instant credibility.
René Lecavalier (from French Hockey Night in canada back when) also had perfect French and was great

Reactions: Fenris and Rapala

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
Owen Beck seems to have received the most attention and accolades in this thread.

Short sample size of only 2 games but man, he came to play. This guy may just force a lot of decisions when he’s done in the OHL, his play has been solid.

when Beck was drafted one of the talking heads stated that “Beck has the same skill set as Shane Wright, but with a better engine”. I remember thinking this guy has to way off & then friends of mine (not Habs fans) we’re texting how much they loved Beck & Rohrer picks.

it’s only 2 games but I like the fact that 4 of our draft picks seem have a serious buzz following them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad