Confirmed with Link: Montreal Canadiens Sign Paul Byron to 4-Year Extension ($3.4M AAV)

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Well I won't do all the work because I'm lazy but our average age at the end of last season was 25.4

Forwards over age 25
Plekanec (gone at the end of the year)
Byron (28)
Shaw (26)
Gallagher (25)

Yeah, I'd say they could use some veteran presence. Byron will be our oldest forward next year lol.
You still havent addressed the rest of my post... anyways, we have the vets until the end of this season. With all the cap space we have, it really wouldnt have been an issue to get some vets for next year.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
I guess you must have missed every trade deadline ever.

Every trade deadline there are a handful of players that get traded for a 1st. Out of 1000 players in the league. The idea that Byron is that player that a GM is going to trade a first for is pretty naive. So question really is would you rather have the 50th pick in 2020 or Byron? Cause Byron for a first while possible is mostly fantasy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgy

PriceIsGod

Carey Please :)
Jul 15, 2012
You know...
Really saw us trading him honestly but really happy with this signing. Despite a huge overhaul on offense he's someone I'm happy to keep. But it really makes you wonder who Bergevin plans on getting rid of.. We just dont have the room

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I guess you must have missed every trade deadline ever.

Last 10 trades involving 1st round picks

1st+ for Duchene
1st+ for EK
1st+ for ROR
1st+ for McDonagh
1st+ for Tatar
1st+ for Evander Kane
1st+ for Stastny
1st for Hartman
1st+ for Rick Nash

Where does Byron fit in that list? he won't get you a 1st

Reactions: Edgy

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
The whole purpose of bringing back Plekanec was for leadership. You can always sign vets in free agency too. And who knows if Byron would have came back if we had traded him.

Plekanec was brought in for one year, nevertheless. He'll help in that department but it's not like he'll show the kids everything in one year and then they're ready once he goes. Someone like Byron can help keep it going after Plekanec is gone again.

Also, signing vets in free agency every year is not the best way to get the kids ready. They'll keep having new "teachers" every year instead of having some stability with some teammates.

And you're right. We don't know if Byron would have come back as a free agent like Plekanec did. But I'm more than fine if the organization decided not to find out. It's not that I was opposed to trading Byron. But I think he fits the type of style they want to play and he's made for today's NHL, even at 29 years old.

crazyd74

Jun 24, 2018
Really saw us trading him honestly but really happy with this signing. Despite a huge overhaul on offense he's someone I'm happy to keep. But it really makes you wonder who Bergevin plans on getting rid of.. We just dont have the room

Andrew Shaw...he won't make it to the end of his contract healthy. He now provides instability in the roster.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Overpay much Marc? Yikes. I'll hang up and listen to your reply.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

This is an interesting question. The Habs are stacked in a lot of positions, most notably on the wing. Someone's got to go before the season starts.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Every trade deadline there are a handful of players that get traded for a 1st. Out of 1000 players in the league. The idea that Byron is that player that a GM is going to trade a first for is pretty naive. So question really is would you rather have the 50th pick in 2020 or Byron? Cause Byron for a first while possible is mostly fantasy.
Almost as much of a fantasy as thinking he would have only gotten us a late 2nd. Considerably shittier players have gotten more than a late 2nd.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Plekanec was brought in for one year, nevertheless. He'll help in that department but it's not like he'll show the kids everything in one year and then they're ready once he goes. Someone like Byron can help keep it going after Plekanec is gone again.

Also, signing vets in free agency every year is not the best way to get the kids ready. They'll keep having new "teachers" every year instead of having some stability with some teammates.

And you're right. We don't know if Byron would have come back as a free agent like Plekanec did. But I'm more than fine if the organization decided not to find out. It's not that I was opposed to trading Byron. But I think he fits the type of style they want to play and he's made for today's NHL, even at 29 years old.
It's not like the entire forward core has no nhl experience. They aren't rookies, they have played a good bit of nhl games. If Weber and Price, who are signed for the next decade, aren't here to help young players by showing leadership,this franchise is even worse than I thought.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Once again Bergevin does not know anything about asset management....trade Byron get assets back then sign him......so he signs 31 year old Byron but will not sign the better player 31 year old Radulov.

You know, it's funny. Lots of people, me included, were disappointed we did not re-sign Radulov. But had we done so and not finished final four last year, the pro-tankers would be calling for us to dump him to open a roster spot, and yet I see many of the pro-tank posters were part of the group that were not happy Radulov was not signed.

I think most of us will feel better when Marc Bergevin is fired and someone else takes over the rebuild.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Hartman, Hansen(1st like prospect), Hanzal, Eaves, Perron,Vermette...etc.

I think the last 10 trades are more reflective on how the market is valuing 1st round picks more than your trades that date as far back to 2014 IIRC.

Hanzal/Hartman (23 yo former 1st) are the two recent ones from 2017/18 and were brutal though...I think those steals are more unlikely than you think though. Just look at what the recent 1st trades were involved in.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Typical Bergevin move. I hate this contract. There's a logjam at the position of winger. Byron is a small player in a team that already counts too many of them. And I doubt he'll keep that pace very long. I see him not lasting many years in his "prime".

He'd be the first guy I would have traded. Get this guy on another team and he'll pull a Vrbata/Grabner and fall back into irrelevance.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Room for whom? DeLaRose or Peca? That would be Plekanec. On the wing? What is the rush?

If I were GM, I'd be happy to trade from a position of strength and maybe move a good winger for a good D. But in the meantime, you secure your assets and securing Byron is a positive, especially if what you want is a fast, hustling team with some skill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad