Confirmed with Link: Montreal Canadiens Sign Paul Byron to 4-Year Extension ($3.4M AAV)

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
By the time Byron is on the last year of this contract, he'll have minimal trade value. Too much term for a regular season only player whose game will never translate in the playoffs.

He makes 1 million bucks this season...crazy...
He's been a real steal for us .....

then his contract for next 4 years is structured like this:

4 million
2.8 million
4 million
2.8 million

His last year of his contact he'll be worth way more than 2.8 million..IMHO

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I'm not saying I like Lehkonen more than Scherbak. I don't. I was talking about opportunity and how the Habs management sees things. They think Scherbak can produce in the bottom 6. That's not his game. Lehkonen is more versatile and he can survive on the 3rd line.

It's easy for me. Put Lehkonen on the 3rd line cause we all know his skill set. Try Scherbak in the top 6 and on the PP. We have to see what this kid can do in a solid sample size. Not just one game or moving him up and down the line-up game after game.

Certain players don't belong in the bottom 6, Scherbak is one of them. Find out if he is top 6 potential by playing him in the top 6

But we did. At least half of Scherbak's games last year were with Galchenyuk on the second line. And he got more PP time per game than Lehkonen, just like you suggest.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
But we did. At least half of Scherbak's games last year were with Galchenyuk on the second line. And he got more PP time per game than Lehkonen, just like you suggest.

I'll have to trust you but half of games last year was like what? 13 games? His 26 games were separated by an injury? I'd like to see a larger sample size than this. He had 30 pts in 26 AHL games playing on a depleted roster. This kid has talent no matter what people tell me. I think he deserves a shot just as much as any other prospect.

Two issues with him.... Maturity and Health. He needs to get stronger and he needs to mature and make smarter decisions with the puck. That comes with time and 29 career games is not enough.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I'll have to trust you but half of games last year was like what? 13 games? His 26 games were separated by an injury? I'd like to see a larger sample size than this. He had 30 pts in 26 AHL games playing on a depleted roster. This kid has talent no matter what people tell me. I think he deserves a shot just as much as any other prospect.

Two issues with him.... Maturity and Health. He needs to get stronger and he needs to mature and make smarter decisions with the puck. That comes with time and 29 career games is not enough.
Yes Scherbak has potential, and he should not be waived, nor traded for a bag of pucks. He's young enough to still possibly get better, just like I've advocated for DeLaRose, just a few months older.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yes Scherbak has potential, and he should not be waived, nor traded for a bag of pucks. He's young enough to still possibly get better, just like I've advocated for DeLaRose, just a few months older.

DLR has played 119 games vs Scherbak at 29. Scherbak needs more time before we make any decisions on him. He needs to stay healthy and play a full season

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Pure speed with medium skill is actually commonplace in this league. Andrew Cogliano and Michael Grabner are also pure speed forwards with limited offensive ceilings. Forwards with Byron's skillset do not age very well or maintain their performance upon a demotion from the top 6. Only on bad teams like Montreal does Byron have the ability to get top 6 time.
Cogs and Grabner both have value in this league. And I think Byron has trade value even with this contract. I think he's far below cap-anchors like Alzner and Shaw.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad