Confirmed with Link: Montreal Canadiens Sign Paul Byron to 4-Year Extension ($3.4M AAV)

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Grabner. Nothing against Paul, I like the player. However, this was not the right move. Should have gotten some picks.

He played in the top 6 with Hayes/Miller or Zuccarello/Miller...next?
source

I'd like to extend this challenge to anyone else who is also saying Byron is an expensive 3rd or 4th liner. If he is a bottom 6 player, he has to be one of the best ones out there (aside from Kadri)

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
It's a good deal as long as Byron stays a 20 goal scorer. Don't forget that he was on waivers a couple years ago, could easily regress to that level.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
While the cap is fine, I would never sign a bottom 6 guy for over 3 years. Bergevin just pissed away his chance to get a 1st back for a player that he can easily replace.

You are contridicting yourself. If he is easy to replace why would any team give up a first for him?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
It's a good deal as long as Byron stays a 20 goal scorer. Don't forget that he was on waivers a couple years ago, could easily regress to that level.

... Some decisions are more stupid than others.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
He played in the top 6 with Hayes/Miller or Zuccarello/Miller...next?
source

I'd like to extend this challenge to anyone else who is also saying Byron is an expensive 3rd or 4th liner. If he is a bottom 6 player, he has to be one of the best ones out there (aside from Kadri)
Nobody is upset with the player, some are upset because this doesn't fit our direction at all.

Reactions: stanley25

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Good signing. Honestly don’t see why anyone doesn’t like it.
Good player on a good deal. An asset that can still be moved in the future if need be.
You don’t need to trade ever player over 25, because you want to rebuild. You need veterans for any rebuild.

I think everyone likes the signing, some people are just under the impression we were going to get a huge haul for him at the deadline.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Once again Bergevin does not know anything about asset management....trade Byron get assets back then sign him......so he signs 31 year old Byron but will not sign the better player 31 year old Radulov.

He's not 31

What is wrong with you guys? Never seen a bigger bunch of complainers

He wasn't on waivers because he was bad, calgary didn't want a player of his type. There's a massive difference.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Nobody is upset with the player, some are upset because this doesn't fit our direction at all.

Why not? He's a cheap veteran forward who isn't a skilled one so he won't take icetime away from our top prospects down the road. Would you rather we ice all kids and crash like Edmonton did? Or did you really really want that late 2nd round pick that badly?

Last edited:

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
You are contridicting yourself. If he is easy to replace why would any team give up a first for him?
Not contradicting at all. Teams pay for help at the deadline. A fantastic penalty killer that can pot 20 goals is a great asset for a team that wants to go on a cup run. The habs are just absolutely loaded with wingers where they can easily replace him.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I remember when we signed this scrub to a 3 year deal at 1.16 M and fans were going crazy.

Good times :laugh:

Last edited:

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Except he does imo. He can play on any line and special teams. Works his butt off every shift and has speed to burn on a team that is looking to get faster. As the kids transition to the big club, he'll hold the fort and then take over defensive forward duties so the youngsters don't have to. It's a smart move.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
He's not 31

What is wrong with you guys? Never seen a bigger bunch of complainers

He wasn't on waivers because he was bad, calgary didn't want a player of his type. There's a massive difference.

...Actually, he was on waivers because Calgary thought they could sneak him down while dealing in the fallout of an injury.

Reactions: groovejuice

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Not sure why people are upset. You still need decent players even when rebuilding, can't ice a team of Benns, Pleks and Schlemkos for the next 5 years.

You need a decent example to show the kids how it's done and Byron works hard, he's responsible defensively, and the deal is very cap friendly.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Except he does imo. He can play on any line and special teams. Works his butt off every shift and has speed to burn on a team that is looking to get faster. As the kids transition to the big club, he'll hold the fort and then take over defensive forward duties so the youngsters don't have to. It's a smart move.
Hold the fort? Hes a bottom 6 player and we already need to trade/waive some of those because there is no room.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

I personally think he does fit the direction. Sure, they're looking to get younger. But they're also looking to get faster. Not many in the NHL are faster than Byron. And I don't only mean his skating. But he plays fast. He fits all over your line-up with anyone he's put with. He can play all forward positions so he's versatile.

But more in terms of the direction, the fact it's a 4-year contract, means that they will give the prospects time to develop. By the time the 2017 and 2018 picks make their way to the Habs roster, Byron will either already be gone or at the end of his deal.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Hold the fort? Hes a bottom 6 player and we already need to trade/waive some of those because there is no room.

Again, care to name other bottom 6 players who score back-to-back 20 goal seasons?

you're 0/1 so far by naming Grabner since he played in the top 6 with the Rangers as I proved to you with actual facts...I bet there aren't more than 3 in the league. I can think of Kadri which is debatable.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Again, care to name other bottom 6 players who score back-to-back 20 goal seasons?

you're 0/1 so far...I bet there aren't more than 3.

Grabner. Completely different player other than speed though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad