Confirmed with Link: Montreal Canadiens Sign Paul Byron to 4-Year Extension ($3.4M AAV)

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
These wins in pre-season have gotten to his head. Can't say that I'm unhappy about this but I'm a tad disappointed by the lack of vision here.

This is my takeaway. Just another example of Bergy's lack of vision (we had another good example at the draft with Hillis). We can go over so many of these moves and while they're not bad at face value, but in the grand scheme of things they don't make sense.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
He’s totally worth it. Brings it every game. High end speed, scores and great defensively. At $3.4M isn’t a hardship on the cap or an unreadable contract. He’s also a great example for the youth to model after.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
But I feel this signature means that we'll hold off in trading him for at least one year, or two years logically. (Can't recall the last times a player was traded before his extension kicked in, or one year into it, esp for a blue collar guy like Byron)

Subban

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I was hoping they’d trade him not knowing he’d take a discount. This is a great contract. 20 goals, elite PKer.

And good for him after being waived. He deserves it.

Reactions: cphabs

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
He's a versatile player who's got incredible speed, scores goals and is our best penalty killer. If he's in for another 20 goal season he definitely could have got much more on the open market. I was on the trade him train but this is a good deal. I really like him.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
I don't get it..... too many posters here don't seems to think that you need some good veteran on the team, are we suppose to play only players under 25-26 years olds? Byron is a scoring machine who mostly played on the 4th line the last 2 years and still manage to score over 20 goals each time, what's not to like?

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I was hoping they’d trade him not knowing he’d take a discount. This is a great contract. 20 goals, elite PKer.

And good for him after being waived. He deserves it.
Pauly is a swiss army knife, he can do everything well and for $3.4M....that's a solid contract

Habidelidoo

Aug 3, 2005
Good contract, he took a discount to stay.

His leadership through the re-build is more valuable than the 2nd round pick (or the late 1st?) he would have fetched.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Who's faster or as fast in the league? McDavid? Barzal? There's like 10 guys in the league who can skate with him or outskate him.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Seems like we'll go the Vancouver route of rebuilding on the fly while trying to make the PO. I think our roster is better than what Benning had when he took over but hopefully we can find gems like they did or this will flop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad