Confirmed with Link: Montreal Canadiens Sign Paul Byron to 4-Year Extension ($3.4M AAV)

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Im fine with this. Hes a good vet to have around, but they need to send a few top 9ers away.

Hudon, Shaw, Armia, Scherback, DLR, Gally, Tatar, Lekhonen at least two of those need to leave.

With Armia and Tatar being new acquisitions, i cant see them leaving
Gally cant go either, IMO.

Lekhonen is really young and has good potential.
Scherback, Shaw and Hudon are the three that could go, I personally like to gamble on talent so Id keep Scherby.

Shaw is done, mostly, he needs to go.
Hudon has done really meh so far and Im willing to bet a team would pay good value for him. Plus hes more of what the Habs already have.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He's a good player and this deal is quite fair value wise. However, the correct thing to do was trade him last deadline.

It's high time to convert our plethora of assets on the wing into high quality picks and prospects or dmen.

This contract doesn't help that. We have a log jam at forward and imo young players with little trade value but good ceilings (Hudon, Lehkonen, Scherbak) need to play. They will improve with play.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
We've been in the cellar 2 out of the 3 years he was here and he still resigned.
So you really think Byron would be pissed about being traded to a contender? I think this deal for him is just about getting guaranteed cash in his pocket since he’s made very little money in his career thus far and an injury this year would be devastating for him financially.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Grabner got 3.35M after a bad showing in NJ and they're pretty similar.

Yes, but Grabner also seems like the type of player GMs overvalue.

Regardless, I’m not sure that one contract establishes that this is a below market value deal. Like I said, it’s speculation.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
So you really think Byron would be pissed about being traded to a contender? I think this deal for him is just about getting guaranteed cash in his pocket since he’s made very little money in his career thus far and an injury this year would be devastating for him financially.

Hope you're right. Trading Byron at some point makes all the sense in the world in the short-term context of the team. We're not competing, we have a logjam at wing and he's the most valuable expendable member of the group. Petry, Byron, Shaw, Tatar these four should eventually be shopped for 1sts and 2nds.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Im fine with this. Hes a good vet to have around, but they need to send a few top 9ers away.

Hudon, Shaw, Armia, Scherback, DLR, Gally, Tatar, Lekhonen at least two of those need to leave.

With Armia and Tatar being new acquisitions, i cant see them leaving
Gally cant go either, IMO.

Lekhonen is really young and has good potential.
Scherback, Shaw and Hudon are the three that could go, I personally like to gamble on talent so Id keep Scherby.

Shaw is done, mostly, he needs to go.
Hudon has done really meh so far and Im willing to bet a team would pay good value for him. Plus hes more of what the Habs already have.

DLR ain't a top 9
Shaw either.
Then there will be injuries.
Not sure why anyone has to go.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Hope you're right. Trading Byron at some point makes all the sense in the world in the short-term context of the team. We're not competing, we have a logjam at wing and he's the most valuable expendable member of the group. Petry, Byron, Shaw, Tatar these four should eventually be shopped for 1sts and 2nds.
I definitely do agree with the premise that Byron should be traded. I just don't think this contract prevents that. We'll see what happens, I think someone needs to go by the start of the year though or we're going to be risking guys like Scherbak through waivers. And this deal certainly does make Byron a lot less likely to be that guy.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Byron to me is one of those guys whose true value is greater than his perceived value. A guy who can give you 20 plus goals while playing with anyone (doesn't need a playmaking cente,r can play with goons on a 4th line) and being an elite PKer is a rare player.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
Byron is a good player and it's a nice contract for all parties but I really thought we would move him. It's becoming clear that MB has us pegged as a contender now since we won a couple preseason games. He feels our D is big time improved and we are ready to challenge for a cup.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
We can't trade all our veterans. We'll need good examples on this team to lead the way.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We would have gotten close to it. I think we would have gotten a first. Given what others have gone for in the past

What other 5'9, 160 lbs 20 goal scoring winger got a 1st? I think he's better than a lot of players that got a 1st, but I'm not sure other GMs see it that way.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I definitely do agree with the premise that Byron should be traded. I just don't think this contract prevents that. We'll see what happens, I think someone needs to go by the start of the year though or we're going to be risking guys like Scherbak through waivers. And this deal certainly does make Byron a lot less likely to be that guy.

It doesn't prevent a trade, but I think it signals Marc isn't looking to trade him.

Reactions: Andrei79

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
it's not a bad deal - especially to the UFA comparable/s. Bergevin obviously feels habs are closer to being a playoff team than not. If he's wrong, you deal hm in a couple of years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->