HF Habs: Montreal Canadiens Hockey Ops - Part 2

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
All good points.

I agree, that is an intriguing group.

Still, I just can’t help but feel underwhelmed that the head scout spearheading this rebuild came packaged with the new VP of hockey ops. There wasn’t a rising star somewhere in the league that we could have poached? Maybe Bobrov was the best option, but the optics are that he was the easiest option.
We keep hearing about the genius that is Martin Madden Jr, yet the Ducks continue to struggle year after year despite top-10 picks for the better part of last decade

Drafting 18 year olds is a pure crapshoot to begin with ..

Even simpler, they had Julien Brisebois in their backyard…
Even simpler has Prof Caron drafted Bossy & Denis Savard or Serge Savard not confused Terry Ryan with Shane Doan or Timmins simply asked an orangutan to make the 2003 1st round selection…

Barriwhite

Don’t be shocked by the tone of my voice
Nov 8, 2005
Montreal
You know how it works in hockey. People bring people they previously worked with to their new organization. When you have a familiarity and you know you work well with a person and you have a trust, you will bring them in.

Another example is Dubas hired Spezza in Toronto. As soon as he gets the Pens gig, he brings Spezza over.

I would say that goes beyond just hockey and sports. There is something to be said about working with people you trust and have previously worked with.
That hits closer to home than you can imagine. (Still, I like to think that I was the best man for the job when a former boss poached me a year ago!) :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Adam Michaels

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Even simpler has Prof Caron drafted Bossy & Denis Savard or Serge Savard not confused Terry Ryan with Shane Doan or Timmins simply asked an orangutan to make the 2003 1st round selection…
Doan was picked at #7 in 1995 and we picked #8 so don't understand what you're hinting at.
14 teams missed on Bossy in 1977 - hard to imagine considering his numbers in Laval. Napier pick at #10 wasn't a bust but Bossy would have redefined the 80's for us

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Doan was picked at #7 in 1995 and we picked #8 so don't understand what you're hinting at.
14 teams missed on Bossy in 1977 - hard to imagine considering his numbers in Laval. Napier pick at #10 wasn't a bust but Bossy would have redefined the 80's for us
Yep the Habs were 100% taking Shane Doan and looking back the red flags on Terry Ryan were obvious. He played with Daymond Langkow and his numbers were inflated because of it. Everyone knew his skating was bad. In 2024 no team would take a player with Terry Ryan's skating in the 1st round.

Last edited:
Reactions: mdk

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Savard should shut up as he is the one that recommended Bergevin to begin with. Like based on what? Size of his biceps?

Bergevin was a very qualified candidate.

What if we had bought real estate in the 1990s, Apple and Google stock in the early 2000s and Bitcoin in the early 2010s?

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
Bergevin was a very qualified candidate.

What if we had bought real estate in the 1990s, Apple and Google stock in the early 2000s and Bitcoin in the early 2010s?
My understanding from what Savard said is there was a gap between what Bergevin said during the interviews and how he actually acted as a GM

Barriwhite

Don’t be shocked by the tone of my voice
Nov 8, 2005
Montreal
My understanding from what Savard said is there was a gap between what Bergevin said during the interviews and how he actually acted as a GM
Did Savard ever substantiate what this gap was? Was it in terms of hockey management? I’m thinking in reality it was more a case of Savard projecting Bergevin to welcome his advice and the alumni hanging around, and being surprised when MB shut them off.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
Building through the draft and working as a team if I recall correct. I think it’s from Gervais’ book. Might be wrong.
Did Savard ever substantiate what this gap was? Was it in terms of hockey management? I’m thinking in reality it was more a case of Savard projecting Bergevin to welcome his advice and the alumni hanging around, and being surprised when MB shut them off.

Reactions: Barriwhite

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Day before draft Savard & Andre Boudrias were in an elevator and confused Ryan for Doan, when Jets picked Doan a couple of slots before they thought Habs had got their man in Ryan…

Boudrias was as incompetent as they came and Savard was too busy worrying about his investments vs doing his actual job

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I have been impressed with Kent Hughes for the most part but his handling of the 3 goalie system has been his biggest screw up. Primeau has played 13 games, basically he lost an entire season of development. Now we have Jake Allen whose putrid numbers make him close to untradeable.

Reactions: BLONG7 and Levard

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
I have been impressed with Kent Hughes for the most part but his handling of the 3 goalie system has been his biggest screw up. Primeau has played 13 games, basically he lost an entire season of development. Now we have Jake Allen whose putrid numbers make him close to untradeable.
On the other hand, had Sam played more, which he woild have with just two goalies, we might be drafting a lot lower.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I'm not sold on their choice of going the 3-goalie route either, but early in the season, losing Primeau would've seemed like a net loss, and as time went by and it was clear that Allen was surplus to requirements because Primeau could be an effective backup, it became harder and harder to imagine sending Allen down, moreso with a management team that wants to develop a reputation of being player-friendly.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I don't think it's necessarily been a waste for him. Just look at Lindgren in his last season here. He's still been able to practice against NHLers and that's the best he's looked in the NHL.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
a management team that wants to develop a reputation of being player-friendly.
At the same time you want to build a reputation as a management group who is unafraid to do what is best for the team.
Teams do not have to justify moving on from a player but they should be held accountable for the manner in which they do it.
From all accounts HuGo has shown nothing but respect towards all it's athletes and that is enough.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Absolutely agreed.......his giving Allen an extension with a 1M raise was eyebrow raising................and now the 3 headed net minder situation has just been dumb....dumb....dumb.
Other than that, the new regime seems to have us going forward in a better way.

Reactions: Tyson

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
He hoped Allen could put up slightly better numbers and maybe some luck would arise somewhere in the league due to injuries. Allen's play and contract make it almost impossible to move him. Let's just be thankful he pulled off trading Casey DeSmith earlier in the year

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
@Vachon23

Looks like Habs' HO page has been updated.

- They added a Paul Byron in the Player Development section.
- They updated Teddy Purcell's picture in the pro scout section, and they also added Neil Little, who was only a Habs logo.
- They also updated the pictures of Billy Ryan, Fernando Pisani, and Mark Mullen.

The only one who is left to add a picture of is Gordon Clark, who is still the Habs logo.

Reactions: Vachon23

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
@Vachon23

Looks like Habs' HO page has been updated.

- They added a Paul Byron in the Player Development section.
- They updated Teddy Purcell's picture in the pro scout section, and they also added Neil Little, who was only a Habs logo.
- They also updated the pictures of Billy Ryan, Fernando Pisani, and Mark Mullen.

The only one who is left to add a picture of is Gordon Clark, who is still the Habs logo.
Fernando Pisani lol, remember his insane playoff that one year.

Reactions: Leto and bopeep

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Brendan Gallagher's dad is a strength and conditioning coach, maybe Gallagher can retire this off-season and follow in his father's footsteps. The Habs can pay him his $18.5M for the next 3 years to work with our strength and conditioning team.

• Haha
Reactions: David Suzuki

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad