HF Habs: Montreal Canadiens Hockey Ops - Part 2

Barriwhite

Don’t be shocked by the tone of my voice
Nov 8, 2005
Montreal
How can you judge Bobrov work with NYR when you never saw his list and who he likes ?
Well, I saw who Gorton picked, and the fact that Gorton brought Bobrov with him here makes me think they see eye to eye.

Let me be clear, I don’t think they’re incompetent. I just would rather see KH work with his own guy, not Gorton’s.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Woah there, Slaf was first according to the majority of scouts polled by Bob M. It’s not like he was a reach by the Habs.

Of course when Slaf looked like he might be busting people were critical of Bobrov and now that Slaf is doing great people are taking credit away from Bobrov. This board is predictable.

The reality is that on Bob M's list it was a tie between Wright and Slafkovsky, and that there were four or five total guys that could have been justified as #1. Bobrov and the Habs scouting team had a difficult decision to make, and they chose Slafkovsky. They deserve credit if he does well.

Last edited:

Barriwhite

Nov 8, 2005
Montreal
Of course when Slaf looked like he might be busting people were critical of Bobrov and now that Slaf is doing great people are taking credit away from Bobrov. This board is predictable.

The reality is that on Bob M's list it was a tie between Wright and Slafkovsky, and that there were four or five total guys that could have been justified as #1. Bobrov and the Habs scouting team had a difficult decision to make, and they chose Slafkovsky. They deserve credit if he does well.
Not quite. 5 scouts had Slaf, and 4 had Wright. Slaf‘s stock had more momentum as well, it‘s undeniable.

KH said in an interview this week that it was Slaf and it wasn’t close for them. So props to them for reaching that clear cut conclusion, including Bobrov, sure, no problem with that. My point is in light of NB’s overall track record, I wouldn’t see it as a loss if he went to Columbus with Gorton, I would be fully confident moving forward if KH got to work with his own guy.

And don’t paint me with that brush. I always liked the pick and of course I still do.

Reactions: Toene

Barriwhite

Nov 8, 2005
Montreal
Neither were Lafreniere and Kakko
Agreed, pretty consensual picks. I just don’t see any instance where he was particularly shrewd with his top 1st round pick. Hopefully the Reinbacher pick will turn out to be one. Going with Kravtsov over Bouchard and Dobson in 2018 is a head scratcher IMO.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Well, I saw who Gorton picked, and the fact that Gorton brought Bobrov with him here makes me think they see eye to eye.

Let me be clear, I don’t think they’re incompetent. I just would rather see KH work with his own guy, not Gorton’s.
You can never judge decisions by a team that is owned by Dolan . Simple as that . He is a fool who interferes way too much

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Did Slaf really look like he was busting or was it more a case of him being in the wrong place for his first go in NA?
I had no issues with people being critical of his play but writing him completely off like they did was plain dumb.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Geoff Molson.
I called for his ass as President in year three. We needed a buffer at the very least.

I was thinking that buffer could have been Serge Savard. He was the one that recommended Bergevin. But after Bergevin was hired upon HIS suggestion, Bergevin didn't want to keep Savard around. lol Not even as an adviser!

Dude is plainly disrespectful. As a Habs fan, he should be sent into the sun. How much of a self esteem problem you must have to feel threaten by legends and heroes like this. And really be an outright prime time jerk.

Reactions: Rapala

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Reactions: hvac412

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Agreed, pretty consensual picks. I just don’t see any instance where he was particularly shrewd with his top 1st round pick. Hopefully the Reinbacher pick will turn out to be one. Going with Kravtsov over Bouchard and Dobson in 2018 is a head scratcher IMO.
Exactly. You definitely can't complain about the picking Laf and Kakko. Lafreniere is stuck behind established wingers and is doing just OK because he doesn't get any PP time. Kakko has been disappointing so far, but not terrible. Some of the later picks weren't great, though.

Similarly going with Slaf made sense on a number of levels, and that wouldn't have changed if he had busted. Taking Mesar was iffy, though not crazy, and you have to wonder if friendship with Slaf was at least a tie breaker. Hughes is trying to establish a room, though, so bringing in friends may not be a bad idea, and it could justify Zegras if the price tag isn't nuts.

Reactions: Barriwhite

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Based on Bergevin had worked at every levels in hockey organizations and cause he was a former player.
& Interviewed well / beat out the other candidates.

Not the first time a bad hire happened. That MB was left in place for a decade is a Molson issue, not a reflection of Savard

Savard should shut up as he is the one that recommended Bergevin to begin with. Like based on what? Size of his biceps?
What a silly post. Now ppl can't have an opinion after they've made a mistake... :facepalm:

Reactions: Kimota

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad