Confirmed with Link: Montreal Canadien Offer Sheet Sebastian Aho (5 Years @ $8.45M) Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Hmmm. BARELY missed the playoffs, arguably the best prospect group AND getting a guy at 15 who most had ranked top 10.
Ya, I’d say that’s good direction.

I could go on btw.

yup, caufield clearly better than Kaako.

clearly better situation than the Rangers who foolishly took a dedicated rebuild.

Nice that we have a prospect pool similar to what we had after the 2012 draft... too bad the same inept GM is in charge of how those assets will get managed moving forward.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Getting a 2nd and a 3rd for Shaw is definitely not only a cap dump.

If he gets a decent replacement (which shouldn’t be difficult) it’s called solid assets management.

yeah, maybe he can trade away 2x2nd picks to find the replacement... asset management at it's finest :sarcasm:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
"Sebastian Aho's agent, Gerry Johannson, told The Athletic Monday that though the Carolina Hurricanes and Aho weren’t close on a contract extension, the offer sheet his client signed with the Montreal Canadiens was not simply used for leverage in negotiations. But 'Canes owner Tom Dundon says that he will ensure Aho's future remains in Raleigh by matching the offer sheet.

An announcement could come as soon as later Tuesday."

Why would the Canes' owner be in such a rush to publicly announce that he is matching? Perhaps to alleviate the fans' concern by not keeping them waiting and wondering. Certainly not so Bergy can now sign Jake Gardiner and/or others on the second day of free agency or throw out another offer sheet.

Exactly. The owner wants to reassure his season ticket base. He's not going to get a lot of season ticket renewals if this lingers and it would shake whatever confidence their fans have left.

I think he did the right thing. Waiting the 7 days would have hurt him more than it would have impacted the Habs.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
"Sebastian Aho's agent, Gerry Johannson, told The Athletic Monday that though the Carolina Hurricanes and Aho weren’t close on a contract extension, the offer sheet his client signed with the Montreal Canadiens was not simply used for leverage in negotiations. But 'Canes owner Tom Dundon says that he will ensure Aho's future remains in Raleigh by matching the offer sheet.

An announcement could come as soon as later Tuesday."

Why would the Canes' owner be in such a rush to publicly announce that he is matching? Perhaps to alleviate the fans' concern by not keeping them waiting and wondering. Certainly not so Bergy can now sign Jake Gardiner and/or others on the second day of free agency or throw out another offer sheet.

Might just be more negociation tactics to get better compensation.

Reactions: Runner77

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Or just sign Ferland...
Ferland:
Last year
71172340135860314:061560.56
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Career
321597012931931505-5620.40
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Shaw:
last year
63192847177130315:551350.75
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
career

5041111222333353425014-9420.46
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

to a bigger cap hit than what Shaw was making, further asset & cap management genius :sarcasm:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't think MB made this move with nothing else in the works.

It may be underwhelming in the end after the summer is over. That's to be determined. But I don't think he made this move like "this is all I got!"

Point is next.

Now MB can finagle his OS differently.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Exactly. The owner wants to reassure his season ticket base. He's not going to get a lot of season ticket renewals if this lingers and it would shake whatever confidence their fans have left.

I think he did the right thing. Waiting the 7 days would have hurt him more than it would have impacted the Habs.

But why announce it one hour before matching?

Reactions: Runner77

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Getting a 2nd and a 3rd for Shaw is definitely not only a cap dump.

If he gets a decent replacement (which shouldn’t be difficult) it’s called solid assets management.

Okay...now he has to get us a winger that will put 50 points for 3.9M....not a penny more
Good luck with that.

Oh and those picks will help making the PO next that's for sure....those and Cap Space are what will make this team win...again.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Even as a PR move i Don't see how a low-ball offer-sheet was supposed to show that Bergevin is all in to make the team better. I am tired of a GM who at least tried, i want a GM who succeed.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

Yup, waiting 7 days was the GM’s idea.....the same GM that cost his organization 3yrs of his best player, the #1 centre.

I’m disappointed but not surprised it went down this way.

Dichow Stopper

Former ChuckyToGally
Aug 9, 2004
to a bigger cap hit than what Shaw was making, further asset & cap management genius :sarcasm:

Link for the bigger cap hit?

And even if you are right, would you take Ferland at 4.5M$ per, a 2nd and a 3rd or Shaw at 3.9M$?

Your hate for MB no matter what he does is getting ridiculous.

And before you say that I defend him no matter what, you might want to check my post history...

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
You’re a mod that’s the last thing you should hope for. :laugh:

I still remembering wanting to rip my hair out during the peak Habs/Sens rivalry, I can’t even imagine what a Marner offer sheet would do lol

But it's the best way to inflate my personal stats! :sarcasm: . Yeah I still have some leftover bitterness from that period. A Marner offer sheet would have a long lasting effect.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Jaffy man, there are better examples than that.

Don't forget, Habs got lucky that Caufield dropped. Real happy it happened but let's not lose sight of the fact that the team ended up with the worst lottery pick while missing the playoffs. Luck is no substitute for a well executed plan.

How about we look forward to what else can happen now that this Aho bleep on the radar screen is almost over.

Yes it is. Look at the Rangers. They had a dedicated rebuild, but they lucked into the 2nd OA pick, having guys like Fox and especially Trouba basically force their way to the Rangers and have a guy like Panarin not only be a UFA, but decide he wanted to go UFA and sign with the Rangers for less than he could have gotten elsewhere.

Rangers plan doesn't look so great if they have Cozens/Broberg/Zegras/etc. instead of Kakko, Trouba's fiancee wants to be in LA (or elsewhere) instead of New York for future career growth or Fox doesn't try to force his way to the Rangers.

Part of a good plan is making sure that you can take advantage of opportunities that may arise. That's why Montreal has been sitting on so much cap space. And lets be real, Montreal wasn't going to lock in a top-5/6 guaranteed pick with how bad the worst teams were, even if they sold off all their vets. Look at how bad Ottawa, LA and New Jersey were. Montreal needed bad injury luck to get to that level.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
But why announce it one hour before matching?

He wants to be white knight on a majestic horse that saves the day.

Works better with advance props.

Can milk the moment a little longer before he goes back to his bankruptcy and repaying his latest margin of credit.

I wonder how NERVOUS that Canes fan is who came in here, cause you know, Dundon is apparently a BILLIONAIRE. :laugh:

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Okay...now he has to get us a winger that will put 50 points for 3.9M....not a penny more
Good luck with that.

Oh and those picks will help making the PO next that's for sure....those and Cap Space are what will make this team win...again.
So you were a Shaw fan??

50pt RW at 3.9 is a good deal?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yup, waiting 7 days was the GM’s idea.....the same GM that cost his organization 3yrs of his best player, the #1 centre.

I don't think it's the GM's doing -- he looks to be more of a puppet of the owner. This was a pure owner-motivated approach. Dundon is frugal and drives a hard bargain and did the same with Aho via his GM.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017

In the "business" world, an incompetent GM who didn't ask his boss what he thought first before going public would be summarily dismissed. Waddell must go.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Link for the bigger cap hit?

And even if you are right, would you take Ferland at 4.5M$ per, a 2nd and a 3rd or Shaw at 3.9M$?

Your hate for MB no matter what he does is getting ridiculous.

And before you say that I defend him no matter what, you might want to check my post history...

I'm sorry, did i miss the place where we had Ferland signed at 4.5M$? Cuz from what i can tell, right now we just have an 2nd and a 3rd, for a player we traded 2x2nd's for 3 years ago, was signed for a few more years at under 4M$ and is coming off of a career year where he put up the kind of #'s that would earn him a 6+M$ contract if he were on the open market today.

I don't hate MB, i hate incompetence and i hate watching our team continue to spin it's tires with no discernible vision, plan or direction.

I'm happy for you that the recent PR stunt got your optimism flowing... as they say, ignorance is bliss.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
50 points minus the couple of games he single handedly cost us

you know, the ones that could've pushed us into the playoffs

JSR 56

Dec 18, 2017
Montreal
It wasn’t the AAV, it was the bonus......how many times does this have to be repeated
As much as attitude and character. The yearly salary is the same either way. Sure he loses more cash upfront but will pay less throughout the year. You don't think billionaire businesses have ways to bury overages. Why didn't Bergevin offer more money with the bonuses? Maybe Molson is the cheap one hiding behind Bergevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad