Confirmed with Link: Montreal Canadien Offer Sheet Sebastian Aho (5 Years @ $8.45M) Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Every year people want Bergevin to do something "big." He fell into the offer sheet trap, which very rarely works. It sounds all glamorous and exciting, but in reality you'd probably end up paying more for an offer-sheet player than you would for a UFA... because you have to assume the team your poaching from will match almost ANY offer sheet. Bergevin got blinded by the excitement of offer sheets because he's dumb and childish and falls into those traps. Added to that, he wanted to show the fans that he's not scared of making a "big" signing. It's just that he didn't actually want to make a big signing.

He's probably terrified of making another mistake like Alzner and being a laughing stock for a couple of years.

Bergevin flat out said it...he did this to show the fans they're ''serious'' about improving. People saying this was PR stunt are pretty spot on.
When pressed by journalist to explain why going to the next tier of compensation and offering 10M+ wasn't going to change much...he struggled to answer and became his usual defensive/posturing up self.

Reactions: Miller Time

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
The amount of people in this thread bashing the Aho offer sheet is getting out of hand. What people need to realize is that it isn’t the AAV that’s supposed to be the poison bite for Carolina, it’s the front loaded signing bonuses. 8.5 AAV or 10.5 AAV, Carolina would match, no questions asked, as they had previously stated that they would do. Bergevin knew that so why would he offer a higher AAV? Don’t forget that Aho had to first accept the deal for this to even happen.
The real kicker here is the fact that if matched, Carolina would have to pay out nearly $22 million in the first 12 months of the deal. For a smaller market team that doesn’t bring in the same revenue as a team like Montreal, this could be a tough task. Now doesn’t matter what Don Waddell said that he’s likely matching, it’s not him who’s reaching deep into his own pockets, it’s ownership. And let’s not forget the fact that Tom Dundon recently lost a lot of money from the failed AAF.
All I’m trying to say here is that Bergevin spotted a potential weakness and delivered a calculated move. The move may look bad on the surface to some but when you really look into it, you start to see how savvy it really was.
Plus being forced to wait 7 days puts us out of the running to overpay prime overpay candidates. Let other teams shell out the big bucks for aging UFAs while we sit back and wait. I have no problem with that because even if matched, Bergevin could look to the trade route. It’s hard to imagine Bergevin clearing all that cap just to attempt one move with no plan B in mind. Just be patient people, this was a good move.
Regardless of whether Carolina matches, I’m balls to the wall stoked Bergevin even attempted this move. If it works out, we get a 21 year old elite 1C for pennies, and if not, at least we avoided locking ourselves into another Alzner contract July 1st.

Said this in the other thread and I feel it should be said again.

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010
I expect Canes to match. Only thing that could help us now is if Aho publicly states he no longer wants to play in Carolina.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Whoever replied to my post saying what Bergevin did was "bold." Wow. The Hurricanes are laughing about the offer. Bergevin fell right into a trap, set up by Aho's agent. Wow so bold.

will see how fast the Svechnikov deal gets done eh?lool

2 years until that happens....Bergy might still be GM too..lol

ludwig

Dec 17, 2007
I think it was a great offer sheet and the Habs actually have some leverage. It's a no brainer for Carolina to match, i don't dispute that for one second. But let's say the Hurricanes match the offer, and they pay him his 22 MM....and then 364 days from now, he requests a trade and refuses to play for them. That is the scenario where we can actually have a chance to get him. Likeliest scenario is that we make a trade with them before the end of the week.

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
Whoever replied to my post saying what Bergevin did was "bold." Wow. The Hurricanes are laughing about the offer. Bergevin fell right into a trap, set up by Aho's agent. Wow so bold.

The only person being laughed at, is you. You don't back your point of viees up with anything factual and i also doubt you even grasp the totality of what the offer sheet entails for the Canes and their ownership.

This isn't a video game. The financial aspects matter much more than you think and more than the game itself in this day and age.

You must be relying solely on a couple TSN panelists first hot takes on the offer to form your opinion. I hate to break it to you, but not even they fully grasp the business side of it.

Sports is sports, business is business. Both need to work out for a deal, not just the sports side that says Aho is worth his 8.5m a year and Canes would be crazy to give up their young 1C.

I can name you 22m reasons why its not as easy as you think to match.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
If there are other gm's upset with this offer sheet, would remind them of some of the silly contracts that have been handed out recently that will end up costing teams more on some contracts. Even Waddell acknowledged this contract made sense.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
I wonder what the chances would be like should Bergevin have offered 10.5m instead of 8.4m per season - with max front load (26.3m in 12 months)?

I think his chances would have been SIGNIFICANTLY greater. Like 70% chance.

Reactions: Miller Time

ForeverHabs97

May 11, 2013
Canada
Bergevin flat out said it...he did this to show the fans they're ''serious'' about improving. People saying this was PR stunt are pretty spot on.
When pressed by journalist to explain why going to the next tier of compensation and offering 10M+ wasn't going to change much...he struggled to answer and became his usual defensive/posturing up self.
How about this;
Its an amazing PR stunt because everyone including non Habs fans are thinking about the Habs AND it's an amazing offer for the Habs cap structure that Canes will really think twice about committing so much money to one player for 5 years and a potential lockout with bonus money still owed. Habs would swallow Aho's 42M$ over 5 years no problem, having a real shot at growing revenue/profits with Aho.

Why would he let himself get played by a player agent who reps Carey Price/Gallagher (correct me if I'm wrong) or use this situation to make him look good. Maybe it is but if hed do it, hed make damn sure he can win the offer. Hence why he went after Aho and not Marner and go into a full out bidding war with the wealthiest NHL franchise.

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015

Yet they haven't matched, or even indicated they would.

When there was fear Weber would be get an offer sheet, Poile let everyone know he would match and did that a few days after.

Maybe I'm wrong, but Waddell has only said they have to think it over, the owner -- crickets, and other than their witty Twitter account there is absolutely nothing coming from the other side. Waiting doesn't hold us up, we weren't really in on the "big" UFA's anyway, and we can still sign Gardner regardless of what's going on with Aho. We literally had nothing to lose with this offer sheet.

There's a reason Carolina isn't saying squat. This Canes / Aho use Bergevin as a big pawn in their negotiations theme is almost laughable, and this is coming from a certified Bergevin detractor.

I think they are trying to salvage a side deal, but the leverage is all in Bergy's hands now and there's a time limit and 21 million reasons Waddell has to think about.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
21 million upfront is a PR stunt?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I expect Canes to match. Only thing that could help us now is if Aho publicly states he no longer wants to play in Carolina.

Yeah, but I think all he cares about is that he's got his contract no matter where that takes him.

It might leave some residual feelings that won't go away for the canes, but if there is going to be a breaking point, I suspect it comes later on in the term rather than this 7 day period.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
They are laughing all the way to the bank!

To get that 21 million.

What does it cost us if they match? What does it cost them?

That's why we did it.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
The only person being laughed at, is you. You don't back your point of viees up with anything factual and i also doubt you even grasp the totality of what the offer sheet entails for the Canes and their ownership.

This isn't a video game. The financial aspects matter much more than you think and more than the game itself in this day and age.

You must be relying solely on a couple TSN panelists first hot takes on the offer to form your opinion. I hate to break it to you, but not even they fully grasp the business side of it.

Sports is sports, business is business. Both need to work out for a deal, not just the sports side that says Aho is worth his 8.5m a year and Canes would be crazy to give up their young 1C.

I can name you 22m reasons why its not as easy as you think to match.

aren't most media pundits repeating the same thing you are?

as others have pointed out, the potential risks from fan/gate impact of walking away from Aho could and likely would hurt the Canes financially more than the bonus money... also, any saavy business can turn operating losses into significant asset, especially in the U.S.

and, quite simply, if what you say is correct, making it 23M up front and getting better pick value in return would have made it much easier and more likely that we get him... hence why it was a laughably poor execution.

ForeverHabs97

May 11, 2013
Canada
How many times do I have to say it on this board. I've been spamming all night. Chances Canes take this deal has nothing to do with the salary cap/AAV. This has everything to with how its structured and in bonuses. Canes are either really confident they can match

Or they did what you just did, looked at the contract at face value for the AAV, laughed on twitter/press conference about the easy contract signing without considering all of the details and how this will affect the Canes as an organization + the Dundon effect.

Reactions: Vachon23

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
So habs are hoping Carolina matches is what you’re saying??

Oh man you’re reaching......like this is epic reaching :laugh:

Talk about twisting words to beat the drum of your agenda :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad