Confirmed with Link: Montreal Canadien Offer Sheet Sebastian Aho (5 Years @ $8.45M) Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
I don't understand the rush to trade Shaw before the UFA market opening day.... Get draft picks ?
Perhaps, Bergy still thinks GM Stan Bowman is his mentor and when Bowman phoned him about getting Shaw back, Bergy was all ears and anything Bowman offered, Bergy's head was bobbing up and down in agreement.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
How many times does this have to be repeated it's wasn't about the bonus it was about the compensation or the trade offer. The only way Canes would not have match if they were ok with the compensations or trade offer. A billonnaire not able to sign a bonus with Pocket money should not be an owner of a professionnal team. It was a pointless and insulting offer by a clown GM in Bergevin.

And how many times does it need to be repeated that they can work out a trade to offer better compensation?

That extra pick is meaningless

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
You were the one talking about the bigger cap hit and I was asking where you got the information?

I did use an example (4.5M$ per) and you are asking me where the number comes from, without answering my question.

FYI, I would also be frustrated if we start the season with the team we have right now.

We are July 2nd, only time will tell...

Seems like we both assume that Ferland will sign for more than 4M$... not sure where the confusion on that lies, UFA's get paid.

Time will tell indeed. With 7 years of past experience, it's a pretty large sample size, especially as far as sports GM's go, to forecast from... I don't think it's "hate" to point out both the failed attempts and poor decision-making on display. I'd love to have some positive to credit MB with, it's just not there. After making a few solid moves last summer, he largely reverted right back to the same mo all this past season (we actually moved back in the draft, lost young prospects/players in favour of older vets of little use, and yet again failed to add a 1st round pick while drafting late in another non-playoff season).... and so far this summer all we've done is sold low on Shaw (for less than the cost of acquisition despite a significant career year), re-signed 4 depth players (none of which are locks to play 50+ games), and signed a back-up goalie.

Is calling that out for being par for the course really hate?

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I Don't care about the Canes, i only care about Aho and i feel that Bergevin has messed up a perfect Opportunity to add a 1st line center via trade by being cheap and putting to much value on draft picks and not enough value on adding a top end talent to the team while Price and Weber can still be top players.

Aho, Domi, Kotkaniemi, Gallagher, Tatar, Drouin, Danault, Poehling is a fine forward group with Suzuki, Caufield and Ylonen near NHL ready as forward and Juulsen, Fleury and Romanov as d-men in the next 2-3 years.

Who needs draft picks when you have a 3-5 years window to win with Price and Weber and so many prospects near to be nhl-ready ?

I care about Aho primarily but as a worst case scenario we stick it to the Canes? Fine by me.

Should've probably given more. Don't know if that would've gotten it done either. The big thing was the front loading.

This Price/Weber Cup window means little to me. I don't think it exists honestly.

Jul 6, 2016
I care about Aho primarily but as a worst case scenario we stick it to the Canes? Fine by me.

Should've probably given more. Don't know if that would've gotten it done either. The big thing was the front loading.

This Price/Weber Cup window means little to me. I don't think it exists honestly.

I don't believe in windows, either. Were St-Louis supposed to win the last Stanley Cup, or Vegas, to go to the Finals the year before ?

DanT

Jan 17, 2009
Montreal
Would be funny to offer sheet Laine and Connor, at the same time.

(And it might be the secret behind using the signing bonus bomb against weaker teams).
One of the key phrases in the press release is

"Hurricanes, today announced the team's intention to match the Montreal Canadiens' offer sheet to forward Sebastian Aho within the timeframe allowed by the League's Collective Bargaining Agreement"

So they can annonce it today but may not send the paperwork before the last minute allowed. So technically Habs draft choice is still lock in the OS until all the paperwork is finalized. So they are not available to make an new offer sheet right now.

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
Main Video headline on TSN

Button: Habs' offer sheet to Aho was 'laughable'
Let the summer of laughing @ the Habs begin and the Toronto Sports Network will lead the way lol

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
I don't believe in windows, either. Were St-Louis supposed to win the last Stanley Cup, or Vegas, to go to the Finals the year before ?
Now that Goalie Bob is earning $10M per season, we won't think Price is overpaid at $10.5M per.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
And how many times does it need to be repeated that they can work out a trade to offer better compensation?

That extra pick is meaningless

Well it seems Aho ain't cominng to Montreal. If you really want Aho the logic is to try to get a trade made before the offer sheet. If no trade can be made, you made the offer sheet as high as you can and that you are willing to pay the compensation if not matched.

Bergevin set the bars low and the offer sheet was matched.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
The seven day maximum period to match is the crazier thing.

I hope this is addressed in the next CBA.

1) Open RFA to free agency (offer sheets) right after the draft (1 week priors to UFAs)
2) 48 Hours to answer.
3) Open the possibility for a trade during the 48 hours between the 2 teams.
4) Open the possibility for a trade after a offer-sheet match just between the 2 teams for 1 year.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017

"Hurricanes, today announced the team's intention to match the Montreal Canadiens' offer sheet to forward Sebastian Aho within the timeframe allowed by the League's Collective Bargaining Agreement"

So they can annonce it today but may not send the paperwork before the last minute allowed. So technically Habs draft choice is still lock in the OS until all the paperwork is finalized. So they are not available to make an new offer sheet right now.
Wagon delivery is outdated.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

I know.

But if I'm an agent right now, representing any RFAs, I'm telling them to wait for "the possibility that Montreal strikes again".

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Bergevin tried something - LOLZ PR move, Joke, Clown, BS, Never wanted to sign him anyways.

Bergevin doesn't try - Clown, GTFO, Loser, BS, Joke of an organization.

Ask people what we should do: SOMETHING!
Me: Like what? What should have he done differently?
People: 10.5Mil! He's a joke, sell everything, sign everyone, SOMETHING!

Reactions: Runner77

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
I know.

But if I'm an agent right now, representing any RFAs, I'm telling them to wait for "the possibility that Montreal strikes again".
That's fine and dandy. Do you know if there's a deadline for GMs to offer offer-sheets?

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012

Then the team should probably trade them and build around Domi and Kotkaniemi if we still are going to waste theirs last effectives years.

You need to put your team in a position to win. St-Louis traded for O'Reilly and Schenn.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I hope this is addressed in the next CBA.

1) Open RFA to free agency (offer sheets) right after the draft (1 week priors to UFAs)
2) 48 Hours to answer.
3) Open the possibility for a trade during the 48 hours between the 2 teams.
4) Open the possibility for a trade after a offer-sheet match just between the 2 teams for 1 year.

It's set up that way so that the team with the RFA has time to clear cap space if needed to match the offer.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad