Confirmed with Link: Montreal Canadien Offer Sheet Sebastian Aho (5 Years @ $8.45M) Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Which is why Montreal has a stable full of prospects, 12 picks in the next draft, plenty of cap space (and a willingness to use it) and only 6 major contracts on the books two years from now ATM.

Hell, the Rangers have 8 mil in cap space left and need to sign Trouba, Buchnevich and Deangelo. Montreal may be able to get something pretty good if they help them out of that mess.

Habs will have a difficult time catching up with the Rags who are a destination team. Would Fox have signed with the Habs if they had acquired him? Trouba wanted to play in NY. Plus landing Kappo Kakko. The last premium UFA who wanted to play here was told to buy a dog -- how many UFAs have the Habs signed over the years?

Plus, Gorton is ruthless and a shark. The Rags have everything going for them. Habs will have to work that much harder just to stay in the game.

Jul 6, 2016
He presented a contract that a player accepted.....

Aho was already 99,9% sure Canes would equal that offer. He got his five year contract, 22 M$ within a year in his bank account.....

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He presented a contract that a player accepted.....

To be fair, the player accepted to get paid $21M upfront while limiting the contract to 5 years, something his agent was never going to get for him from Dundon.

I wouldn't read too much into the "Aho wanted to come here" theory.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Well it seems Aho ain't cominng to Montreal. If you really want Aho the logic is to try to get a trade made before the offer sheet. If no trade can be made, you made the offer sheet as high as you can and that you are willing to pay the compensation if not matched.

Bergevin set the bars low and the offer sheet was matched.

You can still ADD to the compensation and it also gives more leeway since maybe the other team would rather get prospects than picks.

The additional 1st is inconsequential. The only way Carolina would not match, even with an extra 1st, is if they received further compensation through a side trade.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I really doubt that Carolina brass is cheering for a joy after offersheet. Smells like propaganda from Canes beatwriter...
They made 27M at the gate last year and now need to pay a guy 21M. Doesn't sound too profitable to me. Certainly nothing to cheer about.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
To be fair, the player accepted to get paid $21M upfront while limiting the contract to 5 years, something his agent was never going to get for him from Dundon.

Yeah, that's why we offered it. Turns out at least sometimes he would get it from Dundon. Oh well.

Dichow Stopper

Former ChuckyToGally
Aug 9, 2004
Seems like we both assume that Ferland will sign for more than 4M$... not sure where the confusion on that lies, UFA's get paid.

Time will tell indeed. With 7 years of past experience, it's a pretty large sample size, especially as far as sports GM's go, to forecast from... I don't think it's "hate" to point out both the failed attempts and poor decision-making on display. I'd love to have some positive to credit MB with, it's just not there. After making a few solid moves last summer, he largely reverted right back to the same mo all this past season (we actually moved back in the draft, lost young prospects/players in favour of older vets of little use, and yet again failed to add a 1st round pick while drafting late in another non-playoff season).... and so far this summer all we've done is sold low on Shaw (for less than the cost of acquisition despite a significant career year), re-signed 4 depth players (none of which are locks to play 50+ games), and signed a back-up goalie.

Is calling that out for being par for the course really hate?

Thanks for the clarification. I understand your frustration on the overall MB tenure and I likely didn’t have the good interpretation of the comments you had.

Back to my original question : Assuming we could get Ferland at 4.5M$ per (speculation) would you prefer to have him and the 2nd and 3rd or Shaw at 3.9M$ per?

Reactions: jaffy27

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

Sure, it was a win win, but no way a player signs a contract with a team which he intends to never play for.

I’m sure seeing all the Finns here and knowing the Finn prospects doesn’t hurt

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Bergevin tried something - LOLZ PR move, Joke, Clown, BS, Never wanted to sign him anyways.

Bergevin doesn't try - Clown, GTFO, Loser, BS, Joke of an organization.

Ask people what we should do: SOMETHING!
Me: Like what? What should have he done differently?
People: 10.5Mil! He's a joke, sell everything, sign everyone, SOMETHING!

The job of GM is to build a great team. Do whatever you want, but do it. The job of a GM is not to see his team miss the playoffs 3 out of 4 years with 6 playoffs games in the last said 4 years. Yeah, he tried something. Something that THE HOCKEY WORLD, not only some Habs fans, but the hockey world said that it was easily matchable. So what he needs to do is try something that works. He tried Galchy for Domi, and while even himself was actually acquiring a winger, it worked. That try worked. Good job. We still aren't a playoff team...but good job on that one. He traded Patch. He acquired a Tatar who everybody was certain would not do what he did last year...but he did. He tried....and if Suzuki works out, it will work out. Good job. But all this STILL need to translate into becoming a great team. A contending team. And after 8 years...it has to translate into this.

So do something. Anything. But with end results attached to it. Too hard to do? Quit.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Sure, it was a win win, but no way a player signs a contract with a team which he intends to never play for.

I’m sure seeing all the Finns here and knowing the Finn prospects doesn’t hurt

And what if what he wanted to have was a contract more than a team? What if he knew Canes would sign him and what it eventually does for him was to get a lot of money before a supposed lockout and going to free agency and choose his destination? NObody thinks he would have hated to come here....but do you think he would not have signed the same contract if Vegas would have offered it? Or Rangers? Or whatever?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
The job of GM is to build a great team. Do whatever you want, but do it. The job of a GM is not to see his team miss the playoffs 3 out of 4 years with 6 playoffs games in the last said 4 years. Yeah, he tried something. Something that THE HOCKEY WORLD, not only some Habs fans, but the hockey world said that it was easily matchable. So what he needs to do is try something that works. He tried Galchy for Domi, and while even himself was actually acquiring a winger, it worked. That try worked. Good job. We still aren't a playoff team...but good job on that one. He traded Patch. He acquired a Tatar who everybody was certain would not do what he did last year...but he did. He tried....and if Suzuki works out, it will work out. Good job. But all this STILL need to translate into becoming a great team. A contending team. And after 8 years...it has to translate into this.

So do something. Anything. But with end results attached to it. Too hard to do? Quit.

Oh look, another Whitesnake post without an alternative listed. Isn't that interesting.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
One of the key phrases in the press release is

"Hurricanes, today announced the team's intention to match the Montreal Canadiens' offer sheet to forward Sebastian Aho within the timeframe allowed by the League's Collective Bargaining Agreement"

So they can annonce it today but may not send the paperwork before the last minute allowed. So technically Habs draft choice is still lock in the OS until all the paperwork is finalized. So they are not available to make an new offer sheet right now.

Funny they say that just after the owner said they'd match "whithin the hour"

Pretty sure it's more negociation tactic. Or else it would get matched any time now.

Reactions: Edgy

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Thanks for the clarification. I understand your frustration on the overall MB tenure and I likely didn’t have the good interpretation of the comments you had.

Back to my original question : Assuming we could get Ferland at 4.5M$ per (speculation) would you prefer to have him and the 2nd and 3rd or Shaw at 3.9M$ per?

i'd prefer Ferland (assuming 3-5yrs term tops, at 6 or 7 years it would alter the balance) + picks over Shaw.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
And what if what he wanted to have was a contract more than a team? What if he knew Canes would sign him and what it eventually does for him was to get a lot of money before a supposed lockout and going to free agency and choose his destination? NObody thinks he would have hated to come here....but do you think he would not have signed the same contract if Vegas would have offered it? Or Rangers? Or whatever?
If he signed a contract with a team, it probably means he would want to go there.

But they didn’t, Montreal did.

Anyways, it don’t matter anymore......need to go to plan C

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Habs will have a difficult time catching up with the Rags who are a destination team. Would Fox have signed with the Habs if they had acquired him? Trouba wanted to play in NY. Plus landing Kappo Kakko. The last premium UFA who wanted to play here was told to buy a dog -- how many UFAs have the Habs signed over the years?

Plus, Gorton is ruthless and a shark. The Rags have everything going for them. Habs will have to work that much harder just to stay in the game.

Who knows what happens in the future? Lets not pretend that Montreal has always been a destination also-ran. They earned that reputation. Look at Toronto. They were a destination laughing stock for decades. Now they can get guys like Tavares. Build up the team and it will become a more appealing destination.

And Trouba didn't care about being in NY as much as his fiancee did, which was the bigger deal to him. He just wanted a bigger, American market.

You can't just say luck favours the prepared and then argue that it doesn't apply to Montreal.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Ok now use that cap space though. Free agency is almost done, but trades are all year long. Another Armia trade kind of deal but for a LD.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Bergevin did everything that was under his control....

He has plenty of assets to deal and a big hole at LD. I'm almost at a point where I'm wishing we can get Gardiner for a reasonnable AAV. We just cant continue on with this much cap space.

Reactions: jaffy27
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad