Confirmed with Link: Montreal Canadien Offer Sheet Sebastian Aho (5 Years @ $8.45M) Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchmagic

Apr 25, 2006
Montreal, Qc
www.typeonefilms.com
uuuuum come again ? the hurricanes are laughing about an offer that they REFUSED to give Aho straight up ( 5 year deal max) and which forces their team to increase the budget for player incentives 100X and those incentives are due whether there is a work stoppage or not ?

if they are laughing, is it the nervous " we are screwed" kind of laugh ?

Montreal's offer sheet allowed Aho to get what he could not in negotiating with the canes. We didn't lose anything, so where did aho's windfall come from ?

from the carolina hurricanes whose hand we forced and who wont be getting an extra three years of aho's UFA status and have to face the very real possibility that they will not be able to afford him when he becomes a UFA at age 26/27.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
So habs are hoping Carolina matches is what you’re saying??

Oh man you’re reaching......like this is epic reaching :laugh:

Talk about twisting words to beat the drum of your agenda :laugh:

Does it really matter if the Canes match or not? I look at this as sending a message.

Habs can't get a sniff at the best UFAs for decades (save for Radulov). Habs can't do anything to outbid anyone, we're losing to weather and other factors that aren't even hockey related. The system needs to change.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I agree that the extra money doesn't change anything for them at this point, but if they had any doubt in their intention to match, having an extra first rounder in exchange might have helped..
why can't we add that first rounder now ?

pssst we can!

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Any updates??

giphy.gif

Dichow Stopper

Former ChuckyToGally
Aug 9, 2004
Aho's agent, Gerry Johannson, said his client is open to moving north.

"I think that Sebastian 100 percent wants to play in Montreal," Johannson told Marc Antoine Godin of The Athletic. "He wouldn't have signed an offer sheet if he didn't want to play in Montreal.
"
While the cap hit is certainly reasonable for a player of Aho's caliber, the kicker on the deal is the signing bonuses; Montreal flexed its financial muscle by offering Aho more than $21 million over the first 12 months of the contract.

Hurricanes general manager Don Waddell said he was surprised the value of the offer sheet wasn't higher and his club seems intent on matching. But Johansson believes forking over that much money so early in the deal isn't a simple process for a small-market team like Carolina.
"I don't think it's easy for Carolina," Johansson said. "I can tell you for sure, it's not easy for Carolina. Anybody who says this is easy is wrong. You can armchair quarterback any decision, but I can promise you this is an aggressive move ... It's a lot of money, and it's a lot of front-loaded money."

Nice quote, hope some posters will read it and get some much needed sleep.

Reactions: ForeverHabs97

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
how come there's not enough people that hate the Canes on this board to not absolutely love this??? what kind of hab fans are you? lol. i hate them as much as the laffs and the sens and the penguins. for a LONG time.

even if this is 110% pr (i doubt it but fine) the canes are getting it STUCK to them. this is so good.

I do. When they took Marleau's contract to helped the Leafs I told them to get f***ed and wish Bergevin OS Aho which he did. I'm happy, f*** those jerks.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
how come there's not enough people that hate the Canes on this board to not absolutely love this??? what kind of hab fans are you? lol. i hate them as much as the laffs and the sens and the penguins. for a LONG time.

even if this is 110% pr (i doubt it but fine) the canes are getting it STUCK to them. this is so good.
Some hate Bergevin more than they hate Carolina

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
I will reword what I tried to say quite few times.
The offer was set so it's tougher to match but without an enticing alternative.

They either bet everything on Dundon's personality or they are negociating a side deal.

No way, money issues will stop the Canes to match the offer with such a crappy compensation.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012

I Don't care about the Canes, i only care about Aho and i feel that Bergevin has messed up a perfect Opportunity to add a 1st line center via trade by being cheap and putting to much value on draft picks and not enough value on adding a top end talent to the team while Price and Weber can still be top players.

Aho, Domi, Kotkaniemi, Gallagher, Tatar, Drouin, Danault, Poehling is a fine forward group with Suzuki, Caufield and Ylonen near NHL ready as forward and Juulsen, Fleury and Romanov as d-men in the next 2-3 years.

Who needs draft picks when you have a 3-5 years window to win with Price and Weber and so many prospects near to be nhl-ready ?

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

and yet it remains unsigned.

if they were ok with a 5 year deal for Aho, why they hell didnt they give it to him to prevent him from getting an offer sheet ? Their starting point was 8 years, the aav might have moved but the term didnt.
and now they get 5 ( with the addition of a 21 million dollar ballon payment).

The canes had the opportunituy to avoid ALL of this. to suggest that this is a good scenario for them, is laughable. they were foreced into a term they originally rejected AND they need to come up with an additional 21 million bones.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa

Again, for all we know they only saw the AAV at surface value and laughed before realizing the bonus money and structure of the deal.

No one really knows. I fully expect Carolina to match because of the affordable AAV, but it’s not such a simple deal. That’s a contract structure by a rich, big market team, not for a small market one.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
End this already....so we could go back at forming our lines without Aho....and hoping that Poehling will come in and save us. Much more sane......

Reactions: Justin11

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Can't quote previous thread...

But people tying Dundon to the Canes' history of poor spending isn't looking at things objectively.

Here are some facts:

- His net worth is around 1.1 billion, he has his hands in many profitable ventures such as TopGolf centers.
- He's owned (61%) the team for 16 months
- He let go of some personnel he thought were unnecessary costs
- He's only made one major signing (TT)
- He invested in AAF which failed and cost him 250m
- He is suing for 70m in compensation for the failed league
- He bought a 1st rd pick for 4.5m

Aho brings value to him on and off the ice, I don't see how he doesn't match here. You don't buy a team then cheap out on your franchise player. Look at Nashville or Colorado for reference.

Again, hes the majority owner, not the full owner. His cost is closer to 13m.

Some wrong in this.

First, he bought a 1st round for 800k and 6.25 of Cap space...not 4.5M.

Second he only lost 70 millions in the AFF cause he refused to give the rest (that's why he's suing then for 70M....plus don't forget that he's being sued himself for a lot of money)

Third, he was also the owner when Pesce, Slavin signed their extensions

Why Waddell is their GM AND President....cost less, didn't wanted to hire a new GM at their prices.
Same goes with placing assistant coach Brindamour in the head roles, cost less.

But they will match regardless

Reactions: Vachon23

badi

Jan 21, 2008
Again, for all we know they only saw the AAV at surface value and laughed before realizing the bonus money and structure of the deal.

No one really knows. I fully expect Carolina to match because of the affordable AAV, but it’s not such a simple deal. That’s a contract structure by a rich, big market team, not for a small market one.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
lol It's not a war between Canes and Habs fans abou which team and city he loves the most??? Who cares...what' simportant is where he'll be playing. I don't give a shit if Aho plays with a smile or not on his face....

Reactions: habergeon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad