Confirmed with Link: Montreal Canadien Offer Sheet Sebastian Aho (5 Years @ $8.45M) Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Whoever replied to my post saying what Bergevin did was "bold." Wow. The Hurricanes are laughing about the offer. Bergevin fell right into a trap, set up by Aho's agent. Wow so bold.

yeah there's no trap. we lose nothing. canes get screwed. win win. sure the agent could've concocted all this but we lose nothing if aho doesn't sign. the canes either lose aho or pony up WAY more dough than they want to. again, win win.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I don’t know what is so hard to understand that the 8,5m or 10,5m of caphit doesn’t change ANYTHING for Carolina ? Habs management, ( with plenty of an accountants and Lawyers) took alote of time to think about how to make the best offer that Canes will not match ! I’m sure they know ALOTE more what they are doing then us ..

Reactions: Edgy

Darz

Sep 22, 2002
Where's the ANY key?
Visit site
Aho's agent, Gerry Johannson, said his client is open to moving north.

"I think that Sebastian 100 percent wants to play in Montreal," Johannson told Marc Antoine Godin of The Athletic. "He wouldn't have signed an offer sheet if he didn't want to play in Montreal.
"
While the cap hit is certainly reasonable for a player of Aho's caliber, the kicker on the deal is the signing bonuses; Montreal flexed its financial muscle by offering Aho more than $21 million over the first 12 months of the contract.

Hurricanes general manager Don Waddell said he was surprised the value of the offer sheet wasn't higher and his club seems intent on matching. But Johansson believes forking over that much money so early in the deal isn't a simple process for a small-market team like Carolina.
"I don't think it's easy for Carolina," Johansson said. "I can tell you for sure, it's not easy for Carolina. Anybody who says this is easy is wrong. You can armchair quarterback any decision, but I can promise you this is an aggressive move ... It's a lot of money, and it's a lot of front-loaded money."

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
So habs are hoping Carolina matches is what you’re saying??

Oh man you’re reaching......like this is epic reaching :laugh:

Talk about twisting words to beat the drum of your agenda :laugh:

how do you draw that conclusion from what he wrote? He saying it's a PR stunt, didn't allude in any way to the notion that MB is hoping Canes won't match.

talk about twisting words to your own agenda.... or maybe the mosquitoes got to you and it's a bit of dengue fever setting in :sarcasm: ;)

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I wonder what the chances would be like should Bergevin have offered 10.5m instead of 8.4m per season - with max front load (26.3m in 12 months)?

I think his chances would have been SIGNIFICANTLY greater. Like 70% chance.

I personally think that if the canes are willing to pay 21 mil upfront, then why the heck would they not pay another 5 million? The difference is too marginal for that to be a breaking point.

ForeverHabs97

May 11, 2013
Canada
aren't most media pundits repeating the same thing you are?

as others have pointed out, the potential risks from fan/gate impact of walking away from Aho could and likely would hurt the Canes financially more than the bonus money... also, any saavy business can turn operating losses into significant asset, especially in the U.S.

and, quite simply, if what you say is correct, making it 23M up front and getting better pick value in return would have made it much easier and more likely that we get him... hence why it was a laughably poor execution.
Yeah but what's an extra 2M$ on the AAV and 2M$ more signing bonus allowance / single extra 1st rounder gonna make this any easier for the canes to choose? Either way they'd end up losing their franchise centerman for way lower than his hockey value. I don't think it wouldve made it much easier at all, it wouldve made no difference in the canes perspective, but every bit of a difference if the habs were to sign him. Which is why we stayed at 8.5 AAV bracket

Reactions: Vachon23

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
I think it was a great offer sheet and the Habs actually have some leverage. It's a no brainer for Carolina to match, i don't dispute that for one second. But let's say the Hurricanes match the offer, and they pay him his 22 MM....and then 364 days from now, he requests a trade and refuses to play for them. That is the scenario where we can actually have a chance to get him. Likeliest scenario is that we make a trade with them before the end of the week.

I think so too. I expect we will be sitting here in a few days listening to people bitch about the superstars in waiting that we gave up.

Reactions: habsfan891

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Can't quote previous thread...

But people tying Dundon to the Canes' history of poor spending isn't looking at things objectively.

Here are some facts:

- His net worth is around 1.1 billion, he has his hands in many profitable ventures such as TopGolf centers.
- He's owned (61%) the team for 16 months
- He let go of some personnel he thought were unnecessary costs
- He's only made one major signing (TT)
- He invested in AAF which failed and cost him 250m
- He is suing for 70m in compensation for the failed league
- He bought a 1st rd pick for 4.5m

Aho brings value to him on and off the ice, I don't see how he doesn't match here. You don't buy a team then cheap out on your franchise player. Look at Nashville or Colorado for reference.

Again, hes the majority owner, not the full owner. His cost is closer to 13m.

Last edited:

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
21 million they know they won't have to pay.
Someone will in any case : ) We are an economic powerhouse in a profit sharing league that is littered with teams and owners whose very existence relies on our profits. Looks like the gravy train is coming to an end. Loving it!

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
For a team trying to build the market and sell season tickets this off season, if Carolina's strategy is to wait to "hurt us", how does that affect them in their market? If it was a no brainer, they come out and say that night "We are going to match, no question".

Weren't they shopping Aho ahead of July 1st? Or at least listening?

I think they were, because they didn't like the money or term he was seeking, and he got that....and a 21 million bonus.

I don't think they match.

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
Worst case scenario we screw a direct rival in the race for playoff spot.

And 5 years from now they'll either have to dish out some massive amount of $$ or lose a 26 year old 1C for nothing.

They'll probably match. Let's f*** Tampa's shit up next.

Reactions: CapSpace

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
I don’t know what is so hard to understand that the 8,5m or 10,5m of caphit doesn’t change ANYTHING for Carolina ? Habs management, ( with plenty of an accountants and Lawyers) took alote of time to think about how to make the best offer that Canes will not match ! I’m sure they know ALOTE more what they are doing then us ..
I agree that the extra money doesn't change anything for them at this point, but if they had any doubt in their intention to match, having an extra first rounder in exchange might have helped..

Reactions: ForeverHabs97

ForeverHabs97

May 11, 2013
Canada
how come there's not enough people that hate the Canes on this board to not absolutely love this??? what kind of hab fans are you? lol. i hate them as much as the laffs and the sens and the penguins. for a LONG time.

even if this is 110% pr (i doubt it but fine) the canes are getting it STUCK to them. this is so good.
Win win for us
Lose lose for them (they didn't get any say in Aho's signed contract structure, you can say all you want but I guarantee you the Canes would've prefered to negotiate to their OWN terms)

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
yeah there's no trap. we lose nothing. canes get screwed. win win. sure the agent could've concocted all this but we lose nothing if aho doesn't sign. the canes either lose aho or pony up WAY more dough than they want to. again, win win.

Had to repeat that same story 5 times at work his am. Why is everyone freaking out without doing their research is beyond me. Talk about a sensitive bunch.

Pacciosoftie

Curved Dach
Oct 26, 2017
If Carolina is serious about matching easily why haven’t they done it? Why play games and wait and piss off your superstar player even more? I highly doubt it’s to mess up MBs plans or wtv they say, which creates even more doubt. It’s all nice and dandy to say you can easily match it, prove it to your star player who you’ve been playing hardball with and to your fans.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Whoever replied to my post saying what Bergevin did was "bold." Wow. The Hurricanes are laughing about the offer. Bergevin fell right into a trap, set up by Aho's agent. Wow so bold.

uuuuum come again ? the hurricanes are laughing about an offer that they REFUSED to give Aho straight up ( 5 year deal max) and which forces their team to increase the budget for player incentives 100X and those incentives are due whether there is a work stoppage or not ?

if they are laughing, is it the nervous " we are screwed" kind of laugh ?

Montreal's offer sheet allowed Aho to get what he could not in negotiating with the canes. We didn't lose anything, so where did aho's windfall come from ?

from the carolina hurricanes whose hand we forced and who wont be getting an extra three years of aho's UFA status and have to face the very real possibility that they will not be able to afford him when he becomes a UFA at age 26/27.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Fell in what trap ? If It dosent work we are losing ABSOLUTELY nothing

Bingo.

The only trap is the one Carolina is in. Aho will be contractually free after five years, and the Canes didn't want that timing; Aho free at his peak.

But, they celebrate everything down there, which is great, but a leetle bit strange.

Reactions: butch_sb

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
aren't most media pundits repeating the same thing you are?

as others have pointed out, the potential risks from fan/gate impact of walking away from Aho could and likely would hurt the Canes financially more than the bonus money... also, any saavy business can turn operating losses into significant asset, especially in the U.S.

and, quite simply, if what you say is correct, making it 23M up front and getting better pick value in return would have made it much easier and more likely that we get him... hence why it was a laughably poor execution.

If you could turn a 22m (loss) in 12 months into an asset in the same time frame, there would be plenty of opportunity for you in the financial world. Its not as easy as you are making it seem.

Also, if a team/business person can leverage a $22m payout, i'd bet my accounting license that that same person would be able to pony up the extra 1m-1.5m.

It wouldn't change a damn thing. In the odd turn of events that they dont match, why give them the extra 1st round pick.

Like i've said, it was well thought out. Stating the opposite is being shortsighted.

Reactions: Edgy

ForeverHabs97

May 11, 2013
Canada
I agree that the extra money doesn't change anything for them at this point, but if they had any doubt in their intention to match, having an extra first rounder in exchange might have helped..
Yes it wouldve, but it would in turn expose us more and tie our hands against the cap. Why pay more if you don't have to

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
how come there's not enough people that hate the Canes on this board to not absolutely love this??? what kind of hab fans are you? lol. i hate them as much as the laffs and the sens and the penguins. for a LONG time.

even if this is 110% pr (i doubt it but fine) the canes are getting it STUCK to them. this is so good.

Because people hate MB so much they'd rather shit on him for everything. At the very least he tried to make our team better yesterday.

Reactions: ForeverHabs97

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

Honestly not really.. it’s a money thing not a value thing.. even with an other 1st, you don’t have the fair value for Aho. That move for Carolina have absolutely nothing to do with hockey

Kingbobert

Jul 15, 2005
Montreal
im curious, the people that think this is stupid, what should have MB done?

Overpay for Lee/Duchene?
Do absolutely nothing?
Trade?

He had to try something. He made an offer that if canes dont match he is comfortable with. You cant just expect him to overpay Aho so that canes dont match AND lose more draft picks.

I dont think this OS will work but i think it's far better to try something then do nothing or over paying for lee or duchene.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Actually, Bergevin endeared himself to the agent's other clients who are either Hab players or potential targets. Nothing lost.

Yep and he help his negotiations for his next contrat. By exemple Domi next year, he will have the exemple of Aho at 8.5 and that’s really good for him

Reactions: Runner77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad