Proposal: Montreal and their Centre woes

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
While the team has the cap space, it doesn't have the assets to acquire a true #1 center without gutting another position. Someone like Tavares would cost an asset like Weber (who the Habs cannot afford to give up), Sakic has overpriced Duchene, and I doubt Edmonton will deal RNH before next offseason. And I'm not sure I would classify Duchene or RNH as #1 centers anyway.

At least Galchenyuk has had some success at the position.

Duchene is a no.1 center, RNH is no.2. Galchenyuk as alot of issues to overcome in order to become a true no.1.

But here, something new to chew on :

https://recrutes.ca/the-habs-center-of-attention/

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
Duchene is a no.1 center, RNH is no.2. Galchenyuk as alot of issues to overcome in order to become a true no.1.

But here, something new to chew on :

https://recrutes.ca/the-habs-center-of-attention/

Drouin shouldn't play centre. Alex galchenyuk would work better with his size and abilities.
If the habs can get a player that can win faceoffs while on the wing, then
Player x - galchenyuk - drouin could be a line.
Then you can play max patch - plekanecs - player x

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Drouin shouldn't play centre. Alex galchenyuk would work better with his size and abilities.
If the habs can get a player that can win faceoffs while on the wing, then
Player x - galchenyuk - drouin could be a line.
Then you can play max patch - plekanecs - player x

Drouin at centre us an interesting idea to think about, Whilst Chuck is bigger, Drouin's game is more centre esque. With drouin at centre the habs could run.

Patches-Drouin-Lehkonen
Chucky-Danault-Gallagher
Shaw-Plekanec-Hemsky/Byron
Hudon-Mitchel-Hemsky/Byron

This would insulate both Galchenyuk and Drouin. It would also create 4 lines that can start in basically every zone and can score.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Bergevin should and better trade his first round draft pick in 2018 at the trade deadline for someone like Bryan Little,if the Jets are not in playoff contention,if you are trying to win now with a veteran team.

No he shouldn't. A first in deep draft is worth more than 3 mo ths of little

Buzzman17

Apr 13, 2017
What would the Habs offer up for Kadri? He would immediately step in and be your #1 C.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
There is NO way in hell. That Bergy starts the season with 8.5 million in cap space it would be his death sentence in Montreal.

There is a plan for a center, it will be in place before day 1 of training camp.

The Habs can make the playoffs with the current roster. No need to rush anything. Let's first see how danault matures, how well plekanec as looking for a contract, if galchenyuk wants it or if Drouin can help. We won the division with that core last year so there is no reason to panic.

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
What would the Habs offer up for Kadri? He would immediately step in and be your #1 C.

There is no piece on MTL I'd move him for. Weber has that horrible contract, Price is too expensive for the upgrade. Nothing else on their roster is a need, or worth moving Kadri for

Gyfu

May 16, 2011
Looking for someone better.

agreed but till then' he would easily be our top c... i wouldn't be against getting kadri, for the right price though... which would be pretty high i assume...

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Montreal has an extremely poor roster. But they have Carey Price. Without Price this is a bottom 5 roster. But they have Price. If he's good and healthy you'll be a playoff team. I don't see the pieces to address #1 and #2 centermen on the roster. You'd be talking Drouin with large additions for the #1 and Pacioretty for the #2. Then who do you have on the wing?

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Problem is that just don't have much of anything that they can give up to get those centers that they need.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Montreal has an extremely poor roster. But they have Carey Price. Without Price this is a bottom 5 roster. But they have Price. If he's good and healthy you'll be a playoff team. I don't see the pieces to address #1 and #2 centermen on the roster. You'd be talking Drouin with large additions for the #1 and Pacioretty for the #2. Then who do you have on the wing?

Get a clue man.

2 years ago, our roster was way worst. We lost Price for almost entire year, replaced him with an ahl goalie and we did not finished bottom 5.

Habs without Price and with a decent replacement are battling for a playoffs spot.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Problem is that just don't have much of anything that they can give up to get those centers that they need.

We have enough wing depth to use one for a no.2 center. Gallagher + should do it for RNH. Then use Drouin or Galchenyuk as the other top 6 center, or if it doesn't work out, Danault can do a decent job as a middle 6 center.

Galchenyuk-RNH-Drouin
Pacioretty-Danault-Lehkonen
Byron-Plekanec-Shaw
Hudon-Mitchell-McCarron/Martinsen

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
RNH and Nurse to the Canadiens for a 2018 2nd and Galchenyuk?

I think i would do that as a Habs fan.

But i would tweeked it to fill both teams needs.

Galchenyuk, Plekanec (50% retained) and J.Benn

for

RNH and Nurse

Galchneyuk played his best games as a RW last year and would fill a need for Oilers on the first line, permitting LD to center 2nd line.

Plekanec fill the lost of RNH and is for for the 3rd line center spot.

Benn can split 2nd pair duties with Benning on the right side at a great salary and for 2 more years.

Maroon-CMc-Galchenyuk
Lucic-LD-Strome
Jokinen-Plekanec-Kassian
Slepishev-Caggiula-Letestu

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Benning/Benn
Russel-Benning/Benn

RNH fills a big need for Habs long term and Nurse could take a big step up this year at 23 years old and playing more minutes with Weber and/or Petry.

Pacioretty-RNH-Gallagher
Lehkonen-Danault-Drouin
Hudon-Shaw-Byron
Martinsen-Mitchell-McCarron

Nurse-Weber
Alzner-Petry
Schlemko-Juulsen (if ready)/Davidson/Morrow

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
RNH and Nurse to the Canadiens for a 2018 2nd and Galchenyuk?

Interesting offer. As a Habs fan I would be interested in a RNH & Nurse trade package but I'm not so sure I would trade Galchenyuk yet. I would offer this to the Oilers instead...

Oilers Trade:
- RNH
- Nurse

Habs Trade:
- Gallagher
- Juulsen
- 2018 2nd
- Davidson
- Pleky

DCarriere

Mar 15, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
Our centre problem is entirely overstated. Would adding an established piece be nice? Of course it would. But Galchenyuk was solid for 40ish games last year and another 25 or so the season before. We have too much depth on the wing for him to play anywhere but centre
To start the season.

Danault just had a 40 point year in his first full season at center. To demand that he has to be a third
Line center for this team to be successful is pandering.

Let's have some patience people. Let's see if maybe we have a 1C in Galchenyuk, and a 2C in Danault before trading our leading scorer or top draft pick in my lifetime for some cast off bottom third 1C making ourselves marginally better (debatable) this year only to be worse for the next 5. There should be some solid UFA centres available at the deadline this year if we need to improve. And by the deadline we Will know what we are looking at. And it won't mean mortgaging the future.

All this center talk and people continue to ignore that we have a huge hole next to Weber. Do people really think Jerabak or Davidsok or Schlemko is more likely to be successful as a top pairing D (assuming Alzner partners with Perry) next To Weber than Galchenyuk and Danault can be down the middle?

I agree with this 100%. What irritates me the most I think is how outspoken MB always is on the fact. In his season ending presser, he went out of his way to say "Galchenyuk isn't a C, he's a winger." How about you let your new coach (who is known for getting the most out of players) settle in and make these decisions? This management really does **** me off at times. At the current moment, you really don't have very many other options than to put Galchenyuk at C.

DCarriere

Mar 15, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
Drouin at centre us an interesting idea to think about, Whilst Chuck is bigger, Drouin's game is more centre esque. With drouin at centre the habs could run.

Patches-Drouin-Lehkonen
Chucky-Danault-Gallagher
Shaw-Plekanec-Hemsky/Byron
Hudon-Mitchel-Hemsky/Byron

This would insulate both Galchenyuk and Drouin. It would also create 4 lines that can start in basically every zone and can score.

Drouin only played a handful of games at C last year, and from what I've gathered he's not the strongest in the defensive zone when playing down the middle either. I think he's much better suited for wing. I'd much rather see Galchenyuk start at C; There's definitely support in an arguement to keep him at centre, if you look at how he played down the stretch two years ago (with that huge goal scoring streak playing with Patches), and before his injury last year.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Interesting offer. As a Habs fan I would be interested in a RNH & Nurse trade package but I'm not so sure I would trade Galchenyuk yet. I would offer this to the Oilers instead...

Oilers Trade:
- RNH
- Nurse

Habs Trade:
- Gallagher
- Juulsen
- 2018 2nd
- Davidson
- Pleky

I'd rather give up Galchenyuk than Gallagher, let alone add Juulsen, Davidson and Plekanec to that

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Tavares is by far the best C for MTL to target as a UFA. I am pretty certain he is done in NYI land by what's been said to date.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
You dont think any of the defensive problems were because the C was overmatched in almost every circumstance?

Who was the last Cup winner without a strong 1C?

The difference is that the Habs have a better goalie and d core to make up for their issues up front. Still doesn't mean their going to win the cup but it's clearly a much better situation than the Leafs were in, especially since they have guys who can play centre (Galchenyuk) if need be.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
The difference is that the Habs have a better goalie and d core to make up for their issues up front. Still doesn't mean their going to win the cup but it's clearly a much better situation than the Leafs were in, especially since they have guys who can play centre (Galchenyuk) if need be.

Your D core isn't especially good. And it feels pretty clear Montreal doesn't view Galchenyuk as a center imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad