Proposal: Montreal and their Centre woes

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Leafs team defence was poor early in the season when 9 rookies and new players were new to the team, After February 1st the Leafs were in the top half defensively. Realistically the Leafs Dmen collectively are far superior to the Habs group now.

I don't know really don't what the urgency is for the Canadians to get a top centre this year. This year seems to lost and the Canadian should start their cap and player strategy for 2020.

If their cap and player strategy should be focused on 2020, what does that mean for players like Weber and Pacioretty? I don't see how you consider them to part of Montreal's core in that case.

Last edited by a moderator:

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Montreal is going to have to be really creative to come up with a trade that doesn't involve their futures and/or jeopardize their talent level on their current roster but that is not going to happen. Montreal is better off seeing if they can sign Tavares.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
Leafs team defence was poor early in the season when 9 rookies and new players were new to the team, After February 1st the Leafs were in the top half defensively. Realistically the Leafs Dmen collectively are far superior to the Habs group now.

I don't know really don't what the urgency is for the Canadians to get a top centre this year. This year seems to lost and the Canadian should start their cap and player strategy for 2020.

He was talking about the Bozak/Kadri/Grabovski years. Not last years team.

This year is lost haha. Come on. We won the division last year, and our centers were average last year too. We are in the same group of teams as we were last year. A step behind Tampa/Pittsburgh/Washington. We'll likely be 4-8 somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron

This year is lost haha. Come on. We won the division last year, and our centers were average last year too. We are in the same group of teams as we were last year. A step behind Tampa/Pittsburgh/Washington. We'll likely be 4-8 somewhere.

No I'm serious, Montreal had a very fast start to the season and faded considerably by Christmas. And the Habs haven't got any better. Lost Radulov, gained Drouin....that's about even. Lost Markov gained Alzner that's a big lost. We'll see if Denault and Byron can keep up their break out season.

I have Tampa winning the Atlantic. But I don't see the current edition of the Habs better than the Leafs, Sens or Bruins. And Pittsburg, Washington, Rangers and Columbus seem to locks in the Metro for playoff spots. And even the Canes or Isles could gain a fifth playoff spot from the Atlantic.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
No I'm serious, Montreal had a very fast start to the season and faded considerably by Christmas. And the Habs haven't got any better. Lost Radulov, gained Drouin....that's about even. Lost Markov gained Alzner that's a big lost. We'll see if Denault and Byron can keep up their break out season.

I have Tampa winning the Atlantic. But I don't see the current edition of the Habs better than the Leafs, Sens or Bruins. And Pittsburg, Washington, Rangers and Columbus seem to locks in the Metro for playoff spots. And even the Canes or Isles could gain a fifth playoff spot from the Atlantic.

Another overstatement. 1 LD is the glaring hole in our roster but the one thing that Markov provided that Alzner can't is powerplay production. I'm not concerned about the 9 points of 5 on 5 production difference between the two over 82 games and I'm convinced that Drouin will more than fulfill Markovs PP QB duties. Adding a top LD would make us better, but the loss of Markov isn't the Mountain it's being made out to be in my opinion.

I would love a 1D as I think an Alzner - Petry second pairing would be really good and I'm not sure Alzner is the best compliment for Weber. But we aren't the dumpster fire back there that people are pretending.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014

I strongly disagree with TBay. Bishop is gone and Vasilevsky isn't capable as of now of being a stable 65 games no.1 goalie.

I see a crowded Atlantic division at the top. It will be between TBay, Mtl, Leafs and maybe Sens but Florida and Boston will be a step behind.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Another overstatement. 1 LD is the glaring hole in our roster but the one thing that Markov provided that Alzner can't is powerplay production. I'm not concerned about the 9 points of 5 on 5 production difference between the two over 82 games and I'm convinced that Drouin will more than fulfill Markovs PP QB duties. Adding a top LD would make us better, but the loss of Markov isn't the Mountain it's being made out to be in my opinion.

I would love a 1D as I think an Alzner - Petry second pairing would be really good and I'm not sure Alzner is the best compliment for Weber. But we aren't the dumpster fire back there that people are pretending.

100% agreeing with you. And if there is certain level of lost in the Markov-Alzner swap, having Price behind will cover a big bunch of it.

pc_md

Jun 3, 2006
Habs center problem is overblown.

They don't have an established #1 center and don't have anyone in junior or in the AHL that can realistically aspire to this role. That is a problem, their main problem, no doubt about it. But when was the last time they held an undisputed #1 center ?

Saying they have a center depth or 2nd line center problem is misleading IMO.
- Danault's 40 points (while being an excellent defensive forward) is very respectable for a 2nd line center and he's a 24 years old player with only one complete season.
- Plekanec's drop in production has been widely interpreted as his decline, but it also could just be a bad season. He was after all one of the most two way 55 points center in the league.
- Galchenyuk started last year as the #1 center and somehow hit a wall at some point. Who knows how he reacts this year.
- Drouin has played center in junior and remains another option.
- While I don't believe he has any top 6 potential, McCarron can easily give them a physical presence as a bottom 6 center.

The 2nd problem is not depth, or lack of talent. It's the uncertainty around which chair belongs to which player.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Habs center problem is overblown.

They don't have an established #1 center and don't have anyone in junior or in the AHL that can realistically aspire to this role. That is a problem, their main problem, no doubt about it. But when was the last time they held an undisputed #1 center ?

Saying they have a center depth or 2nd line center problem is misleading IMO.
- Danault's 40 points (while being an excellent defensive forward) is very respectable for a 2nd line center and he's a 24 years old player with only one complete season.
- Plekanec's drop in production has been widely interpreted as his decline, but it also could just be a bad season. He was after all one of the most two way 55 points center in the league.
- Galchenyuk started last year as the #1 center and somehow hit a wall at some point. Who knows how he reacts this year.
- Drouin has played center in junior and remains another option.
- While I don't believe he has any top 6 potential, McCarron can easily give them a physical presence as a bottom 6 center.

The 2nd problem is not depth, or lack of talent. It's the uncertainty around which chair belongs to which player.

Yeah i guess we will see. And that's probably why Plekanec is still a Habs. He is a stop gap defensively and on FO.

For me if Galchenyuk can bring is FO % to 50%, he will be the 1st line center. Yes he has issues with his defensive play but you can always put him between two defensively responsible wingers like Pacioretty and Lehkonen.

I'm pretty sure the lines at the start of the season will be :

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Lehkonen
Drouin-Danault-Gallagher
Byron-Plekanec-Shaw

With Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Lehkonen, Drouin and Weber on the first PP unit.

Tankster*

Jun 18, 2016
St Jean (US export)
Your name says it all. Leafs team defence was poor early in the season when 9 rookies and new players were new to the team, After February 1st the Leafs were in the top half defensively. Realistically the Leafs Dmen collectively are far superior to the Habs group now.

Follow the group please.
Stopped reading here.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
The Canadians are in a dire need for centres.
A number 2 C and obviously a number 1 C.

What centres can be had with these players being on the table.

Jeff Petry
Alex Galchenyuk

Get creative and don't include Thomas plecs in deals

Good luck moving Jeff Petry with his full NMC he chose Montreal because it's still close to his Michigan home. So more or less he will probably want to stay in the east i would imagine.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Damn straight its not happening. Because there isnt a chance in HELL Montreal does this.

I'd do it as a Habs fan. Chucky is great at PP and useful as a top 6 complimentary piece but he's had a lot of chances to make it as a centre, at this point I just don't believe he's gonna pan out. Duchene would make us much more better and a 1st isn't too much to give to even out the values imo.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Wouldn't RNH be on Montreal's radar? He may not be a #1 but given more minutes as the #2C, he could get back to his 50+ pt seasons.

Petry ($5.5 million per)
Plekanec (50% retention, $3 million per)
2018 2nd round pick (you have two, CHI or MTL, based on better draft spot)

for

RNH ($6 million per)
Benning (925k per)
Fayne ($3.625 million per)

.... would it work? EDM gets some cap relief, add a solid RHD and pick in a deep draft, MTL gets a decent #2C and hope Gally can become a #1 while getting Benning to try to replace Petry.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Wouldn't RNH be on Montreal's radar? He may not be a #1 but given more minutes as the #2C, he could get back to his 50+ pt seasons.

Petry ($5.5 million per)

for

RNH ($6 million per)
Benning (925k per)

.... would it work? EDM gets some cap relief, add a solid RHD and pick in a deep draft, MTL gets a decent #2C and hope Gally can become a #1 while getting Benning to try to replace Petry.

I wouldn't count on Benning being able to replace Petry on any level. If he does though, this is a steal for Montreal.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I wouldn't count on Benning being able to replace Petry on any level. If he does though, this is a steal for Montreal.

My bad, more meant stopgap while Juulsen can get some AHL minutes or possibly grab a bottom pairing role with the big club this year. Benning had a decent rookie season, 23 yrs old, still has some upside but Juulsen would become your long term #2RD.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
My bad, more meant stopgap while Juulsen can get some AHL minutes or possibly grab a bottom pairing role with the big club this year. Benning had a decent rookie season, 23 yrs old, still has some upside but Juulsen would become your long term #2RD.

It's still too early to tell if Juulsen will pan out as a top 4 dman. He will probably get some bottom pairing minutes this season but not much more than that, we absolutely need Petry because otherwise Juulsen (or Benning if your proposal would become true) would have to step up big time this season, otherwise our D core is gonna look like a joke. I personally love Petry's play and he's signed on a great contract plus he has a NMC, no need to have him included in trade talks.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
It's still too early to tell if Juulsen will pan out as a top 4 dman. He will probably get some bottom pairing minutes this season but not much more than that, we absolutely need Petry because otherwise Juulsen (or Benning if your proposal would become true) would have to step up big time this season, otherwise our D core is gonna look like a joke. I personally love Petry's play and he's signed on a great contract plus he has a NMC, no need to have him included in trade talks.

You also have the league's best goaltender which helps the defense. I understand the hesitation to part with Petry but you have to give to get and you implied this was a steal for MTL meaning RNH is the best player in the deal. IF you guys aren't willing to part with either player in the OP then you should just play out this season as suggested above and re-evaluate come trade deadline.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010

Petry ($5.5 million per)

for

RNH ($6 million per)
Benning (925k per)

Benning is highly thought of in Edmonton and looks like a solid future #4. He's excellent in his current role and holds more value to Edmonton than in trade.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Yeah , no. I wouldn't trade Petry as he is our only puck moving D on our top 4 and sadly, our No.2 D behind Weber.

I prefer moving a winger for RNH.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015

At least you guys will make the playoffs. The leafs won't imo

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
You also have the league's best goaltender which helps the defense. I understand the hesitation to part with Petry but you have to give to get and you implied this was a steal for MTL meaning RNH is the best player in the deal. IF you guys aren't willing to part with either player in the OP then you should just play out this season as suggested above and re-evaluate come trade deadline.

I said it's a steal if Benning can replace Petry, which would give us the cheaper #2RD, plus to get Nuge for a 2nd rounder and some cap space for one year is obviously a steal. But that's far-fetched.

Anyway, we aren't willing to part with Petry. I could part with Galchenyuk but I'm not sure if there's a team that would want him and can spare a long term #2C for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad