Proposal: Montreal and their Centre woes

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Wouldn't RNH be on Montreal's radar? He may not be a #1 but given more minutes as the #2C, he could get back to his 50+ pt seasons.

Petry ($5.5 million per)
Plekanec (50% retention, $3 million per)
2018 2nd round pick (you have two, CHI or MTL, based on better draft spot)

for

RNH ($6 million per)
Benning (925k per)
Fayne ($3.625 million per)

.... would it work? EDM gets some cap relief, add a solid RHD and pick in a deep draft, MTL gets a decent #2C and hope Gally can become a #1 while getting Benning to try to replace Petry.

Petry is not waving his NMC to go to Edmonton.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
Wouldn't RNH be on Montreal's radar? He may not be a #1 but given more minutes as the #2C, he could get back to his 50+ pt seasons.

Petry ($5.5 million per)

for

RNH ($6 million per)
Benning (925k per)

.... would it work? EDM gets some cap relief, add a solid RHD and pick in a deep draft, MTL gets a decent #2C and hope Gally can become a #1 while getting Benning to try to replace Petry.

RNH is certainly on the radar but I find it unlikely that he is moved until the off season. He's an established center on a cup contender. Even if he's used as a 3rd liner, he's going to be an important part of their depth chart.

RNH is more of a next season target if Galchenyuk and Danault prove incapable of shouldering the load.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

Petry ($5.5 million per)

for

RNH ($6 million per)
Benning (925k per)

I don't want to speak for Oilers fans, but i am not sure they are shopping RNH...the minute they deal him, they lose the option of vmoving Drai around from 2C to McDavid's wing.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Petry is not waving his NMC to go to Edmonton.

Care to elaborate why? EDM is turning into a legit contender, MTL is in the mix but I'd say EDM has the better overall shot between the two teams.

RNH is certainly on the radar but I find it unlikely that he is moved until the off season. He's an established center on a cup contender. Even if he's used as a 3rd liner, he's going to be an important part of their depth chart.

RNH is more of a next season target if Galchenyuk and Danault prove incapable of shouldering the load.

Good points. EDM still has a year before they need to cut salary, just figured Pleks is still skilled enough to play 3C while adding a top 4 d-man in Petry.

I don't want to speak for Oilers fans, but i am not sure they are shopping RNH...the minute they deal him, they lose the option of vmoving Drai around from 2C to McDavid's wing.

You wouldn't split CM and LD up? Having them on the same line is similar to Crosby and Malkin on the same line. Spread the wealth just like CHI does with Kane and Toews as well. On the PP, you could make up for that by having a lethal trio of:

Lucic - McDavid - Drai

They are good enough on their own now to be the dominant player on their respective lines.

Here in Florida, I'd drool at the chance to see Huberdeau - Barkov - Trocheck but it just depletes the rest of the depth throughout the lineup, just my .02 cents.

TheGhost

Jun 11, 2015
Salmon Arm, BC
Care to elaborate why? EDM is turning into a legit contender, MTL is in the mix but I'd say EDM has the better overall shot between the two teams.

Good points. EDM still has a year before they need to cut salary, just figured Pleks is still skilled enough to play 3C while adding a top 4 d-man in Petry.

You wouldn't split CM and LD up? Having them on the same line is similar to Crosby and Malkin on the same line. Spread the wealth just like CHI does with Kane and Toews as well. On the PP, you could make up for that by having a lethal trio of:

Lucic - McDavid - Drai

They are good enough on their own now to be the dominant player on their respective lines.

Here in Florida, I'd drool at the chance to see Huberdeau - Barkov - Trocheck but it just depletes the rest of the depth throughout the lineup, just my .02 cents.

Most of the time, McDavid and Draisaitl will be on separate lines, but if McClellan wants to put them together for period/game/whatever (because they were so good together last year), having RNH around allows him to do that. Also, in regards to the PP loading of a line, Maroon clicked far better with McDavid and Draisaitl than Lucic did (but that's a different discussion altogether).

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

Lucic - McDavid - Drai

Not always...no. But much like in the playoffs, when the need an offensive push, it's nice to have that option.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Most of the time, McDavid and Draisaitl will be on separate lines, but if McClellan wants to put them together for period/game/whatever (because they were so good together last year), having RNH around allows him to do that. Also, in regards to the PP loading of a line, Maroon clicked far better with McDavid and Draisaitl than Lucic did (but that's a different discussion altogether).

Not always...no. But much like in the playoffs, when the need an offensive push, it's nice to have that option.

I agree with both of your bolded parts, most coaches, if not all will do this all in move with the game on the line.
Don't catch a lot of Oiler games unless on the weekend so I just assumed Lucic was still the better of the two, you get my point though whether it was Lucic or Maroon, you don't pair these guys together all year long and deplete depth.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
If the Habs trade Petry they have one of the worst defenses in the league. Shea Weber and a whole lot of meh. Your best bet is probably to go after RNH with some futures.

I never said our center depth is fine. I said that we don't really know what our center depth is. Galchenyuk has had been really good as a center for significant stretches. Can he find a bit more stability this year at the position? I don't know, but I would rather give him a shot to start the season than to trade our leading scorer in Pacioretty for another question mark at center.

Danault is going into his 3rd full season. You mention Bozak, well if Danault can have the same jump in offense that Bozak did going from his second to third season than he'll be solidify himself as a 2C as he already has the defensive game.

So again, I would much rather give the guys we have a shot to establish themselves than give the high end assets required to acquire a center right now. This team has shown it's good enough to compete with the centers we have (something that your Leafs never did). If they aren't good enough, upgrade at the deadline.

Our centers have a shot at developing and being good enough, or LD likely does not. Hence fix that problem now, judge the centers tomorrow.

Another overstatement. 1 LD is the glaring hole in our roster but the one thing that Markov provided that Alzner can't is powerplay production. I'm not concerned about the 9 points of 5 on 5 production difference between the two over 82 games and I'm convinced that Drouin will more than fulfill Markovs PP QB duties. Adding a top LD would make us better, but the loss of Markov isn't the Mountain it's being made out to be in my opinion.

I would love a 1D as I think an Alzner - Petry second pairing would be really good and I'm not sure Alzner is the best compliment for Weber. But we aren't the dumpster fire back there that people are pretending.

NYR does not have surplus pivot.

We do have Holden to address your LD.
Only 1 yr at a mil +, but fine for a stop gap
cost is
one of your multiple 2nds
or
McCarron

3rd pair LD who can spell 2nd pair now
for
4th line elc F with touch of upside potential

thoughts?

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009

cost is
or
McCarron

for

thoughts?

Value is probably fair and I do think Holden is a bit underrated but we have so many 5/6/7 D types
Right now that I don't think I would give up anything for another.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI

Petry's first stint in Edmonton did not go well, and I doubt he wants to move that far west anyway, since he's from Michigan. If he waves his NMC, I would expect it to only be for someplace closer to home -- not farther away.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal

cost is
or
McCarron

for

thoughts?

not trading big Mac for a 3rd paring dman. habs believe he can become a no.3 C with giant size who can score 15-20. habs have lacked size at C for ages they aren't trading him . he'll get legitimate shot under julien

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland

cost is
or
McCarron

for

thoughts?

Holden is not the guy we want in our top 4. Habs give you a conditional fourth round pick (if he doesn't get waived and claimed) but honestly not a lot of interest in him.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Montreal is better off trying to fill the void with Galchenyuk or Drouin. They don't have the farm system to actually go out and make a deal that would help them now.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
thanks to all for Holden feedback

no thanks for the Holden offer.
acknowledged

Value is probably fair and I do think Holden is a bit underrated but we have so many 5/6/7 D types
Right now that I don't think I would give up anything for another.
Appreciate your 2 cents on value.
Nice to know even if it is still not a fit, it was fair value.
I don't always agree on coke for pepsi
but when that is the intent, nice to know we are at least in ballpark

not trading big Mac for a 3rd paring dman. habs believe he can become a no.3 C with giant size who can score 15-20. habs have lacked size at C for ages they aren't trading him . he'll get legitimate shot under julien
Concur he is presently a 4th w/3rd line upside potential
goal scoring projection seems reasonably optimistic
On principle of fairness to all, hope he does get a legit shot, which all who do not disqualify themselves deserve.

Having said that, it should not be discounted that, while not all that and a bag of chips, Holden has decent + size and speed, already is ballpark of 15 goals as a backliner, not an F; and can provide temp fill in relief on 2nd pair
Holden will be gone by then, but keep us please updated on how Mc does w/Julien. I think it will work out, but if not, we may be interested.

Holden is not the guy we want in our top 4. Habs give you a conditional fourth round pick (if he doesn't get waived and claimed) but honestly not a lot of interest in him.
conditional doesn't cut it.
he will get solid 3rd or low 2nd, or Rangers will add and get a better 2nd
supply and demand, he will find a home
book it

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Agreed. This is the Habs best option for this season.

Yeah, at least worth a try. Galchenyuk's first part of last season at center was interesting. I think if he can bring his FO% near or at 50%, he will get the spot. There also seems to be a possibility that Drouin can play center. I don't know about that but he surely has the tools to do it.

That being said, i think a deal based on RNH and Gallagher would be great for both teams.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
There is NO way in hell. That Bergy starts the season with 8.5 million in cap space it would be his death sentence in Montreal.

There is a plan for a center, it will be in place before day 1 of training camp.

Like who??

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
There is NO way in hell. That Bergy starts the season with 8.5 million in cap space it would be his death sentence in Montreal.

There is a plan for a center, it will be in place before day 1 of training camp.

While the team has the cap space, it doesn't have the assets to acquire a true #1 center without gutting another position. Someone like Tavares would cost an asset like Weber (who the Habs cannot afford to give up), Sakic has overpriced Duchene, and I doubt Edmonton will deal RNH before next offseason. And I'm not sure I would classify Duchene or RNH as #1 centers anyway.

At least Galchenyuk has had some success at the position.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->