Proposal: Montreal and their Centre woes

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Why??

We won atlantic division last year.

If you think going from Markov to Alzner is a major downgrade for the team, so they become a bubble team, i don't know what to say to you.

Markov was our 3rd D behind Weber and Petry last year. So will Alzner. I agree Markov was way better offensively but Alzner is arguably better defensively.

Other thing, Schlemko is better than Emelin or Beaulieu. So defensively, the group isn't worst than last year.

Offensively, maybe Byron drops a notch from his last years production but Plekanec (contract year), Galchenyuk (major injurie last year) and specificaly Lehkonen will probably all have better season than last year.

And Gallagher

I love how fatalistic montreal is.. 50% say we are doomed and 50% think we are contenders. Personally, i think we will be 2-3rd in our division and will be making the playoffs with the team we have now. I think markov is better than Alzner (though older), but i think Alzner can play more minutes without being burnt out at the end of the year. I think Drouin should make as many points as Radu last year, with a higher uptake in the years after. Hemsky? Meh..

I am extatic about an apparent change in philosophy to have more youngsters in mtl this year, though. Hudon! Finally!

so all in all.. i think we are pretty much even to last year.. the problem is that the other teams (toronto and buffalo in particular) are better..

Gaud

May 11, 2017
We aren't better than Nashville or TB, the rest are debatable and so is Minnesota.

Sounds to me that you guys agree that mtl is ARGUABLY in the top ten then :D
Now add a piece or two using the cap space we have. (Center or LW?)

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland

Sounds to me that you guys agree that mtl is ARGUABLY in the top ten then :D
Now add a piece or two using the cap space we have. (Center or LW?)

Yeah like realistically we aren't a top 5 team but if everything falls nicely in place we're top 10 for sure.

But why would we add a LW?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
And Gallagher

I love how fatalistic montreal is.. 50% say we are doomed and 50% think we are contenders. Personally, i think we will be 2-3rd in our division and will be making the playoffs with the team we have now. I think markov is better than Alzner (though older), but i think Alzner can play more minutes without being burnt out at the end of the year. I think Drouin should make as many points as Radu last year, with a higher uptake in the years after. Hemsky? Meh..

I am extatic about an apparent change in philosophy to have more youngsters in mtl this year, though. Hudon! Finally!

so all in all.. i think we are pretty much even to last year.. the problem is that the other teams (toronto and buffalo in particular) are better..

More like 75% of people say we are doomed and 25% say we are still that same top 10 playoff team and we possible can get better if we manage to add the right pieces.

Also, Just because other teams like the Leafs and Sabres are young, doesn't mean they will get better. If that is the case, the Habs large group of players age 25 and under will also make us a better team. Works two ways.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
More like 75% of people say we are doomed and 25% say we are still that same top 10 playoff team and we possible can get better if we manage to add the right pieces.

Also, Just because other teams like the Leafs and Sabres are young, doesn't mean they will get better. If that is the case, the Habs large group of players age 25 and under will also make us a better team. Works two ways.

I forgot who had the list of twelve teams that are "better " than montreal , but some guy argued with 5 of those, and 2 agreed that 2 of the five were indeed better.
I was just doing simple math: 12-5+2=9... so mtl is somewhere in the top 9 (seems like a small-sample consensus lol)

I agree about your assesment of young teams, but i genuinely think that Toronto and Buffalo could hurt us right from this season. Our division was relatively weak last year, and those teams have gotten better IMO. I dont think Mtl will be first this year.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Yeah like realistically we aren't a top 5 team but if everything falls nicely in place we're top 10 for sure.

LOL gotta hate those days when you mix up your Ds and Ws :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Actually Condon had a great year in Ottawa, saved our season with all the leave Andy had to take.

There's this thing called development, Condon just wasn't ready yet when he had to replace Price (which even if you're not a rookie is a tough spot). I agree that he looked solid in Ottawa last year.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I forgot who had the list of twelve teams that are "better " than montreal , but some guy argued with 5 of those, and 2 agreed that 2 of the five were indeed better.
I was just doing simple math: 12-5+2=9... so mtl is somewhere in the top 9 (seems like a small-sample consensus lol)

I agree about your assesment of young teams, but i genuinely think that Toronto and Buffalo could hurt us right from this season. Our division was relatively weak last year, and those teams have gotten better IMO. I dont think Mtl will be first this year.

Team Defense and Goaltending is the reason why the Habs have been a top 10 NHL team over the last 5 seasons. Our D is actually more stable then ever before if you ask me. Yeah we lack the offensive type guys but we are going to be one hell of the team to score against. Add the speed and youth we have up front and I think there is plenty of reason to be excited about the Habs this year. That don't even factor in what player we will add with our cap space either.

Leafs have a very very good top 9 but their D is average at best. Goaltending is good though. I think they have work to do at improving their D and if they trade JVR and Bozak at the trade deadline, they will be taking a little step back with their top 9 depth if you ask me. If JVR and Bozak are traded as pending UFA's, the return is likely draft picks and prospects. We should be worried about the Leafs but they have work to do yet to get to our level.

Sabres. Well, they may be this years version of the Leafs but not as good. Not worried about them until they actually start winning games. Their D and goaltending is not the greatest. They will likely be a bubble playoff team this year and I think they miss the playoffs again.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

You guys are, at absolute best IMO the 6th best team in the East. And that's IF I put you ahead of the Leafs, which I'm not sure I'm especially inclined to do.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You guys are, at absolute best IMO the 6th best team in the East. And that's IF I put you ahead of the Leafs, which I'm not sure I'm especially inclined to do.

Habs are in the mix with various teams. We could finish 3rd or we can finish 8th in the East. Every year is different and you can't "absolutely" say anything. The strength to the Habs is team D, Goaltending, and speed up front. The Habs will be very hard to beat if they stay healthy.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Like everything on this board evolving Montreal, ppl try to make things seem worse than they are..

Danault had 40 points last year and at the start of the year he was a 4th line LW..

When he moved to centre, he had to do so playing vs other teams top lines.. So its not he had those points at centre while playing weak completion. Easily good enough for a 2nd line centre role.

The reality of it is Galchenyuk is playing centre this season, look at Mtl depth chart and there is no other spot, unless Drouin is at centre.. either way that's a talent player being put in a good position to produce offense, where they are likely to get easy matches up, with the Danault line facing other teams top lines.

While overpaid at 6M cap hit (5M cash/1 year left), Plekanec is more than good enough to be a 3rd line centre..

Then its likely either McCarron/Mitchell as a 4th line centre role.

Sure Mtl doesn't have that number 1 centre who puts up points and plays vs other teams top lines, but if you look at how Julien used his top 2 lines in Boston, he had one centre get the offensive zone starts with Krejci (Galchenyuk role), and Bergeron take on the d-zone role (Danault).

IMO the change I would do is get ride of Plekanec and get a 3rd line centre with more of an offensive treat, with Danault taking on the tough matches up, why not use that another scoring line.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland

Edit: nvm I thought you were ranking the division. 6th in the east is not far off but we have some upside in the offense and a goalie who can pretty much alone secure us a playoff spot. I guess Pittsburgh, Tampa, Washington, Toronto and Columbus can be predicted ahead of us but I see us having the edge on the other teams.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Edit: nvm I thought you were ranking the division. 6th in the east is not far off but we have some upside in the offense and a goalie who can pretty much alone secure us a playoff spot. I guess Pittsburgh, Tampa, Washington, Toronto and Columbus can be predicted ahead of us but I see us having the edge on the other teams.

Tampa is not the same team with out Bishop, Drouin, Filppula, & Garrison. They added what? Kunitz and Giradi and Sergachev who may or may not be NHL ready? Vasilevskiy is very inconsistent if you ask me and that D after Hedman is not very good.

As far as the Leafs, they had a great year but they are not surprising anyone anymore. With expectations, comes pressure. I think they are going to get a bit better vs last year but lets not "crown" them a top 10 NHL team yet. They have work to do with their defense. Offense in the top 9 is very scary though

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Tampa is not the same team with out Bishop, Drouin, Filppula, & Garrison. They added what? Kunitz and Giradi and Sergachev who may or may not be NHL ready? Vasilevskiy is very inconsistent if you ask me and that D after Hedman is not very good.

As far as the Leafs, they had a great year but they are not surprising anyone anymore. With expectations, comes pressure. I think they are going to get a bit better vs last year but lets not "crown" them a top 10 NHL team yet. They have work to do with their defense. Offense in the top 9 is very scary though

Tampa was a clear cup contender before all those injuries last year, they are likely bouncing back even without those four (Garrison was pretty bad last year anyway). Vasilevskiy was also showing improvement towards the end of the season, I'd expect him to be a solid starter.

The Leafs are sort of a wild card indeed, they have a lot of sophomores who surprised everyone as rookies but with Babs I don't see them collapsing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad