Proposal: Montreal and Edmonton

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
10th overall for Galchenyuk is less objectionable than the idiotic 10th overall or 10th overall plus for Pacioretty but it suffers from the same issues.

It's the Oilers targeting a short term piece that they don't have the cap space to retain long term. It also does nothing to address the issue of the lack of offense from the defense which was the stated purpose of shopping this pick.

Why are the Oilers trading for a short term winger upgrade particularly with such a large asset when according to the teams general manager wingers are easy to find?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Just trade Pacioretty for a center prospect and pick and sign Stastny. Running with Drouin and Galy as your two top six LWs isn't the worst thing in the world. There's no sense in starting this pissing match again. The Oilers aren't gutting their center depth for a winger.

Reactions: Spooky Actions

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
Nuge is a hell of a player, can be a real difference maker, but man I love Galchenyuk as a player so I don't mind everybody rejecting this idea lol

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
The two players may have similar total production, but they're careers are going in opposite directions. Besides that, RNH is a natural center, which is worth more than a natural winger whose career is floundering.
Galchenyuk was -31 last year, yikes!
To be fair, any player on the habs who played any decent amount of time per game had a crappy +/-

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
To be fair, any player on the habs who played any decent amount of time per game had a crappy +/-

The trio of Petry Galchenyuk and Drouin were all -30, no other players were close to as bad. I don't want any One if those 3 on my team

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm down with Galchenyuk for Kotkaniemi, but he has to be there at 10

Oilers need to add. Galchenyuk for Kotkaniemi +!

In 12 months time, you might hate that trade! Kotkaniemi is an unproven asset and Galchenyuk is just starting his mature years. For as much as I like Kotkaniemi, That would be a major gamble and has a very high probability of backfiring

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
RNH is the better center but not the better winger. Also, I'm not interested in this lateral move.

It is only a lateral move if you're getting the same type player back. You're getting a center for a winger.

Regardless, Edmonton holds onto RNH now and should play him for 70+ games on McDavids wing. If he gets 60-65 points there I am pretty happy.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It is only a lateral move if you're getting the same type player back. You're getting a center for a winger.

Regardless, Edmonton holds onto RNH now and should play him for 70+ games on McDavids wing. If he gets 60-65 points there I am pretty happy.

RNH vs Galchenyuk. Lateral move IMO. Habs don't get any better. RNH is not the type of center I want. I prefer to keep Galchenyuk as he is just touching his prime years and there is no future rule where he will never play center again as he matures into his mid 20's

Moving RNH to McDavid's wing. That's how much of an impact center RNH is.

c_robio

Feb 3, 2006
Oilers need to add. Galchenyuk for Kotkaniemi +!

In 12 months time, you might hate that trade! Kotkaniemi is an unproven asset and Galchenyuk is just starting his mature years. For as much as I like Kotkaniemi, That would be a major gamble and has a very high probability of backfiring

Do you believe that Galchenyuk is going to re-sign ? I don't.

It's proper asset management to trade Galchenyuk now while he has solid value and if Kotkaniemi is there, he's our best chance at a top line C.

How do you propose we get a center ?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Do you believe that Galchenyuk is going to re-sign ? I don't.

It's proper asset management to trade Galchenyuk now while he has solid value and if Kotkaniemi is there, he's our best chance at a top line C.

How do you propose we get a center ?

Understood but I rather trade Galchenyuk for a prospect who older and more proven. Galchenyuk has more value and I think he would re-sign but it's going to cost us. My top 3 options for Galchenyuk

1. Galchenyuk for Borgstrom + type trade. We get a young center and additional pieces. Not many teams jump at making this move with us but we should stay patient.

2. Galchenyuk is age 24 and just showing maturity. That happens to a lot of players in their mid 20's. I expect him to mature even more and his offensive skills are elite level. I'm willing to ride out the two years to see his stock value rise. Probability says he will mature and become a complete player by age 26.

3. What will it take to re-sign him? Hard to predict. Start that process next summer if he has a good year next year. If he shows signs at wanting to break the bank, then we explore trade options. I think we get more for him in 12 months time vs what we get today

c_robio

Feb 3, 2006
Understood but I rather trade Galchenyuk for a prospect who older and more proven. Galchenyuk has more value and I think he would re-sign but it's going to cost us. My top 3 options for Galchenyuk

1. Galchenyuk for Borgstrom + type trade. We get a young center and additional pieces. Not many teams jump at making this move with us but we should stay patient.

2. Galchenyuk is age 24 and just showing maturity. That happens to a lot of players in their mid 20's. I expect him to mature even more and his offensive skills are elite level. I'm willing to ride out the two years to see his stock value rise. Probability says he will mature and become a complete player by age 26.

3. What will it take to re-sign him? Hard to predict. Start that process next summer if he has a good year next year. If he shows signs at wanting to break the bank, then we explore trade options. I think we get more for him in 12 months time vs what we get today

I don't mind Borgstrom but I doubt Panthers make that trade.

I also don't think he's more proven than Kotkaniemi who played well in a men's league, which is better competition than NCAA

I can't see Galchenyuk's value going up as a rental a year from now

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
RNH vs Galchenyuk. Lateral move IMO. Habs don't get any better. RNH is not the type of center I want. I prefer to keep Galchenyuk as he is just touching his prime years and there is no future rule where he will never play center again as he matures into his mid 20's

Weak comment. Poorly thought out. RNH was moved to McDavid's wing is an indictment of the quality of wingers available in the organization, not because RNH is a poor center.

In fact the Habs would get better if RNH was somehow acquired by them. He would easily be Montreal's best center. Having a better center would make your capable wingers (Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Drouin) more successful. Also RNH just turned 25 in April.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Weak comment. Poorly thought out. RNH was moved to McDavid's wing is an indictment of the quality of wingers available in the organization, not because RNH is a poor center.

In fact the Habs would get better if RNH was somehow acquired by them. He would easily be Montreal's best center. Having a better center would make your capable wingers (Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Drouin) more successful. Also RNH just turned 25 in April.

You missed the point. If RNH was an impact center, he would be playing #2 center behind McDavid, not on his wing. And I'm not saying RNH is a bad center. I'm saying he don't help the Habs so no, I'm not trading Galchenyuk for him in any spare parts added to the deal

I would like to add RNH on the Habs if we had a better group of forwards. Habs have a cluster of soft forwards and only Gallagher that wins puck battles. RNH don't help us in that department and he will drown on our team like Patch did last year. Radulov was able to draw attention and we all know how our team looks without him.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
You missed the point. If RNH was an impact center, he would be playing #2 center behind McDavid, not on his wing. And I'm not saying RNH is a bad center. I'm saying he don't help the Habs so no, I'm not trading Galchenyuk for him in any spare parts added to the deal

I would like to add RNH on the Habs if we had a better group of forwards. Habs have a cluster of soft forwards and only Gallagher that wins puck battles. RNH don't help us in that department and he will drown on our team like Patch did last year. Radulov was able to draw attention and we all know how our team looks without him.

... what? Have you ever watched RNH play?

Did you forget that the Oilers also have Draisaitl?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
... what? Have you ever watched RNH play?

Did you forget that the Oilers also have Draisaitl?

Yes, I know who RNH is and I have watched him play. He don't help the Habs become a better team. Why? Cause he drowns like Patch did last year. RNH is not a gritty center. He is a talented center. RNH is not the answer for the Habs. Rather keep Galchenyuk and not make a lateral move.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Yes, I know who RNH is and I have watched him play. He don't help the Habs become a better team. Why? Cause he drowns like Patch did last year. RNH is not a gritty center. He is a talented center. RNH is not the answer for the Habs. Rather keep Galchenyuk and not make a lateral move.

So you want David Backes, then?

RNH is better than any C or any player playing C that you have... to say he wouldn’t help is silly.

Last edited:
Reactions: ivanlwan

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009

So galy at 24 has tons of potential but RNH at 25 has none?

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Bluntly, RNH has had more success a the NHL level than Galchenyuk has. RNH plays center and has only a few games at wing. Will he be the answer we are looking for with McDavid? The few games Nuge has played with him so far would indicate we might have.

If Montreal fans think Galchenyuk holds more value that's fine. He does have a cheaper contract, so there is that.

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018

Looool, just gonna ignore that lateral move part (just LOL). You do realize the Oilers have Mcdavid, Draisitl and RNH that could all center the top two lines. I know center depth must be a foreign concept to you as a habs fan but news flash, Nuge is on the wing cause there’s only two center spots and we have 3 quality centers. Math must be hard for you too I guess.

And by your logic in another post where “if RNH is an impact center then he would center the #2 line.” Okay throw Drai on the wing and now you can say the same thing about Draisitl. See how dumb that logic is?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad