Proposal: Montreal and Edmonton

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Nuge is a better center and winger than Galchenyuk

Smaller sample size, but Nuge looks like a better winger than Galchenyuk. Add in the face that he can play C really well, and has chemistry with McDavid? Easy pass for Edmonton.

Lol there better be a fat plus coming the other way from MTL. Not even close.

Over the past 6 season

Alex Galchenyuk:
G 18
Pts 42.5
GP 69.7

4 playoff appearances

28GP 4 G 9 A

Ryan Nugent-hopkins
G 16.8
Pts 43.5
GP 65.8

1 post season appearance.
13 GP 0 G 4 A

Total time on ice.

Alex Galchenyuk

EV TOI 5,514:59
PP: 949:17
SH: 13:28

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

EV TOI: 6,059:40
PP: 988:07
SH: 527:49

Now, you can say the Oilers don't make this because they need Hopkins for his defensive aspect of his game, something everyone knows Galchenyuk doesn't bring before the stats.

There were more, but my guess is you just stated what you did because you don't actually watch that much of Montreal, or just think Hopkins is the sexier name here.

This, is indeed very close. Edmonton has been a joke of team for every year but 1 for Hopkins and Montreal's offense has been below average, or a joke of the league for every year for Galchenyuk except for one, he lockout year.

Players are rather close. Oilers should say no, but it's because they need a player like Hopkins and don't have anyone else to play that shutdown role. However, playing on McDavid's wing, it would seem his goal is now more to score goals.

Long story short, people are talking out of their asses like normal because it's hf. Players are actually close it's more of a preference.

Reactions: Habs Icing

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
The poster said RNH is a better winger than Galchenyuk. The only time RNH played wing was when he was on McDavids line.
And I responded by saying its easy to look better when playing with Mcdavid.
Im sure if Galchenyuk was playing with a legit number 1 center instead of Danault, Drouin or De la Rose, he would look much better.
I’m sure if Galchenyuk played center with Lucic and Caggiula like RNH did for the half the season, he’d look worse than he already does.

RNH is the better player. I fail to see how you are using his more important and harder position as a negative against him

Reactions: TFHockey

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
The poster said RNH is a better winger than Galchenyuk. The only time RNH played wing was when he was on McDavids line.
And I responded by saying its easy to look better when playing with Mcdavid.
Im sure if Galchenyuk was playing with a legit number 1 center instead of Danault, Drouin or De la Rose, he would look much better.

the implication with responses like the above is everyone's stats will go up playing alongside the superstar player but that's just not true. ask the guys like Lucic and Eberle how easy it wasn't to produce points just by playing alongside McDavid. o_O

Reactions: ivanlwan

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Over the past 6 season

Alex Galchenyuk:
G 18
Pts 42.5
GP 69.7

4 playoff appearances

28GP 4 G 9 A

Ryan Nugent-hopkins
G 16.8
Pts 43.5
GP 65.8

13 GP 0 G 4 A

Total time on ice.

Alex Galchenyuk

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

Now, you can say the Oilers don't make this because they need Hopkins for his defensive aspect of his game, something everyone knows Galchenyuk doesn't bring before the stats.

There were more, but my guess is you just stated what you did because you don't actually watch that much of Montreal, or just think Hopkins is the sexier name here.

This, is indeed very close. Edmonton has been a joke of team for every year but 1 for Hopkins and Montreal's offense has been below average, or a joke of the league for every year for Galchenyuk except for one, he lockout year.

Players are rather close. Oilers should say no, but it's because they need a player like Hopkins and don't have anyone else to play that shutdown role. However, playing on McDavid's wing, it would seem his goal is now more to score goals.

Long story short, people are talking out of their asses like normal because it's hf. Players are actually close it's more of a preference.

The difference between RNH and Galchenyuk is the versaitility and defensive play - and that RNH can actually play C. Production is fairly close but have a look at those SH minutes.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I’m sure if Galchenyuk played center with Lucic and Caggiula like RNH did for the half the season, he’d look worse than he already does.

RNH is the better player. I fail to see how you are using his more important and harder position as a negative against him

It’s in vogue right now. Players that can actually play more than one position effectively are somehow cast in a negative light.

Reactions: ivanlwan

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
the implication with responses like the above is everyone's stats will go up playing alongside the superstar player but that's just not true. ask the guys like Lucic and Eberle how easy it wasn't to produce points just by playing alongside McDavid. o_O

So you're telling me Galchenyuk's stats won't go up if his center switches from De la Rose to McDavid? :huh:

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
So you're telling me Galchenyuk's stats won't go up if his center switches from De la Rose to McDavid? :huh:
Yea like it didnt for Lucic or Eberle. Not everyone can play with Mcdavid, not that hard of a concept to grasp.

He might be able to but its not a simple guarantee of insert player x beside mcdavid and they become good

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Yea like it didnt for Lucic or Eberle. Not everyone can play with Mcdavid, not that hard of a concept to grasp.

He might be able to but its not a simple guarantee of insert player x beside mcdavid and they become good

It doesn't have to be McDavid. Galchenyuk never played with a legit number 1 center, so who knows how good of a winger he would be had he played with one.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
The difference between RNH and Galchenyuk is the versaitility and defensive play - and that RNH can actually play C. Production is fairly close but have a look at those SH minutes.

I honestly can't tell you if Galchenyuk can, or can't play centre because incompetent people never leave him there.

He's had stretches where he sucked and he's had stretches where he was at, or just above a PPG playing there. Neither stretch was really long (maybe 15 games) and that's not enough to make a judgement.

I know about the short handed time. I'm the one who posted it...

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I honestly can't tell you if Galchenyuk can, or can't play centre because incompetent people never leave him there.

He's had stretches where he sucked and he's had stretches where he was at, or just above a PPG playing there. Neither stretch was really long (maybe 15 games) and that's not enough to make a judgement.

I know about the short handed time. I'm the one who posted it...

I know you are. Im just saying you can’t just glance at that chart and say ‘yep production is pretty close it’s a pickem’ and not recognize everything else that RNH does in addition to putting up points, including killing penalties and taking more difficult zonestarts and assignments.

It’s not like RNH will magically stop being defensively responsible and more versatile simply by virtue of the fact that he’s getting some gravy time now.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Over the past 6 season

Alex Galchenyuk:
G 18
Pts 42.5
GP 69.7

4 playoff appearances

28GP 4 G 9 A

Ryan Nugent-hopkins
G 16.8
Pts 43.5
GP 65.8

13 GP 0 G 4 A

Total time on ice.

Alex Galchenyuk

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

The two players may have similar total production, but they're careers are going in opposite directions. Besides that, RNH is a natural center, which is worth more than a natural winger whose career is floundering.
Galchenyuk was -31 last year, yikes!

yababy

Jun 26, 2015

It's not conclusive. Hall and Lucic production didn't go up. Why take a good fit in RNH and trade for a question mark?

Reactions: Dan Kelly

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
The two players may have similar total production, but they're careers are going in opposite directions. Besides that, RNH is a natural center, which is worth more than a natural winger whose career is floundering.
Galchenyuk was -31 last year, yikes!

Yea right...

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
RNH just had his best season to date, Galchenyuk just had his worst. No debating those facts

Rubish. Why do you bring rnh now. You talked about Galchenyuk being a floundering winger which is ridiculous considering his age and situation.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I’d offer something around 10th and Galchenyuk +. RNH would be a no-go.

+ is definetly too much. There's a drop from 9 to 10 imo. If it wasn't for the lack of center in the draft the finish guy would probably not be hyped as much.

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
Over the past 6 season

Alex Galchenyuk:
G 18
Pts 42.5
GP 69.7

4 playoff appearances

28GP 4 G 9 A

Ryan Nugent-hopkins
G 16.8
Pts 43.5
GP 65.8

13 GP 0 G 4 A

Total time on ice.

Alex Galchenyuk

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

I wouldn’t say RNH is the sexier name or a sexy name at all. I think most Oiler fans would agree with that. Personally, I think it’s not close cause Nuge is a center, plays all situations and still produces more than Galchenyuk. Regardless whether we have that shutdown player or not, I wouldn’t trade Nuge for a player like Galchenyuk. RNH offers that same offense and then some.. value-wise it’s not close.

Can you even name any reasons for the Oilers to make this trade?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jamin

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
It doesn't have to be McDavid. Galchenyuk never played with a legit number 1 center, so who knows how good of a winger he would be had he played with one.

True. And from an Oilers perspective who cares!?
We do know how good Rnh can be and that is very good. Plus he is good at center. And is good in his own end. Why would we even consider Rnh for Gally

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Why trade Hopkins for a player that isn't as good of a center or winger than he is?
Oh wait... that's what we're supposed to do since we've somehow got a GM as bad as Mike Milbury, right?

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad