Monthly News Thread (August/2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
i know. thats the problem. we're arguing what "megastar" means.
to me Tom Brady, Wayne Gretzky, Lionel Messi, that basketball toronto dude that you want a statue in Toronto, that people threw a f*** ton of money, are megastars in their sports.
just like Moxley is in his art/sport whatever.

and like we're literally arguing the same thing over and over lol.

i dont agree with sabremike saying WWE guys wouldnt draw elsewhere. of course they would easily sell out 2k.
but Moxley is a megastar today. it might not last but he is "the man" right now.

edit: also dont agree that hes having great matches. but what hes doing is putting eyes on njpw and aew.
while selling a shit tons of tshirts.

more than the big names in those companies

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
He is drawing money in Japan. He is drawing money on indies. He is drawing money in AEW. He is having great matches and right now is among the handfull of most compelling and interesting characters in the entire industry. I'd consider it fair to call the guy a megastar. If you disagree fine, I just find the whole "stupid Dave" stuff that I've seen far far too much of today to be ridiculous.
Not everything is about Dave. Forget Dave lol.

I just find it asinine that we can call someone who’s selling out 2k indies a “‘megastar.” AEW sold out two shows previously (one not under the AEW name) without Moxley.

There’s no denying there’s crazy buzz around him right now and he’s the hottest star in wrestling, but again, there’s no crossover appeal. He’s just someone wildly popular in a very loyal niche. He’s a very popular pro wrestler.

We’re also not even totally sure how much money he’s drawing in Japan until we get numbers like we did with Jericho. He may not be doing as well as a draw there as Jericho for all we know, and that would kill the entire argument.

Reactions: HandsomeHollywood

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
One could argue that Moxley being considered a mega star in wrestling is more of a reflection on the state of the wrestling industry than anything else.

While due to TV deals and such the money for the wrestlers is bigger than it has been in years, the reality is there have never been fewer eyes watching wrestling than there are in 2019, and every year the industry seemingly keeps topping itself in that regard.

I can't speak for CMLL & AAA cause I don't follow, but NJPW are the only promotion* that have made gains in that regard, but even they have taken steps back in regards to what they want most (IE western expansion)

*AEW we will see once they get going and establish themselves

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
One could argue that Moxley being considered a mega star in wrestling is more of a reflection on the state of the wrestling industry than anything else.

While due to TV deals and such the money for the wrestlers is bigger than it has been in years, the reality is there have never been fewer eyes watching wrestling than there are in 2019, and every year the industry seemingly keeps topping itself in that regard.

I can't speak for CMLL & AAA cause I don't follow, but NJPW are the only promotion* that have made gains in that regard, but even they have taken steps back in regards to what they want most (IE western expansion)

*AEW we will see once they get going and establish themselves
Yeah I can see. Wrestling is in a super weird state where it’s seen a resurgence in a sense, but it’s mostly just hardcore fans supporting the niche/art and supporting more shows and promotions rather than just WWE, allowing people to make a living on the indies now while networks constantly throw money at WWE despite the on-air programming being pretty bad.

Wrestling hasn’t really gained any new fans.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Not everything is about Dave. Forget Dave lol.

I just find it asinine that we can call someone who’s selling out 2k indies a “‘megastar.” AEW sold out two shows previously (one not under the AEW name) without Moxley.

There’s no denying there’s crazy buzz around him right now and he’s the hottest star in wrestling, but again, there’s no crossover appeal. He’s just someone wildly popular in a very loyal niche. He’s a very popular pro wrestler.

We’re also not even totally sure how much money he’s drawing in Japan until we get numbers like we did with Jericho. He may not be doing as well as a draw there as Jericho for all we know, and that would kill the entire argument.
I'm really not wanting a heated argument but when you use the thing about the indie show as a meme to point and laugh at when numerous other things have been brought up you are being somewhat disingenuous. I'll put it this way: you know those ROH shows at 5k venues that are dying at the box office? If Mox got added to one does anyone doubt they'd pack the place (and ROH is probably the worst promotion of any significance in North America at this point)?

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
hes totally talking about wrestling only and not the rest as you keep bringing up.
its dumb to argue

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Yeah I can see. Wrestling is in a super weird state where it’s seen a resurgence in a sense, but it’s mostly just hardcore fans supporting the niche/art and supporting more shows and promotions rather than just WWE, allowing people to make a living on the indies now while networks constantly throw money at WWE despite the on-air programming being pretty bad.

Wrestling hasn’t really gained any new fans.
But in many ways that is true of entertainment and pop culture in general. Everything is geared towards extreme narrowcasting with people super interested in something as opposed to drawing the masses.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I'm really not wanting a heated argument but when you use the thing about the indie show as a meme to point and laugh at when numerous other things have been brought up you are being somewhat disingenuous. I'll put it this way: you know those ROH shows at 5k venues that are dying at the box office? If Mox got added to one does anyone doubt they'd pack the place (and ROH is probably the worst promotion of any significance in North America at this point)?
No, but you can say the same thing if Seth, AJ, Bryan, Balor, etc., left WWE and were added to a show. Moxley has the buzz but I genuinely believe plenty can do what he’s done, possibly even better (all guys I mentioned are better in the ring than Mox imo) and then people would be calling them megastars too and we’d be right back here (although Bryan genuinely had a chance at the crossover appeal at the peak of his popularity).

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I guess "megastar" in wrestling is like number 1 defenceman in hockey. There are 31 of them or so, and they vary significantly in significance and impact. Moxley is being vastly overrated in terms of popularity or relevance, and it seems like the popularity of wrestling as a whole is as well. If "megastar" (a very silly term to begin with) is supposed to be something above a superstar, which is above a star, which is above just being a well known wrestler, then it's not Moxley. A hardcore and very loud (online anyway) audience is big on Moxley right now and that's nice, but it's not a particularly big audience relative to other entertainment or even where wrestling has been in living memory.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

TomP24684

Je m’appelle Tom
May 18, 2019
people just blowing the whole thing away.
waiting for the advance stats graphic of whats a superstar compared to a megastar.
Well. Even if one of them sells a lot more shirts and brings in a lot more viewers, there is probably someone out there who produces less product, cannot be counted on to make all his shows, yet is still argued to be way better than the one showing up for work all year and killing it.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Shorty G? What the ****? :laugh:

BouncyAgonizingCrocodileskink-small.gif

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, Batista's really after carving out a niche for himself post wrestling. I think he's more successful than Cena.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
Yeah, Batista's really after carving out a niche for himself post wrestling. I think he's more successful than Cena.

Cena does good morning america and Ellen and SNL, hosts tv shows too..... he's way more known than Batista in the USA im sure.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Cena does good morning america and Ellen and SNL, hosts tv shows too..... he's way more known than Batista in the USA im sure.
Batista’s done Good Morning America, Kimmel, etc too... he’s killing it. His roles in GOTG among his other movies now have given him huge clout and notoriety.

I wouldn’t say he’s “way” more known than Batista these days, but he’s probably still more known.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
Yeah Batista is guests on shows to promote movies. John flat out hosts the shows some times when they’re not available.

I’m not taking anything away from batista. I’m just saying without any proof that I believe John Cena is known more

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
going back to themes, I loved Bret's theme in WWE. WCW was the home of the terrible awful themes and boring generic themes. But Bret's WCW theme song really worked for him and was a nice change from his WWE theme.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad