Montador's family suing NHL over concussions

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Are you sure? Canada seems to love it just as much...let's not act innocent here.

For a long time, fighting was always used as the excuse as to why hockey would never be very big in the US.

Pretty much all this.

When Gretzky was a King and trying to sell the NHL in the US getting rid of fighting was almost his #1 agenda.

He did back off a bit years later however.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Staged fights between Dorsetts and Prusts should be taken out of the game, straight up. Having your classic Lecavalier vs Iginla in the Cup Finals is a part of hockey and it would suck if that was gone.

Don't know how you would accomplish that though. Maybe put some sort of a cap on how many times a player/team can fight? (that would not go over well...) :help:

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
Staged fights between Dorsetts and Prusts should be taken out of the game, straight up. Having your classic Lecavalier vs Iginla in the Cup Finals is a part of hockey and it would suck if that was gone.

Don't know how you would accomplish that though. Maybe put some sort of a cap on how many times a player/team can fight? (that would not go over well...) :help:

Supplemental discipline for fights the league considers to be staged? It might be hard to draw a definite line between staged and non-staged though... and trusting the DoPS to handle something like this appropriately is probably asking a lot.

Regardless, couldn't agree more. Fights between guys like Iginla and Kesler borne out of pure emotion are awesome and I hope they always have a place in the game. Watching two guys who get paid to engage in boxing matches on ice that have no effect on the actual game is absurdly pointless. It serves no purpose than to turn their brains to mush.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
You can get concussions playing full contact sports? Who knew? :laugh:

And yet if you asked most, they'd do it knowing full well the consequences of playing the sport....but I'm sure Montador is the only one who wouldn't have chosen the career path if he knew the consequences. :shakehead

This is such ********. They didn't know a large amount of the concequences until the last 10 years, well into Montador's NHL career. And they STILL don't know the full affects of CTE and other brain trauma issues involved in playing 20 years of a fast-paced full contact sport.

So say crap like you did above is disingenuous and disrespectful to the deceased that is the topic of this thread, and the several others that have suffered a similar fate. This kind of ignorance is what is holding back the advancement of safety in the game we all love, but don't want to see people die from.

Toxic0n

We are all mumps
Dec 10, 2008
Tank nation
:laugh: Funny how fast opinions change. Now it's just "pandering to Americans" but yet I see Canadian arenas (Vancouver included) pretty damn excited when a fight breaks out, but lets not ruin some people's agendas now. :popcorn:

There is definitely a part of me that likes a good spontaneous fight like Iginla vs Kesler, and I did cheer whenever Kassian was loose looking for blood...but seeing Dorsett and Prust in the pointless, staged fights just makes me cringe. Hate it.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
This is such ********. They didn't know a large amount of the concequences until the last 10 years, well into Montador's NHL career. And they STILL don't know the full affects of CTE and other brain trauma issues involved in playing 20 years of a fast-paced full contact sport.

So say crap like you did above is disingenuous and disrespectful to the deceased that is the topic of this thread, and the several others that have suffered a similar fate. This kind of ignorance is what is holding back the advancement of safety in the game we all love, but don't want to see people die from.

Yeah, absolutely spot on.

If the league knew about the dangers of concussions and chose not to educate their players, I don't know how anyone can defend them. It's like a construction company not properly training their employees for dangerous tasks in fear that they'll exercise their right to turn down unsafe work. I don't care how much money they're offering them; everyone deserves to know what they're getting themselves in to.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas

Really? Didn't know the dangers? Just had to look at boxing and football to understand the dangers of head injuries in sports. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to understand that repeated blows to the head are kinda bad. Steve Montador isn't the first casualty of head injury in sports, or in hockey.

Disingenuous and disrespectful? How does the earth look from up there on your soapbox? Must be nice breathing all that nice clean and righteous air. :laugh:

You do understand that the league has a partner in their business, right? The NHLPA, if they were so concerned about their membership, you'd think creating a safe environment for them to play would be their most primary concern....yet whenever there was a work stoppage it was always about revenue, not player safety. Has the NHLPA ever even suggested removing fighting from the game? Nope.

The NHL has understood that head injuries were a problem several years before Steve Montador ever played an NHL game...if players couldn't see that head injuries could have a serious effect on players after guys like Brett Lindros, Pat Lafontaine and others are forced to retire due to concussions, what more do they need? Do boxers need to be warned that head injuries could end up killing them? Do you think they don't understand? Do you think that being told by one of boxing's appointed doctors will stop them from pursuing that career field if they think it will make them rich and famous? Riiight. :laugh:

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
The fight between Iginla and Lecavallier was over a decade ago. The status quo isn't manufacturing enough of those sorts of fights enough to justify it.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Really? Didn't know the dangers? Just had to look at boxing and football to understand the dangers of head injuries in sports. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to understand that repeated blows to the head are kinda bad. Steve Montador isn't the first casualty of head injury in sports, or in hockey.

Disingenuous and disrespectful? How does the earth look from up there on your soapbox? Must be nice breathing all that nice clean and righteous air. :laugh:

You do understand that the league has a partner in their business, right? The NHLPA, if they were so concerned about their membership, you'd think creating a safe environment for them to play would be their most primary concern....yet whenever there was a work stoppage it was always about revenue, not player safety. Has the NHLPA ever even suggested removing fighting from the game? Nope.

The NHL has understood that head injuries were a problem several years before Steve Montador ever played an NHL game...if players couldn't see that head injuries could have a serious effect on players after guys like Brett Lindros, Pat Lafontaine and others are forced to retire due to concussions, what more do they need? Do boxers need to be warned that head injuries could end up killing them? Do you think they don't understand? Do you think that being told by one of boxing's appointed doctors will stop them from pursuing that career field if they think it will make them rich and famous? Riiight. :laugh:
What you don't seem to understand is that there is a difference between knowing that you might have to retire if you suffer from concussions too often, and the affects of CTE. CTE isn't that simply, it's about continuous head trauma over a long period of time that adds up to severe long term damage. The term CTE didn't exist when Montador started his NHL career. I might be wrong, but I don't think anyone NHL player had ever dies as the results on continuous head trauma contained within the game.

So if you just want to sit there and makes jokes with a laughing emoticon, go ahead. That doesn't make the issues of PEOPLE DYING as a result from what happens on the ice during NHL hockey games any less serious.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
What you don't seem to understand is that there is a difference between knowing that you might have to retire if you suffer from concussions too often, and the affects of CTE. CTE isn't that simply, it's about continuous head trauma over a long period of time that adds up to severe long term damage. The term CTE didn't exist when Montador started his NHL career. I might be wrong, but I don't think anyone NHL player had ever dies as the results on continuous head trauma contained within the game.

So if you just want to sit there and makes jokes with a laughing emoticon, go ahead. That doesn't make the issues of PEOPLE DYING as a result from what happens on the ice during NHL hockey games any less serious.

What you don't seem to understand is...who gives a **** if CTE wasn't a widely used term, or completely understood, it's STILL not completely understood...repetitive head injuries and their dangers were well known for years before Steve Montador even played an NHL game...he even had concussions before he even played in the NHL...So to blame the NHL for this is an absolute joke and an attempted cash grab by Montador's family IMO...that and your nonsense is the reason for laughter, not because I don't care about concussions, or people dying from them.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
http://www.thespec.com/sports-story...letter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nhl

Hope they make them pay - and the league finally gets rid of fighting. Its moronic that its allowed. Panders to the bloody US fan base, and the NHL hasn't had the guts to deal with it. I have coached, reffed, watched and played hockey for a long time. I started advocating against fighting in the early 70's.

I could go on and on ...

(and i realize that fighting is not the only cause of brain injuries, but its an unnecessary one).

Edit 2 - good story from Chi. http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...ncussions-haugh-spt-0222-20150221-column.html

Just want to make my position clear:

I understand that Montador's condition may have nothing to do with fighting.

I agree that the NHL has been better about trying to reduce the damage from concussions compared to the NFL (reading League of denial right now).

Polls that were reported in the news 30 or 40 years ago stated that 80 % of American fans wanted to keep fighting,vs about half in Canada. That may have changed, haven't seen a recent poll.

Regardless, some players make a career out of fighting (or used to). I want this disgusting aspect of hockey gone. It isn't allowed in any other Pro league outside of N America, or the Olympics, or World championships.

What other sport allows the players to "police" the game? Are the refs not competent to handle this?

And I hate seeing a clean hit end up in a goon fest. Dirty hits should result in suspensions and fines, not a fight to see who was right.

And as I said originally - it results in unnecessary injuries, many of them concussions.

Edit 1 - Ok found a study from a US rag that says in the US its still 80 - 20 (http://www.latinpost.com/articles/2...ional-hockey-league-ban-fighting-poll.htm[/B] )

I didn't realize the fighting in hockey was only cheered on by those blood thirsty Americans living south of the 49th parallel. And a poll from the latinpost.com as evidence? Hmmm, it seems like I've seen Don Cherry promote a fight or two on Hockey Night in Canada.

Seriously though I think fighting in hockey will be taken out of the game for good in the very near future and while I stand and and get excited to watch when a fight breaks out at a game if it were to be eliminated I won't miss it one bit. I'd rather see more skill players on the ice than some so called enforcer any day. I've been waiting for this type of lawsuit to happen knowing it was only a matter of time and lawsuits like this will be the final straw that removes fighting from the game. When the NHL makes fighting part of it's marketing (and it does) and gives the combatants just a 5 minute penalty they open themselves to liability for concussion lawsuits.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
There is definitely a part of me that likes a good spontaneous fight like Iginla vs Kesler, and I did cheer whenever Kassian was loose looking for blood...but seeing Dorsett and Prust in the pointless, staged fights just makes me cringe. Hate it.

Agreed.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
1 - yes they can, they do it in every other hockey league. With no problem.

And the fact that its popular is completely missing the point. We have injured and dead players because the league condones this primitive idiocy.

And personally I would be fine with some thing like the following:

Instigator is 2 minutes and a game + plus sit a game.

No instigator - it is staged, both get a game. (if its in the last 10 minutes they both get an additional game)

If its retaliation, I am fine with both getting just getting 5 minute majors, as long as a major penalty is called on one team for the original incident. (and no equalling out penalties).

If it retaliation for a minor penalty, The instigator get 2 minutes and the rest of the game (no additional game suspension.)

There should be no way for the refs to duck their obligation and even things out.

Edit - by the way, have you ever played hockey, or just watched it?

The NHL doesn't seem to be very capable. Are you not aware of the suspension history the NHL has? Or lack therefore? The NHL is incompetent as is, let alone having them dictate how the game will be played with no fighting - I'm not even saying keep fighting in the game either. Prust was fined...fined, for spearing another player where he shouldn't have. Yet here you are, telling me the NHL can control the players and the game...good luck with that. If it only costs that much to spear someone, and maybe get a game or two, the Sestito's will be back in no time.

And no I have never played hockey and in fact, I hardly ever watch hockey. What even is hockey?

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
This is a very tricky issue for me, with many issues inside it.

I agree and love the fights like Iggy vs Vinny or Kesler, the ones born from passion.

I have not liked the staged fights since really the old Gino days when I was young and didn't know as much.

Fighting is not the only issue at hand, and really not the most important. It should be what did the NHL know and when, what are the prevention put in place and when, how has the protocols helped or not, and what can we do to help.

It is a game where injuries can happen, we need to know how and when to proceed with these injuries.

That is just the tip of the iceberg as well. Its very complicated and a black and white stance is probably wrong.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Fighting is already down in the NHL and will continue to drop further. There aren't 30 NHL teams that carry heavyweights anymore, and I'm not even sure if 15 NHL teams currently have a heavyweight on their roster anymore. You can thank Dorsett and Prust for being wasteful roster players and partaking in their 'fights' that are nothing but staged.

If the NHL just cracks down on staged fights, and really, it's not hard to pick staged fights from out of the crowd, then fighting will be at an all time low and near extinction.

I think the shoulders/elbows to the head are far more concerning then fighting at this point.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
This is a very tricky issue for me, with many issues inside it.

I agree and love the fights like Iggy vs Vinny or Kesler, the ones born from passion.

I have not liked the staged fights since really the old Gino days when I was young and didn't know as much.

Fighting is not the only issue at hand, and really not the most important. It should be what did the NHL know and when, what are the prevention put in place and when, how has the protocols helped or not, and what can we do to help.

It is a game where injuries can happen, we need to know how and when to proceed with these injuries.

That is just the tip of the iceberg as well. Its very complicated and a black and white stance is probably wrong.

But even if we like the fights born out of passion (which I do enjoy myself), why do we allow them? If there is a concern for a person's safety, shouldn't ALL fighting be removed? The fighting isn't necessary, no good to either player will come of it. Shouldn't our enjoyment come 2nd to a player's safety?

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Anyone going to see Concussion with Will Smith? The times are changing. CTE has gotten a big hollywod movie made about it.

I still remember the days when concussion injuries were reported like any other. "Mild concussion, out 1-2 weeks." "Major concussion, oùt 6 to 8 weeks." We know that concussions aren't that simple anymore.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Take out fighting and the game will become incredibly dirty and chippy. If the players want fighting in the game, which they do, then leave it in. The players opinions trump the concerned fans complaining

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Anyone going to see Concussion with Will Smith? The times are changing. CTE has gotten a big hollywod movie made about it.

I still remember the days when concussion injuries were reported like any other. "Mild concussion, out 1-2 weeks." "Major concussion, oùt 6 to 8 weeks." We know that concussions aren't that simple anymore.

The trailer looked pretty good from what I saw on TV - I want to see it, for sure. It will sure help bring a bit more awareness to the topic - which is great.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Many concussions have resulted from blindside hits and as we remember G Bettman was in charge when hits like the one on Naslund occurred and did nothing to prevent them in fact no discipline from the league resulted in condoning such.
Fighting surely has dangers as well but its not the only part of the problem .

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
What you don't seem to understand is...who gives a **** if CTE wasn't a widely used term, or completely understood, it's STILL not completely understood...repetitive head injuries and their dangers were well known for years before Steve Montador even played an NHL game...he even had concussions before he even played in the NHL...So to blame the NHL for this is an absolute joke and an attempted cash grab by Montador's family IMO...that and your nonsense is the reason for laughter, not because I don't care about concussions, or people dying from them.

So what your saying is, you don't believe there has been any gained knowledge about the affect of concussions from the time Montador enetered the NHL to the time he tragically died. What an incredibly stupid thing to believe.

How could this statement "repetitive head injuries and their dangers were well known for years before Steve Montador even played an NHL game" and "What you don't seem to understand is...who gives a **** if CTE wasn't a widely used term, or completely understood, it's STILL not completely understood" both be true? Either they were already know 20 years ago, or they're STILL not known. How can it be both?

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Take out fighting and the game will become incredibly dirty and chippy. If the players want fighting in the game, which they do, then leave it in. The players opinions trump the concerned fans complaining

But see, there are other motives than player safety for the players to want it. One would be the players that it's a reason why they are in the NHL want it, because otherwise they'd be out of a high paying job. Other players want it because they don't have to do it, so they'd rather have their teammates do it for them.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Many concussions have resulted from blindside hits and as we remember G Bettman was in charge when hits like the one on Naslund occurred and did nothing to prevent them in fact no discipline from the league resulted in condoning such.
Fighting surely has dangers as well but its not the only part of the problem .

At the time of the Naslund hit I remember arguing with my dad that it wasn't a penalty, but should be, he thought it should have been a penalty. And they did do something about it: they made hits to the head far more serious then they had been.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Everyone wants to get rid of the fighting except for people ACTUALLY PLAYING THE DAMN GAME! Fighting is being phased out naturally as it is. Let it happen that way. Or let the players decide if it stays. Also suing a league for allowing fighting that the player got into on his own accord is like suing a Province or State that doesn't have helmet laws after you crash your motorcycle and crack your head open. It's your own damn fault.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad