Proposal: Monster LEAFS trade Nylander/Freddie Andersen to Calgary

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Have you seen the Leafs defense? Not many goalies could put up the numbers Andersen does behind that tire fire. I think Rittich would crumble in Toronto.

Poor argument. Flames D has been very abysmal too. I personally don’t think the gap is that big but of course your fanbase argues against Rittich not being around as long as Andersen, which is fine but Rittich has solidified himself as Flames #1

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Poor argument. Flames D has been very abysmal too. I personally don’t think the gap is that big but of course your fanbase argues against Rittich not being around as long as Andersen, which is fine but Rittich has solidified himself as Flames #1

That's fine but goalies are notorious for having a good season or two and falling off the map. At least Andersen has a long track record of solid play.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Not a fan of either team but a fan who considerably enjoys mocking both.

Toronto fans who've been commenting should probably figure out who Lindholm. Here's an article from two years ago predicting Lindholm's ascent last season. It undervalued RoR a bit but then again RoR in Buffalo was less motivated

Comparing Ryan O’Reilly and Elias Lindholm as potential acquisitions for the Montreal Canadiens

Flames fans who think Rittich is better than Andersen are drastically overvaluing Rittich. Andersen is a great goalie who carries a flawed team at times. Leafs bleed high hanger shots, Andersen bails them out. Last year he was 10th in GSAA, Rittich was 32nd. This year he's 13th, Rittich is 30th. All signs point to Andersen being a great (tick below elite, top 10-15 seems about right to me though with his consistency of accept an argument for him being higher) whereas I'm not sure Rittich is a starting goalie and if he is, he would be a below average one.

This trade might be rediculous but the hot takes from both sides is worse.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Not a fan of either team but a fan who considerably enjoys mocking both.

Toronto fans who've been commenting should probably figure out who Lindholm. Here's an article from two years ago predicting Lindholm's ascent last season. It undervalued RoR a bit but then again RoR in Buffalo was less motivated

Comparing Ryan O’Reilly and Elias Lindholm as potential acquisitions for the Montreal Canadiens

Flames fans who think Rittich is better than Andersen are drastically overvaluing Rittich. Andersen is a great goalie who carries a flawed team at times. Leafs bleed high hanger shots, Andersen bails them out. Last year he was 10th in GSAA, Rittich was 32nd. This year he's 13th, Rittich is 30th. All signs point to Andersen being a great (tick below elite, top 10-15 seems about right to me though with his consistency of accept an argument for him being higher) whereas I'm not sure Rittich is a starting goalie and if he is, he would be a below average one.

This trade might be rediculous but the hot takes from both sides is worse.
God bless this post. I don't understand how people can't just dislike a trade and explain why, without resorting to "Rittich would be trash in Toronto" or "Nylander is so over paid there's no reason we'd want him." Let's just acknowledge that the deal doesn't make sense for either team and keep away from calling everyone shit.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
God bless this post. I don't understand how people can't just dislike a trade and explain why, without resorting to "Rittich would be trash in Toronto" or "Nylander is so over paid there's no reason we'd want him." Let's just acknowledge that the deal doesn't make sense for either team and keep away from calling everyone ****.

Well don't you know, my players are amazing and here's a bunch of abstract stats to show it. All other team's players are a hot pile of garbage. It's just bad management and coaching that results in my players not being seen as elite. Every thread.

I hate Toronto (not literally) but I'd take Nylander and Andersen on my team in a heartbeat. I dislike Calgary, I'd sell my left nut for Lindholm and id be okay taking Rittich. Hamonic is another part of that trade that is love but no fit but if there was a need, he'd be a great fit.

The trade solves the needs of both teams but the price destroys both. Calgary gives up two pieces that absolutely makes them a tough team to play against when that's one area they struggle in and Toronto gives up goaltending when that's a serious need to them that Andersen fills quite well. You are right, it doesn't make sense but I like that the OP at least tried to fill needs.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Based on what? You’re making assumptions

Do you have any source of underlying metrics to suggest that Rittich is above weak starter/ strong backup and that Andersen is below the above average starter class that everyone and their numbers say they are?

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I’d much rather have Lindholm than Nylander on my team. A trade like this would make the Flames much easier to play against.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Do you have any source of underlying metrics to suggest that Rittich is above weak starter/ strong backup and that Andersen is below the above average starter class that everyone and their numbers say they are?

You showed one stat in your post. Good job.

Have you watched him play? More than a few games? Doubt it.

Rittich as a weak starter is complete bullshit

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018

Rittich as a weak starter is complete bull****

Absolutely have. Watched both play. Calgary is typically the late game I watch.

Really curious where Rittich not being what he is comes from, I haven't seen it and stats clearly don't show he is. Perhaps watching without homer glasses would suit you because though I only brought up one stat, the rest clearly show him to be somewhere between the 25-35th best goalie in the NHL right now.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018

Rittich as a weak starter is complete bull****

He's not top 50 for high danger or low danger save percent. He's not top 20 in medium danger either. I'm looking hard and I'm not finding the stats that support you.

lucaseider

Apr 15, 2006
mactown
Seeing a theme today. Leafs changed coaching and fans are seeing the Leafs have potential to go on a win streak and make the playoffs. Trying to get good players for cheap before people realize maybe the players are good after all.

please tell us how this is at all "cheap". honestly people need to actually watch rasmus before spewing crap. very young, right shot, and already looks fine when he plays top minutes.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Absolutely have. Watched both play. Calgary is typically the late game I watch.

Really curious where Rittich not being what he is comes from, I haven't seen it and stats clearly don't show he is. Perhaps watching without homer glasses would suit you because though I only brought up one stat, the rest clearly show him to be somewhere between the 25-35th best goalie in the NHL right now.

Rittich is not a weak starter. I’ll leave it at that. The flames finally have a reliable starting goaltender. The world doesn’t revolve around the leafs by the way.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Rittich is not a weak starter. I’ll leave it at that. The flames finally have a reliable starting goaltender. The world doesn’t revolve around the leafs by the way.

I'm a leafs hater not a leafs fan, the Leafs don't own my world. I can look at both goalies objectively and see that the stats support my opinions on them.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Toronto and Calgary should make this trade:

Toronto_Maple_Leafs.gif
Doug Gilmour
Jamie Macoun
Kent Manderville
Ric Nattress
Rick Wamsley
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
January 2, 1992
Craig Berube
Alexander Godynyuk
Gary Leeman
Michel Petit
Jeff Reese
Calgary_Flames.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: dukeofjive

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Meh, his contract isn’t that bad. We’re talking about a 23 year old who’s had 60 pts in every full season he’s played.

His value was hurt because of last year when he came back out of shape and slumped hard after missing half a season, but he’s on track for 60pts again and has shown versatility in that he’s an adequate center and great complementary winger with room to grow that’s signed through 2023-2024.

I’d rather have him than someone like Hayes who just got more in free agency.
I much rather have Hayes than Nylander. Nylander would need to outscore Hayes by 20 points at least to have equal value. Hayes does many things great outside of scoring and has almost every other advantage.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Calgary hangs up, We're not trading RA, and Lindhom is better then Nylander. Rittich is fine as a goaltender, Anderson doesn't bring that much more to the table for the contract size.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
So Calgary is losing the better forward, Lindholm, losing the better d-man, Andersson, and are BARELY upgrading in net.

I've seen some bad proposals in my day, but this about the absolute dirt worst I have ever seen. Just horrendous on so many levels.

Reactions: dukeofjive and CF84

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad