Monika Caryk has filed a Norwich Order application with the Ontario Superior Court of Justice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
So you are basically saying Hoffman was sleeping whit Mrs. Curry-Karlsson while Erik Karlsson was away on longtime missions whit team Sweden, like the olympics and such? She is a beauty, it wouldnt suprise me if so

I dont know what happened. All I am saying is there seems to be a lot going on, and a lot we dont know about. Perhaps nefarious behaviour is in play?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
This is ridiculous. If you don't have even the slightest idea how the criminal justice system and lawsuits work, I would suggest you not speak on the topic. This is standard procedure, nothing more. She's essentially asking for evidence so her lawyers can look into it and build their own case. What if there are twitter or Instagram DMs from a very specific time and maybe even location and Caryk can prove she was not able to make the posts at that time? Do you really expect Caryk and her lawyers to walk into court and get blindsided with evidence they don't even have the time to look into?

have the police charged her? or is it under investigation. She wants to speed things up to force the legal system to move quicker and maybe over look some details

I have used this position twice in my life--once in Vancouver and once here in London--force the crown prosecutor to move quicker then they wanted to do. It is a common thing for people to do. There are a lot of people to interview and since the people the police may talk to are on vacation or not in the Ottawa area--that could be a problem--

She wants it to move quicker along so that the police wont be in the position to talk to sens players and wives who are scattered around the globe right now and wont be back in the jurisdiction util late September.

One thing I am waiting to see if is true was the allegation that she posted stuff while in New York City(I think it was NYC) if she did--that will bring the US guys into it--if so--that is the last thing she would want

Reactions: StoneHands

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
I am confused, who is she planning to sue? The real perpetrator? What is Monika's cause of action against the real perpetrator? What information would Melinda have that would aide in this lawsuit that Monika wants disclosed? (If Monika knew who it really was, wouldn't she have just pursued that person? If she doesn't know who it is what information could she give to Monika that would help? Wouldn't a Norwhich Order for Instagram / ISPs make more sense?)

From a cursory view, unless I am missing something, I don't think she is getting a Norwich Order.

Legally, I’m not sure how it will work out for her but, if she had nothing to do with this, I’d take every step needed to clear my name if I was her.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
have the police charged her? or is it under investigation. She wants to speed things up to force the legal system to move quicker and maybe over look some details

I have used this position twice in my life--once in Vancouver and once here in London--force the crown prosecutor to move quicker then they wanted to do. It is a common thing for people to do. There are a lot of people to interview and since the people the police may talk to are on vacation or not in the Ottawa area--that could be a problem--

She wants it to move quicker along so that the police wont be in the position to talk to sens players and wives who are scattered around the globe right now and wont be back in the jurisdiction util late September.

One thing I am waiting to see if is true was the allegation that she posted stuff while in New York City(I think it was NYC) if she did--that will bring the US guys into it--if so--that is the last thing she would want

People do have cell phones these days. It’s not hard to pick up a phone and do a phone interview until a face to face can be done, if needed.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
She likely filed it because everytime Hoffman posts on Twitter there are trolls "have you dumped her yet"

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Man I don't know why Hoffman is sticking with this chick if everything that's being reported is actually accurate.

She's going to destroy your career man..

there is nothing being reported, its all accusations. I would be surprised that she would take this step under legal guidance if she wasn't fully confident in her innocense.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
So if we're wondering what the motive for the Norwich Order is, apart from clearing up her name, and if Norwich Orders typically precede lawsuits... could Caryk be setting up to file a suit for libel or slander, citing that it cost her home, her husband's job, her job, and both their future earning potentials?

I mean if she's innocent... and it's not hard to prove Hoffman was traded away for pennies on the dollar, their family was uprooted, they were shipped to a foreign country, and their reputations were badly damaged... and the people that were the cause of this undue strife were extremely rich people (or soon to be)... would you not "lawyer up"?

I am curious about the same. I am not familiar with the defamation laws in Canada, but I wonder if seeking the Norwich Order is a strategic ploy to evaluate and prepare a defamation claim. I am not sure what the damages would actually be in this case, as Hoffman seemingly has not lost his salary to date and trades/relocations are common among NHL players.

Reactions: Tweed

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
I am curious about the same. I am not familiar with the defamation laws in Canada, but I wonder if seeking the Norwich Order is a strategic ploy to evaluate and prepare a defamation claim. I am not sure what the damages would actually be in this case, as Hoffman seemingly has not lost his salary to date and trades/relocations are common among NHL players.

I agree with you, but if I'm playing Devil's Advocate, I'm sure a lawyer can argue it the other way. His earning potential is affected by his performance which is also affected by his team. You can make an argument that the Sens were bloody good before all this defamation stuff. Now he finds himself on a fringe team in a non-traditional hockey market. I also think it'd be pretty easy to argue that he was traded to accommodate the defendant, and not as a part of routine sound hockey business decisions. He was literally jettisoned (hence why everybody criticizes Dorion for that trade and its lack of value in the return).

I'm not a lawyer obviously, but in my ignorance, that's how I imagine they would try to play that hand.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

It's a protection order, which the media somehow picked up on. There is no case for damages. If there were, Mrs. Caryk would have to go after the judge that ruled there was enough damning evidence to grant the order, and serve it to Mrs. Caryk.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
It's a protection order, which the media somehow picked up on. There is no case for damages. If there were, Mrs. Caryk would have to go after the judge that ruled there was enough damning evidence to grant the order, and serve it to Mrs. Caryk.

I was referencing damages as a potential element as to any subsequent defamation, not as seeking the order referenced above. I referenced seeking the order as a potential strategic ploy to flesh out and evaluate pursuing a defamation claim. I suppose that in the States (depending on which state) non-economic damages could be available.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
Legal Bullying is a term that dates back to the 1970's. Around the same time people started using "bury them in paper work".

You may or may not read beyond the sports pages--but you will find over the past 20 years people have been bullying people via the legal system for quite a long time. Many states have now stepped in to stop it. Some of the most famous cases are people convicted of crimes-suing their victims to harass them further

Without getting political--one of the things that came out awhile ago about Donald Trump was how he was sue people just to force them to use funds on a defence only to drop the cases right before the legal system said he would be libel for the lawyer fees.

More often then not they lawsuits or claims fall under the nuisance lawsuits umbrella. Both Harvard Law and Duke Uni have done research on Legal Bullying and how they have bee misconstrued as nuisance lawsuits.

It is not just individuals who do this, but several cities have used the legal system to against individuals who did not do what the city wanted them to so (usually in Eminent Domain situations) where the city wanted to skirt around using Eminent Domain because it is a slipper slope that can bite the cities in the butt)
I don’t read the papers at all really but I fail to see how filing an information request/motion is burying someone in paperwork.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
the one thing we can undervalue is the fact like in the Military--Scuttlebutt travels faster then regular news amongst their own. Even though there are 31 teams and over 600 players-- things behind the scenes travel fast.

Reactions: amethyst

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I know people at my own company that's not that big, who can barely remember x person's name from finance department in spite of having been in 2 meetings with them that very day. Yet, here we are discussing how Monika Caryk (a hockey girlfriend) most certainly knew who Taylor Winnik (i guess the wife of a 4th line nhler from a team in the opposite conference) was.

I'm going to go out and assume that those making this leap aren't exposed to normal people very often, and probably don't have significant others. My significant other only really knows 5% of what goes on/who works in my company and her uncle is one of the owners and a lot of her extended family work here. The mental leaps you are making are illogical. Until proven guilty we should not be jumping on either side.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Sure let's keep calling her crazy for trying to defend herself against allegations that no one has shown a lick of proof for. She's so crazy !!!!

BTW before anyone bring up the supposed "character witnesses" aka Melinda's friends, I can show you numerous tweets from friends of Monika who defended her character.
Can you please post them? I'm curious to see them and I'd also like to clear the air of the "everyone is backing Karlsson and not Caryk so he must be guilty" narritive.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
These kinds of assumptions are exactly why she should get her wish, though. What if she actually didn’t do it?

It would be a hell of a gamble for Caryk. If she really did do it, having been accused she could realistically expect Karlsson to have something on her. She would be better off leaving it a mystery than having people know for certain. There’s a real chance she’s innocent

On the other hand, maybe she thinks the judge or whoever won’t grant it. Then it could look more in her favor while still being a mystery. Idk what the chances are of this thing being granted.

I know!

Why are people so quick to judge when they only know half the story? It's insane, we the public don't have sufficient info to be judging ANYBODY at this point.

Is this what people would want for themselves or a loved one that was accused of something? Presumption of guilt based on who is associated with the better hockey player?

The public really is getting dumber, the scary part is they don't seem to care.

Reactions: amethyst

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I don’t read the papers at all really but I fail to see how filing an information request/motion is burying someone in paperwork.

just an example

in this case--my understanding she is under investigation and has not been charged. She wants to know just what they have to start taking a part parts of the argument without seeing the big picture and there for muddying the the situation.

She has not been charged but is under investigation--I did something similer a few years here in London when I was under investigation for something nowhere close to what she did--but by forcing the issue to have the crown council give me information the decision was made not to charge me because they lacked a key piece of evidence that I knew that they were never going to get.(what I did was not a big thing--it was a retaliatory strike that got carried away but annoyed someone who filed a police report on me bases upon what him and his friends had decided was the truth--not realising I was falling the orders of one of their fathers--it concerned the fact I was put in charge of season tickets for a football team and while the father supported the team--the son supported another team and he wanted me to give him home tickets for the games his team were the visitors--he father told me not)

For me looking at this situation--she is going to try to get the investigation over before training camps start and all the people are interviewed. Going off what was said on TSN 1200 when this first broke--all players and wives/girlfriends knew about what was going on and my guess the police will want to talk to them-right now they are scattered all over the globe--while they can give skype and phone interviews--the are not admissible in court(last time I checked) and all interviews need to be in person and stuff like that

Again--let me make one thing clear

She is under investigation and has not been charged: This to me is something that is key. My guess is the RCMP has interviewed her and she realises they have information that she did not know they had. This is usually when people try to get some information so they get contradictory information sooner then later. She wants to know who the RCMP talked to.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
just an example

in this case--my understanding she is under investigation and has not been charged. She wants to know just what they have to start taking a part parts of the argument without seeing the big picture and there for muddying the the situation.

She has not been charged but is under investigation--I did something similer a few years here in London when I was under investigation for something nowhere close to what she did--but by forcing the issue to have the crown council give me information the decision was made not to charge me because they lacked a key piece of evidence that I knew that they were never going to get.(what I did was not a big thing--it was a retaliatory strike that got carried away but annoyed someone who filed a police report on me bases upon what him and his friends had decided was the truth--not realising I was falling the orders of one of their fathers--it concerned the fact I was put in charge of season tickets for a football team and while the father supported the team--the son supported another team and he wanted me to give him home tickets for the games his team were the visitors--he father told me not)

For me looking at this situation--she is going to try to get the investigation over before training camps start and all the people are interviewed. Going off what was said on TSN 1200 when this first broke--all players and wives/girlfriends knew about what was going on and my guess the police will want to talk to them-right now they are scattered all over the globe--while they can give skype and phone interviews--the are not admissible in court(last time I checked) and all interviews need to be in person and stuff like that

Again--let me make one thing clear

She is under investigation and has not been charged: This to me is something that is key. My guess is the RCMP has interviewed her and she realises they have information that she did not know they had. This is usually when people try to get some information so they get contradictory information sooner then later. She wants to know who the RCMP talked to.

I thought the investigation found out, that she was the one behind the attacks.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
I know people at my own company that's not that big, who can barely remember x person's name from finance department in spite of having been in 2 meetings with them that very day. Yet, here we are discussing how Monika Caryk (a hockey girlfriend) most certainly knew who Taylor Winnik (i guess the wife of a 4th line nhler from a team in the opposite conference) was.

I'm going to go out and assume that those making this leap aren't exposed to normal people very often, and probably don't have significant others. My significant other only really knows 5% of what goes on/who works in my company and her uncle is one of the owners and a lot of her extended family work here. The mental leaps you are making are illogical. Until proven guilty we should not be jumping on either side.

Please don't bring reason into the discussion, it's obvious that Caryk is guilty we have all the evidence in front of us. /s

Reactions: sharkhawk

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Sure let's keep calling her crazy for trying to defend herself against allegations that no one has shown a lick of proof for. She's so crazy !!!!

BTW before anyone bring up the supposed "character witnesses" aka Melinda's friends, I can show you numerous tweets from friends of Monika who defended her character.
Yeah, I dont get a lot of the reactions in this thread.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Yeah, I dont get a lot of the reactions in this thread.

I said it before and I'll say it again it's crazy that posting about a signing from a fake insider is more likely to get deleted and the poster in hot water than posting about what someone says on twitter about a players SO. It's messed up.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
wow what a bunch of FTards , the order is an information request that won't be granted , the peace bond doesn't have to be served they are written against absentee people all the time they get served when the person turns up in the place they are forbidden to go , she has known about it for months but hasn't gone to the courts to get it overturned ? you don't need an information request you go in and demand an order overturning the original order simple , the courts then have to schedule a hearing and you get the evidence produced for the first order as a matter of disclosure for the second hearing . Also in Canada statements are only slander and liable if they are proven false , if she could prove it's not her she would have by now and she would already be involved in EK's new contract negotiations .This is theatre .

Reactions: Kid Dynamite
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad