Monika Caryk has filed a Norwich Order application with the Ontario Superior Court of Justice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Since social media is playing field for most of the harassment, it's going to take requests to both Facebook and/or Twitter to come up with the IDs of the account holders where the harassment came from. Getting that info will be a whole different animal.

That or trace back IP addresses of the harassing accounts and see if they match with Caryk's, assuming no VPN was used.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
That or trace back IP addresses of the harassing accounts and see if they match with Caryk's, assuming no VPN was used.

Your method would probably be quicker. FB and Twitter are not going to give up account info that easily. It’d take a court fight that could run months if not years and by then life would have moved onto the next thing.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
I know!

Why are people so quick to judge when they only know half the story? It's insane, we the public don't have sufficient info to be judging ANYBODY at this point.

Is this what people would want for themselves or a loved one that was accused of something? Presumption of guilt based on who is associated with the better hockey player?

The public really is getting dumber, the scary part is they don't seem to care.

So much this

The sad thing is there are a lot of people out there who should read the above and take a moment to absorb it, possibly have that moment of clarity

But the last sentence really is the most telling, most will just dismiss it and go on making judgements in the absence of hard facts

Reactions: amethyst

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Again--let me make one thing clear

She is under investigation and has not been charged: This to me is something that is key. My guess is the RCMP has interviewed her and she realises they have information that she did not know they had. This is usually when people try to get some information so they get contradictory information sooner then later. She wants to know who the RCMP talked to.

There is no criminal investigation when someone is applying for a protection order. The Karlsson's filed a protection order against Caryk. In court, the Judge ruled there was enough evidence to go ahead with the order, and serve it to Caryk. A protection order just means that Caryk is being legally warned not to contact the Karlsson's.

If Caryk deliberately breaks the protection order, she runs the risk of being charged (my guess would be contempt of court) with a criminal offense. That fact that the Karlsson's went with a P.O. instead of trying to charge Caryk with harassment (assuming there was enough evidence to do so), may indicate a desire to warn the person in question to leave them alone, without having the headache of making court appearances, if they were to try and bring any kind of criminal charges.

Source: Protection Orders – Part 3: A Basic Guide to Peace Bonds

This happens quite a bit in Canada, especially in regards to domestic incidents.

Last edited:
Reactions: RingoCalamity

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
One thing I find interesting in reading what is being reported by the medis--the gist I get is that Ms Caryk--in the 75 page statement--if the media is reports are correct--she has put into her statement "how did the Karlsson's know it was her doing it." The police are the ones who made the allegations not the Karlssons--the first statement we got was from the police--not the Karlsson's--some of the 75 pages are on line and it looks to me Caryk is trying to find out who the police have talked to and with an email from Winnik's wife (who plays for the wild-I think) she is putting out the position that she is the victim.

I would strongly suggest posters to go on line and read what is in her statement and what DIFFERENT media sources are reportting--there is alot of stuff in in the 75 page document--btw--that is a fairly long document for the subject on hand

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Turning the crazy dial from 11 to 12. I know she thinks this will make her look better, but really this is so obviously just burying herself alive. And the whole Ottawa Senators organization too I suppose.

On another note, this level of crazy and paranoia would make her a good fit with Melnyk actually. They can do investigations together!
If she actually is innocent this is exactly the right thing to do. So no, it isn't burying herself alive unless she is guilty and the Karlssons have the proof.

Albz

Jun 30, 2018
Theres lots more to this story... i wont judge any till proven guilty... just something seems fishy

Reactions: Elephanto

CalEh

Oct 28, 2017
Manhattan Beach, California
I agree with you, but if I'm playing Devil's Advocate, I'm sure a lawyer can argue it the other way. His earning potential is affected by his performance which is also affected by his team. You can make an argument that the Sens were bloody good before all this defamation stuff. Now he finds himself on a fringe team in a non-traditional hockey market. I also think it'd be pretty easy to argue that he was traded to accommodate the defendant, and not as a part of routine sound hockey business decisions. He was literally jettisoned (hence why everybody criticizes Dorion for that trade and its lack of value in the return).

I'm not a lawyer obviously, but in my ignorance, that's how I imagine they would try to play that hand.

It would be a very interesting case. To be fair, Hoffman actually makes more money now in Florida due to the lack of state income tax. Secondly, Florida is a better team than Ottawa.

That said, the court could definitely impose punitive damages if they so choose to. Essentially this means it's a punishment to teach them a lesson to "not do it again".

This would be a VERY difficult case to both prosecute and defend. I kind of hope it goes that way so I could follow it, as it would be fascinating.

Reactions: Tweed

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
The amount of people that accept FRIENDS of the accusers statements on twitter with no verifiable or tangible backup as evidence is shocking. Social Media is truly ruining the world. Its insanity.

If I assaulted you and you took out a restraining order against me but people who know me went on twitter and said "he's such a good guy, he would never do that", would you drop the order and admit that you must be misremembering?? God. Grow up, use your brain. Friends backing each other up on twitter is not evidence. It means absolutely nothing. Especially when its a bunch of girlfriends that have a tight bond and are defending a friend who went through something terrible.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
It would be a very interesting case. To be fair, Hoffman actually makes more money now in Florida due to the lack of state income tax. Secondly, Florida is a better team than Ottawa.

That said, the court could definitely impose punitive damages if they so choose to. Essentially this means it's a punishment to teach them a lesson to "not do it again".

This would be a VERY difficult case to both prosecute and defend. I kind of hope it goes that way so I could follow it, as it would be fascinating.

It could probably be shown that this drama started long before we heard about it. Things in Ottawa were lookin' super up, and they were even a final-4 team just a little over a year ago... and Florida wasn't even a playoff team.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Do you even understand the Canadian legal system? Monika Caryk will not be charged with anything. She is not under investigation as of today for anything. There is no criminal investigation when someone is applying for a protection order. The Karlsson's filed a protection order against Caryk. In court, the Judge ruled there was enough evidence to go ahead with the order, and serve it to Caryk. A protection order just means that Caryk is being legally warned not to contact the Karlsson's.

If Caryk deliberately breaks the protection order, she runs the risk of being charged (my guess would be contempt of court) with a criminal offense. That fact that the Karlsson's went with a P.O. instead of trying to charge Caryk with harassment (assuming there was enough evidence to do so), may indicate a desire to warn the person in question to leave them alone, without having the headache of making court appearances, if they were to try and bring any kind of criminal charges.

Source: Protection Orders – Part 3: A Basic Guide to Peace Bonds

This happens quite a bit in Canada, especially in regards to domestic incidents.
You claim judge saw enough evidence to serve Caryk with a protection order, which is false. The Karlssons filed for one, that is all that has happened.

You seem to buy everything said or posted that is against Caryk and spin everything into being against Caryk. Why is that? Why are you so vehemently going after Caryk, as if this was personal for you?

I am not saying who is guilty or innocent, as I don’t know since we have seen exactly zero evidence for either side of this, I just find your desperation to tilt against everyone not saying Caryk is guilty to be very odd.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
You claim judge saw enough evidence to serve Caryk with a protection order, which is false. The Karlssons filed for one, that is all that has happened.

Actually, it is true. A judge did hear evidence against Caryk that the Karlssons presented, and approved of the P.O. based on the evidence that Karlssons presented in court. This has been published in the Ottawa Citizen. Do you have any kind of source to dispute this?

Protection Orders are not delivered the next day. Usually it takes anywhere from a few days to over a month. It has to be served to Hoffman's residence, but if Hoffman/Caryk (assuming they are living together), are not at the residence when it is served to Caryk by an officer of the court, it would take a lot longer.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
How would she know Taylor winnik? Winnick never played for the senators. She was on that hockey wives show, but not everyone watches that crap. To me, the fact that someone who’s was on a reality show is making accusations against someone she’s never met makes me look sideyes at her

I find it ironic that the posters who are defending Caryk so vehemently, and trying to discredit the Karlssons and the individuals who have come out and taken their side, seem to accept anything Caryk says at face value. How do you know they have never met?

The way I see it is there are two main possibilities:

A) Caryk did harass the Karlssons, and is lying when she denies it.

B) The Karlssons, Winnik, Anderson, Turris, and a woman who went to college with her (6 people) are all lying and "railroading" Caryk.

I believe A.

Last edited:

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Actually, it is true. A judge did hear evidence against Caryk that the Karlssons presented, and approved of the P.O. based on the evidence that Karlssons presented in court. This has been published in the Ottawa Citizen. Do you ahve any kind of source to dispute this?

In Caryk’s court application, she said she has “never been served with the Peace Bond Application and have not been summoned before the Justice of the Peace for a hearing on whether a Peace Bond should be issued.” The document also said Caryk’s lawyer called Melinda Karlsson’s lawyer on June 21, asking him to provide or describe information the Karlssons had related to the allegations. The document says “he said he was instructed not to by his client.”

Mike Hoffman’s fiancée files for disclosure of information in harassment allegations

Reactions: Peanut

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
In Caryk’s court application, she said she has “never been served with the Peace Bond Application and have not been summoned before the Justice of the Peace for a hearing on whether a Peace Bond should be issued.” The document also said Caryk’s lawyer called Melinda Karlsson’s lawyer on June 21, asking him to provide or describe information the Karlssons had related to the allegations. The document says “he said he was instructed not to by his client.

The protection order was granted by an Ontario Court Judge. That essentially means that the Karlsson's provided enough evidence in a court of law to convince the court that there are reasonable grounds to believe Mrs.Karlsson is in fear of Mrs.Caryk, based on the evidence presented to court in regards to what harassment/threats received by Mrs.Karlsson. If the Judge concluded that the P.O. application was without merit, he would have never signed off on it.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
The protection order was granted by an Ontario Court Judge. That essentially means that the Karlsson's provided enough evidence in a court of law to convince the court that there are reasonable grounds to believe Mrs.Karlsson is in fear of Mrs.Caryk, based on the evidence presented to court in regards to what harassment/threats received by Mrs.Karlsson. If the Judge concluded that the P.O. application was without merit, he would have never signed off on it.
I provided a quote and the link to the article it came from and you provided...something with nothing to back it up. Exactly what is to be expected from you, on this topic.

Reactions: Peanut

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Whats interesting here is if the protection order was granted then why wasnt Caryk served with it?
Not 100% certain, but I believe that she has to be served with it, in person by a officer of the court. It's entirely possible she may be not at her residence, on vacation, visiting relatives, at the family cottage, etc.

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
I find it ironic that the posters who are defending Caryk so vehemently, and trying to discredit the Karlssons and the individuals who have come out and taken their side, seem to accept anything Caryk says at face value. How do you know they have never met?

The way I see it is there are two sides of the story:

A) Caryk did harass the Karlssons, and is lying when she denies it.

B) The Karlssons, Winnik, Anderson, Turris, and a woman who went to college with her (6 people) are all lying and "railroading" Caryk.

I believe A.

Seriously man, those are the only two possibilities you can conceive of? It's that black and white to you? I sure do hope you are never asked to do jury duty.

Oh, and please clarify the relationship between Winnik and Karlsson/Hoffman/Caryk. As far as I know she doesn't know any of them at all, but you must know more about this than I since you are citing her testimony.

Reactions: Chips

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Seriously man, those are the only two possibilities you can conceive of? It's that black and white to you? I sure do hope you are never asked to do jury duty.

Oh, and please clarify the relationship between Winnik and Karlsson/Hoffman/Caryk. As far as I know she doesn't know any of them at all, but you must know more about this than I since you are citing her testimony.
Sorry I did not realize I was on trial for having a difference of opinion. Shall I take an oath? :sarcasm:

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2017
I know!

Why are people so quick to judge when they only know half the story? It's insane, we the public don't have sufficient info to be judging ANYBODY at this point.

Is this what people would want for themselves or a loved one that was accused of something? Presumption of guilt based on who is associated with the better hockey player?

The public really is getting dumber, the scary part is they don't seem to care.
This is our new, orange world.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It's not like Hoff has ever had a stellar reputation. He has had off-ice issues since his junior days. He and the girlfriend were the subject of whispers around Ottawa years before this cyber bullying thing came out.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Whats interesting here is if the protection order was granted then why wasnt Caryk served with it?
Despite what EK’s biggest fan says in this thread as he argues with everyone, the Peach Bond was never granted. Read the article I linked on the previous page.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Despite what EK’s biggest fan says in this thread as he argues with everyone, the Peach Bond was never granted. Read the article I linked on the previous page.
[mod]

A protection order (peace bond) was filed by the Karlsson's, and signed off on by a Ontario judge. Peace bonds can take anywhere from a few days to months to be served. There is no set time for a peace bond to be served. It's entirely possible that either a court officer attempted to deliver a peace bond to Mrs Caryk while she was away, or perhaps the Ontario Courts have yet to serve her the P.O. as of this date, and it is still being processed by the legal system.

I'm not really going to comment further until more details come to light.

Reactions: NORiculous
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad