Monarchs are ceasing operations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
You're doing a lot of goal post moving here.

You said that if Manchester had a competent owner than the situation Manchester was facing wouldn't have looked so ridiculous. I responded with that not every market gets a great owner who is fully invested and there's other factors that drive success. And whether you accept it or not, the factors have statistically shown that the renovations bring people into Worcester and are always credited with helping make the town more of a place to go out and do things, one of those things being the Railers. Not every great owner builds a brand new practice facility within walking distance of the arena. Not every great owner has half the city rebuilding and remodeling itself and bringing in a lot of people and increasingly more money. Not every great owner has their administration and players constantly reaching out and connecting with the community.

It's not moving the goalposts. Great, committed ownership isn't the be-all end-all for minor league hockey. Nailers might have the best ownership in the ECHL, having kept them alive long after the team should've folded, as well as keeping rec rinks and alive in the Ohio Valley. And we all know they haven't been a success story.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
You said that if Manchester had a competent owner than the situation Manchester was facing wouldn't have looked so ridiculous. I responded with that not every market gets a great owner who is fully invested and there's other factors that drive success. And whether you accept it or not, the factors have statistically shown that the renovations bring people into Worcester and are always credited with helping make the town more of a place to go out and do things, one of those things being the Railers. Not every great owner builds a brand new practice facility within walking distance of the arena. Not every great owner has half the city rebuilding and remodeling itself and bringing in a lot of people and increasingly more money. Not every great owner has their administration and players constantly reaching out and connecting with the community.

It's not moving the goalposts. Great, committed ownership isn't the be-all end-all for minor league hockey. Nailers might have the best ownership in the ECHL, having kept them alive long after the team should've folded, as well as keeping rec rinks and alive in the Ohio Valley. And we all know they haven't been a success story.
The city manager and the mayor deserve a lot of credit for the positive developments in Worcester the Charlie baker administration has helped to.

Reactions: Barclay Donaldson

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
The city manager and the mayor deserve a lot of credit for the positive developments in Worcester the Charlie baker administration has helped to.

He was on Bax and O'Brien this morning, he's done a lot of good stuff for the state. Mayor Petty has done a lot to bring businesses back, although I think that was done at the expense of the taxpayer depending on who you ask. The city has a lot going for it and that's all things that other ECHL markets wish they could have. It takes a lot more than a competent owner to make a successful minor league team and successful minor league market. Norfolk has had a revolving door of ownership groups since dropping to the EC, most of which have been competent, they've not been successful. Wheeling I already mentioned. Reading has had predominantly competent ownership, and their attendance has been steadily decreasing for a very long time despite being a playoff team for the last decade plus. There's more factors that go into it other than competent ownership.

Last edited:

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com

And now the attempt to move the goal posts back.

You're comparing apples and oranges here. What's happening in Worcester is completely immaterial to Manchester needing a competent local owner. If Worcester wasn't in the ECHL at all Manchester would still need, at a minimum, an invested ownership group with a legitimate plan to make the ECHL work in the city. The hockey market in Manchester is damaged badly, and it doesn't matter what's going on in the area around the arena until that damaged is fixed. I believe a local owner would be a big step in that direction.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
And now the attempt to move the goal posts back.

You're comparing apples and oranges here. What's happening in Worcester is completely immaterial to Manchester needing a competent local owner. If Worcester wasn't in the ECHL at all Manchester would still need, at a minimum, an invested ownership group with a legitimate plan to make the ECHL work in the city. The hockey market in Manchester is damaged badly, and it doesn't matter what's going on in the area around the arena until that damaged is fixed. I believe a local owner would be a big step in that direction.

Manchester hasn't had off-ice success since their move down to the EC. That doesn't mean what's happening in Worcester is completely immaterial to Manchester needing competent ownership, regardless of where it comes from. It doesn't matter what league Worcester is in, there's things going on in Worcester, which I think we've collectively termed "other factors," that make Worcester better than Manchester that are outside of competent ownership. The goalposts haven't been moved this entire time. I've pointed out other markets that have competent ownership and they still haven't had success. It takes a lot more than a smart guy with cash and good business and hockey sense to turn a team around. Manchester clearly feels that they're above ECHL hockey. Flex tape can't fix that, competent ownership probably won't either. There's plenty of other things that go into a hockey market other the guy signing the checks for the team.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Manchester hasn't had off-ice success since their move down to the EC. That doesn't mean what's happening in Worcester is completely immaterial to Manchester needing competent ownership, regardless of where it comes from. It doesn't matter what league Worcester is in, there's things going on in Worcester, which I think we've collectively termed "other factors," that make Worcester better than Manchester that are outside of competent ownership. The goalposts haven't been moved this entire time. I've pointed out other markets that have competent ownership and they still haven't had success. It takes a lot more than a smart guy with cash and good business and hockey sense to turn a team around. Manchester clearly feels that they're above ECHL hockey. Flex tape can't fix that, competent ownership probably won't either. There's plenty of other things that go into a hockey market other the guy signing the checks for the team.
Worcester had a advantage of having multiple affiliations and teams . People in Manchester grew attached to the AHL kings

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Worcester had a advantage of having multiple affiliations and teams . People in Manchester grew attached to the AHL kings

Worcester Sharks were in Worcester 4-5 years less than the Monarchs were in Manchester. I disagree in I see the fanbase thinking they're far above the ECHL rather than growing attached to the AHL Kings.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Worcester Sharks were in Worcester 4-5 years less than the Monarchs were in Manchester. I disagree in I see the fanbase thinking they're far above the ECHL rather than growing attached to the AHL Kings.
I never thought the sharks would be at the dcu indefinitely I always knew they could pull the team anytime. New England ahl fans outside of providence should have know the league did not have long term future in New England.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
The problem is that I assume since jerseys were in production they would be iced as the Monarchs again next season. While I'm sure the announcement is a shock to a lot of people, and related organizations in the league or producing jerseys. This market desperately needs a reset, trotting them out as the Monarchs on a last second save wouldn't be much to save the franchise. It's better for everyone to take a year maybe two off until everyone cools down. Reading the posted articles of journalists and fans saying "we are an AHL city, AHL this, AHL that" it's clear these fans aren't going to support anything less in mass unless they are hit with that ECHL or no hockey option. Once fans feel the effects of being without it, and someone brings a local identity back to the team far away from anything Kings related I think the fans will come back.

Been away for a few days on business so I'm sorry to just drop a post and run...
I completely agree with you. I’ve felt from the first day of the Monarchs moving to the ECHL they needed to do a reset even if it was merely updating the uniforms. Instead, management decided they were going to go balls in that fans were stupid and wouldn’t notice the difference.
Those fans who are talking about AHL this or AHL that do not realize the league has abandoned New England. They changed their business model and unless there is an NHL team nearby that needs an AHL affiliate I don’t see it happening.
It’s going to be ECHL or nothing...

Reactions: mk80

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Per a press release via Twitter the ECHL Board of Governors essentially threw the Monarchs out of the league.

Manchester Membership Terminated

I’m not sure if this changes anything specifically... The ECHL really covets Manchester has a marketplace. It’s location to Boston is ideal for marketing purposes with corporation and they really of course it proximity to Worcester and Portland. I suspect terminating the franchise is part of the plan to help facilitate any new owner coming into the league... I don’t have any answer for that question. As I mentioned in the original post, we’re looking at about three to four weeks to get a new owner. They are sort of looking at Newfoundland as the model for re-engaging the fanbase on quick notice.
I don’t know.... I suspect they find an owner and start up in 2020-21 so they have a year to market the new franchise and attempt to smooth over any hurt feelings.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
I’m not sure if this changes anything specifically... The ECHL really covets Manchester has a marketplace. It’s location to Boston is ideal for marketing purposes with corporation and they really of course it proximity to Worcester and Portland. I suspect terminating the franchise is part of the plan to help facilitate any new owner coming into the league... I don’t have any answer for that question. As I mentioned in the original post, we’re looking at about three to four weeks to get a new owner. They are sort of looking at Newfoundland as the model for re-engaging the fanbase on quick notice.
I don’t know.... I suspect they find an owner and start up in 2020-21 so they have a year to market the new franchise and attempt to smooth over any hurt feelings.
The bruins should be involved with a affiliation and marketing and promotions with Manchester like the leafs where Newfoundland.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
I do agree with Barcley's point that the city can impact a team's success is valid. A great owner in a city that people don't feel safe visiting, with expensive parking and inconvenient access isn't going to do well. A mediocre owner in a vibrant city with free parking, easy access and lots of successful business near the area is going to do better than they would otherwise. This is part of Reading's decline. The city is percieved as being crime ridden, parking is expensive and inconvenient, the mayor is at war with the downtown developers (including the owner who just sold the team), the major arteries into town have been under construction for years, and downtown revitalization hasn't really taken off. Traffic is awful if there is an event at the theater or the hotel on the same night as an event, and the solution seems to be to close more roads during events, so are less alternate routes in and out.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
If they already had one then Monarchs must of had a crap-ton of debt that the new owner didn't want to pickup (i.e. larger than an expansion fee would be).

Reactions: wildcat48 and JMCx4

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Too soon to be seeking new owners...

...unless the debt from the previous franchise is not owed locally. Locals owed $$ from the previous ownership aren't going to be forgiving just because there's new owners for a "new" franchise in the same league.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
I wonder if the Bruins were to look at potentially owning an ECHL franchise, if they didn't also look at taking over the vendor services contract at the arena.
Owning a echl team makes no sense for a nhl owner the Jacobs Family does not even own the p-bruins.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
I wonder if the Bruins were to look at potentially owning an ECHL franchise, if they didn't also look at taking over the vendor services contract at the arena.

Bruins have been generally disinterested in minor league happenings. As long as their prospects get developed, they couldn’t care less. They don’t own the P-Bruins. They just send their prospects there and couldn’t care less about anything else that happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad