Monarchs are ceasing operations

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
OMG people, the FHL is not going to eye Manchester. ... I certainly dont think the FHL is watching this development and believing they have a good opportunity before them lol.
Please don't take our doomsday scenarios away from us. They're quite often all we have to entertain us come summertime. :deadhorse

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Good riddance (to bad management). Listening/watching Cheek on WMUR he's still clueless as to why they did so bad. At least I'll stop getting phone calls and emails from the Monarchs ticket office..

The ECHL is realistically the only option for Manchester. Unless an NHL team relocates to Quebec City and the QC team doesn't want their AHL team in Canada it's not going to happen ever (and even then it's a long shot). Hopefully in a year's time, we'll hear about a new ECHL expansion team in Manchester, with local management that knows what they're doing and actually gives a damn. With any luck it'll be a Bruins affiliate as well, as that will put them on the best footing.

The FHL or other similar leagues are too small for Manchester's arena. You need a team that can draw ~4000 fans a night for that place not to feel like a crypt. The AHL did that easily, the ECHL could do it if it was marketed properly, but the FHL? never.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Good riddance (to bad management). Listening/watching Cheek on WMUR he's still clueless as to why they did so bad. At least I'll stop getting phone calls and emails from the Monarchs ticket office..

The ECHL is realistically the only option for Manchester. Unless an NHL team relocates to Quebec City and the QC team doesn't want their AHL team in Canada it's not going to happen ever (and even then it's a long shot). Hopefully in a year's time, we'll hear about a new ECHL expansion team in Manchester, with local management that knows what they're doing and actually gives a damn. With any luck it'll be a Bruins affiliate as well, as that will put them on the best footing.

The FHL or other similar leagues are too small for Manchester's arena. You need a team that can draw ~4000 fans a night for that place not to feel like a crypt. The AHL did that easily, the ECHL could do it if it was marketed properly, but the FHL? never.
Hopefully they can redo the arena when they go dark and get rid of anything la kings or monarchs related.

BnGBear1970

OopsICrappedMyPants
Jul 24, 2004
This one stings. I'm from Manchester, and while I was never the type to greet the buses or split my allegiances between the Bruins and the local AHL team, the early days of the Monarchs' existence were fun, packed arena nights with some good players. I also grew up in a house that didn't like hockey, so they were my introduction to live games.

I've not lived in the city for some time, but from what I can tell, it appears that the city has done nothing to improve the arena since it opened, and one comment on a Union Leader story intimated there's still no real public transport option for games. Now, that last one is half false, as I know Veterans' Park is a major stop for the MTA, but maybe the network needs to expand its run times and routes to better get fans downtown, but the renovation/maintenance of the arena is something that has to be due. That it hasn't happened yet, despite SMG offering to make upgrades, is so Manchester.

Neill99

Oct 30, 2006
I wish someone would buy the Manchester franchise and move it to Lexington or Louisville and call them the Kentucky Thoroughblades.

Reactions: Growlers

Gazoobz

Apr 22, 2019
Very unexpected. We were in the middle of doing their uniforms for next season.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
I hope you mean WITHOUT the person inside. :facepalm:

Lol of course. I wouldn't toss even Cheek in there (though with the way he ran things he might half deserve it), but the mascot needs to go away permanently and not be repurposed like many minor-league mascots do.

When Manchester gets a new team (hopefully) it needs to be a completely new team with not even the faintest vestiges of the Monarchs.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
"Today, the conversations will continue about the future of professional hockey in the Queen City. Is this an ECHL city? We would tend to agree with the team’s final CEO, Brian Cheek, that it is not.

In fact, we’re better than that. We don’t have a team now, but we’re an AHL city."

A sad day for Manchester

That quote was pure ignorance.... The AHL is not coming back. It's best to take the hockey you can get than no hockey at all. Besides there is nothing wrong with the ECHL. I actually find myself enjoying it more than the AHL because I do not have to worry about the affiliation component. I know the team is there to represent Portland and Maine. It belongs to our community an unlike the Pirates for the last five or six years it was all about development and very little about community pride and winning.

The reasons why the Monarchs left began back in 2015 and have been well-explained here. A timeout will do the city good. I'm positive a new team without the Monarchs branding will come back to Manchester. They will likely have the Bruins affiliation and it will be good for the city. But, in the meantime attitude like this writer isn't going to help anyone.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Part of the problem in Manchester ultimately became, and I saw this on the AHL message boards that operated in this region which were mostly Manchester fans, is they became disenchanted with the LA Kings and blamed them directly for not winning a Calder Cup....which is ultimately not why your Triple A team exists. The Monarchs were always a solid club. They made the playoffs every season but lost in the first round 10 times in 14 years. I think the fans eventually started to drift away being sick of always a bridesmaid and the remain diehards got angry at the front office for many of the perks of being a season ticket holder disappearing to cut costs after losing a chunk of the fanbase.

There's no doubt, ECHL hockey is a step down from the AHL and it's more noticeable in a good sized arena. Trying to portray it as "the same team" was a bad move.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
A question for those who attended a Monarchs game this season......Was the attendance listed anything close to what was actually in the building?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad