Monarchs are ceasing operations

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
O’Sullivan: Local hockey fans saddened, but not surprised by departure of Monarchs

‘Why am I watching these guys that are never going to play in the NHL?’ ”
The move from AHL to ECHL may have worked in another market, but not in a hockey-savvy place like New Hampshire.
“Manchester is a hockey town and this is a hockey state, and everyone knows the different levels and can see that,” Noel said. “I think that’s why people got disinterested.”

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
O’Sullivan: Local hockey fans saddened, but not surprised by departure of Monarchs

The move from AHL to ECHL may have worked in another market, but not in a hockey-savvy place like New Hampshire.
“Manchester is a hockey town and this is a hockey state, and everyone knows the different levels and can see that,” Noel said. “I think that’s why people got disinterested.”
Major junior is a bad idea The market is probably going to have a unrelated to the monarchs bruins supported echl expansion team with a local owner.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com

I just sent the author a message on Twitter indicating he needed to do a lot more research before publishing.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I just sent the author a message on Twitter indicating he needed to do a lot more research before publishing.
While you can certainly quibble with Mr. O'Sullivan's journalism, the more worrisome part is the presumed "consensus for much of the local hockey community" in a so-called "hockey-savvy place like New Hampshire." I've seen these attitudes from self-proclaimed "hockey fans" and "hockey writers" in my home town, and they have doomed every attempt to sustain affordable & entertaining pro or upper tier junior hockey in our metro area (read: "If it ain't the NHL, it ain't worth my time."). I sure hope TRUE hockey fans remain & prevail in Manchester as the sting of losing pro hockey wears off.

Reactions: mk80 and 210

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
I wouldn’t close the door just yet on Manchester playing next season in the ECHL. Over the weekend, I had a couple of conversations with AHL executives whom I still chat with regularly that live in the southern Maine area and were familiar with the Monarchs’ situation. Apparently, Brian Cheek was trying to pull his best Art Model, Jim Irsay by sneaking out in the middle of the night by not telling anyone about the team folding until either the very last moment or after the fact. Vendors were not told until they read it in the Union Leader or other media. The ECHL’s new jersey provider AK was apparently in the middle of new uniforms when they received word of the closure. Even the ECHL was completely caught off-guard by the Monarchs announcement. They were preparing to release the schedule within the next two weeks. Now, league is currently scrambling in an attempt to save the franchise, which is why they have not made any announcement or even acknowledged the team closed its doors. The league feels like they have four weeks to get a new owner and have begun the process of looking for ownership including talking to people who showed interest in the Monarchs, but were rebuffed by Cheek because he didn’t like the asking price. The league highly values the Manchester market so they do not want to be without a team. If something isn’t done for this upcoming season, I fully expect Manchester to ice a team in 20-21. It’s a league priority.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I wouldn’t close the door just yet on Manchester playing next season in the ECHL. Over the weekend, I had a couple of conversations with AHL executives whom I still chat with regularly that live in the southern Maine area and were familiar with the Monarchs’ situation. Apparently, Brian Cheek was trying to pull his best Art Model, Jim Irsay by sneaking out in the middle of the night by not telling anyone about the team folding until either the very last moment or after the fact. Vendors were not told until they read it in the Union Leader or other media. The ECHL’s new jersey provider AK was apparently in the middle of new uniforms when they received word of the closure. Even the ECHL was completely caught off-guard by the Monarchs announcement. They were preparing to release the schedule within the next two weeks. Now, league is currently scrambling in an attempt to save the franchise, which is why they have not made any announcement or even acknowledged the team closed its doors. The league feels like they have four weeks to get a new owner and have begun the process of looking for ownership including talking to people who showed interest in the Monarchs, but were rebuffed by Cheek because he didn’t like the asking price. The league highly values the Manchester market so they do not want to be without a team. If something isn’t done for this upcoming season, I fully expect Manchester to ice a team in 20-21. It’s a league priority.
The problem is that I assume since jerseys were in production they would be iced as the Monarchs again next season. While I'm sure the announcement is a shock to a lot of people, and related organizations in the league or producing jerseys. This market desperately needs a reset, trotting them out as the Monarchs on a last second save wouldn't be much to save the franchise. It's better for everyone to take a year maybe two off until everyone cools down. Reading the posted articles of journalists and fans saying "we are an AHL city, AHL this, AHL that" it's clear these fans aren't going to support anything less in mass unless they are hit with that ECHL or no hockey option. Once fans feel the effects of being without it, and someone brings a local identity back to the team far away from anything Kings related I think the fans will come back.

Last edited:

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
The problem is that I assume since jerseys were in production they would be iced as the Monarchs again next season. While I'm sure the announcement is a shock to a lot of people, and related organizations. This market desperately needs a reset, trotting them out as the Monarchs on a last second save wouldn't be much to save the franchise. It's better for everyone to take a year maybe two off until everyone cools down. Reading the posted articles of journalists and fans saying "we are an AHL city, AHL this, AHL that" it's clear these fans aren't going to support anything less in mass unless they are hit with that ECHL or no hockey option. Once fans feel the effects of being without it, and someone brings a local identity back to the team far away from anything Kings related I think the fans will come back.
Cheek mentioning how the la Kings agreed with him killed any chance the fan base will embrace a kings farm team.

Reactions: wildcat48 and mk80

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The problem is that I assume since jerseys were in production they would be iced as the Monarchs again next season. While I'm sure the announcement is a shock to a lot of people, and related organizations. This market desperately needs a reset, trotting them out as the Monarchs on a last second save wouldn't be much to save the franchise. It's better for everyone to take a year maybe two off until everyone cools down. Reading the posted articles of journalists and fans saying "we are an AHL city, AHL this, AHL that" it's clear these fans aren't going to support anything less in mass unless they are hit with that ECHL or no hockey option. Once fans feel the effects of being without it, and someone brings a local identity back to the team far away from anything Kings related I think the fans will come back.

It's an option not taken near enough imo.

When Cincinnati's war of attrition between the Ducks (AHL) and Cyclones (IHL/ECHL) finally killed off both teams (technically the ECHL Cyclones suspended operations at the conclusion of the 03-04 season), the Cincinnati hockey market got a well needed year off (2005-06). It may as well have been two or three given how poorly the latest incarnation of the Cyclones drew (1844) in their return season in 06-07.

When new ownership takes over a declining team or market, they don't seem to have a handle on what went wrong in their market. In the Cincinnati market the two team insanity took its toll. By the time the dust settled, there was hardly any value to a hockey ticket in Cincinnati as both teams had been giving away tickets in copious quantities for years. The Cyclones management made it a point that tickets would not be given away when the team returned. While attendance was very poor the first season back at least people were paying for their tickets. The proper price point was discovered in year 2 and attendance started growing.

Each market has its particular problems and rushing in to establish a new team immediately following a failed franchise (see Quad Cities, Dayton) hardly ever seems to work.

Last edited:

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Cheek mentioning how the la Kings agreed with him killed any chance the fan base will embrace a kings farm team.

Exactly, when a team comes back to the market they need to stay as far away from the Kings as possible. The only thing they should promote involving the Kings is a win against whoever the Kings affiliate is at the time.

It's an option not taken near enough imo.

Each market has its particular problems and rushing in to establish a new team immediately following a failed franchise (see Quad Cities, Dayton) hardly ever seems to work.

Exactly you hit the nail on the head here in these two sentences. I believe Manchester is a market that can make a comeback eventually, and it may be slow in the first 2-3 years. But once people have that feeling of "I wish we had a team in town to go see vs. driving to X or Y city" combined with the right ownership and most important a local team identity, they could be a successful.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
A Expansion team is the only path forward now.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI

source.gif

Reactions: mk80

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
People filled the building when the Monarchs had AHL talent getting ready for the big show with the Kings

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
If the ECHL had found a competent local owner to take over it wouldn't have looked ridiculous at all...

It's not that easy to find a competent owner. The Railers really lucked out with Cliff Rucker, but then again they had the benefits of a year off along with other factors.

People filled the building when the Monarchs had AHL talent getting ready for the big show with the Kings

A team is doing something wrong if they don't pack the building with NHL-ready prospects. Manchester won't be housing the NHL's future stars from now on, nowhere in New England will be. Atlantic Canada was a predecessor to New England as an AHL stronghold, all of those markets 1.) evolved and joined the Q or found other leagues or 2.) died because waiting for the same thing to come back around is suicide.

i don't understand why don"t they just move to the team to a place that wants the team

Two reasons. First, no place wants an EC team. If there was a market that wanted an EC team, then the league would've expanded there for next season. There is no expansion, so there is no market that wants and is capable of having an EC team. Second, if you're a local owner, why in your right mind would you want to move the team in Billings or Reno when you're a New Hampshire person?

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
It's not that easy to find a competent owner. The Railers really lucked out with Cliff Rucker, but then again they had the benefits of a year off along with other factors.

A team is doing something wrong if they don't pack the building with NHL-ready prospects. Manchester won't be housing the NHL's future stars from now on, nowhere in New England will be. Atlantic Canada was a predecessor to New England as an AHL stronghold, all of those markets 1.) evolved and joined the Q or found other leagues or 2.) died because waiting for the same thing to come back around is suicide.

Two reasons. First, no place wants an EC team. If there was a market that wanted an EC team, then the league would've expanded there for next season. There is no expansion, so there is no market that wants and is capable of having an EC team. Second, if you're a local owner, why in your right mind would you want to move the team in Billings or Reno when you're a New Hampshire person?
They have to pay the fee for the year I think if they go dormant for a sale.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com

I'd love to hear what the "other factors" were here in Worcester.

And I fully expect there will be a committed, local owner of an ECHL Manchester team for 2020-21.

Reactions: Centrum Hockey

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Now Manchester's excuses are getting old quickly. Adirondack did okay transitioning from the AHL to ECHL with respectable results. Four years later were able to modestly build their fan base and the AHL was in Glens Falls years before Manchester. Competition for an AHL team nowadays will be tough. An arena will have to be upgraded to new standards and within reasonable distance logistically. NH fans are going to have to get used to DI hockey or travel to Boston.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
I'd love to hear what the "other factors" were here in Worcester.

And I fully expect there will be a committed, local owner of an ECHL Manchester team for 2020-21.

There's plenty of "other factors." A brand new practice facility got built 5 minutes away from the arena, Manchester doesn't have that. There hasn't been entire areas of Manchester developed like the Canal District has and will be. The Harding Green complex is going to be impressive based off of the renderings alone. Manchester hasn't seen property after property acquired, renovated, and successfully operating like the half dozen restaurants along Main Street. I see the WooSox coming as a positive considering the seasons don't really overlap. Manchester doesn't have people going into the city just to do stuff like Worcester is having. Manchester isn't working with their local public school system and being constantly active in the community like the Railers, I think this past year they skated with something like 3,000 students throughout the season. Having been to both Monarchs and Railers games, Manchester also hasn't made the games incredibly affordable like the Railers have. I believe tickets either stayed the same or increased in price after the move down to the ECHL.

There's plenty of "other factors" that make Worcester a much better city and market than Manchester.

Reactions: Fenian24

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
"A brand new practice facility got built 5 minutes away from the arena" ....yeah, by Cliff Rucker, the guy who owns the Railers. And he did after he was awarded the team. And none of those other things have any direct impact on either Rucker getting the expansion franchise nor the success of the franchise. I've never once heard anyone say "hey, they're doing some great stuff in Green Island, let's go to a hockey game!".

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
"A brand new practice facility got built 5 minutes away from the arena" ....yeah, by Cliff Rucker, the guy who owns the Railers. And he did after he was awarded the team. And none of those other things have any direct impact on either Rucker getting the expansion franchise nor the success of the franchise. I've never once heard anyone say "hey, they're doing some great stuff in Green Island, let's go to a hockey game!".

My point was they have more positive things going for them than Manchester does. Actually connecting with the fanbase, he’s been to every game I’ve been and I’ve heard he’s at just about every game including away ones. And you’d be surprised at the number of people who are interested in spending the night out in Worcester over just seeing a hockey game and bolting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad