Confirmed with Link: Monahan traded to Jets for 2024 1st and cond. 3rd in 2027.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Dach, Dvorak and Newhook are all injured, but will be back next season. The trade of Monahan signified the team was not competing this season. If Captain Nick should get hurt, it will have no long term affect on the team (other than improving their draft position) . This is a non-issue.
Monahan signed with the deal to be traded to a contender and they still got a first. Kent must have respect around the league.

Montreal was never contending this year.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
To be fair it's rumored he made a trade for Vilardi before that Patch refused because he did not want to go to LA. Vilardi is not Suzuki but he's not a bad player.

I recall tanner Pearson's name being thrown around at the time. Was that a seperate rumor involving the Habs back then?

I mean, I remember it as the kings dangling him, but I don't know if the Habs ever had a huge interest in him

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Monahan signed with the deal to be traded to a contender and they still got a first. Kent must have respect around the league.

Montreal was never contending this year.

Most likely, the jets were not the only team in on Monahan, and they felt compelled to get their guy before anyone else swooped in after the lindholm domino fell.

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
With the luck we have , the Jets will win the cup and their 2024 1st end pick will be the 32nd, almost the value of our 2nd they have.

Reactions: rahad

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
With the luck we have , the Jets will win the cup and their 2024 1st end pick will be the 32nd, almost the value of our 2nd they have.

I'll take the pick at 32 if that's what it is, we will get an extra pick out of it.. and who cares, it was a 1st round pick for a guy we got a 1st rounder to take. Chances are the guy we like at 32 would have been available at 26.

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
Winnipeg, even if they win their division, has a good chance of playing VGK first round. They will either play DAL, COL, NSH or VGK. Outside of them playing NSH, I think our pick might be a good one. :DD

Edit: LAK are also a possibility...

Jul 6, 2016
Bergevin also lost Danault for nothing because he choose Gallagher instead of him. He made a lot of mistakes with him which lead to him leaving.

As for Romanov, it was a draft pick to begin with. He did good drafting Romanov but it could have been a flop as easily.

That being said, Bergevin did some really good moves. The problem has always been that they did not seem to be aligned with a vision and more with improvisation.

The Suzuki trade is insane by itself. Hell, I think Tatar produced more than Pacioretty since that trade and we even got Suzuki out of it. But that trade only happenned because Pacioretty made it known he did not want to come back and there was a feud between Bergevin and him.
Patches did not want to go to LA (for Villardi +). That is why he ended up in Vegas for Suzuki and Tatar.

Winnipeg Jets powerplay before acquiring Sean Monahan: 15.7%. Winnipeg powerplay after acquiring Sean Monahan: 31.3%.
Too bad Hughes "had" to trade him.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Patches did not want to go to LA (for Villardi +). That is why he ended up in Vegas for Suzuki and Tatar.

Vegas also weren't willing to trade Glass or Brannstrom, so Bergevin had to settle for Suzuki (thank god for that). The luck behind the Pacioretty trade is frankly insane.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
?
What does benefit our Team have if we didn't trade Monahan at the deadline..?
We'd have a better % powerplay..?
Is this what you want out of the season, is this what you want out of dealing with assets?

Say they didn't trade Monahan, and we dont get an extra pick, and he doesn't re-sign at the end of the year , your take would be "well at least he added 2% to our PP" ? And we lose him for nothing?

In your mind I'm guessing you're doing everything to re-sign him?, and I'm not knocking that , I like him a lot too
What I'm trying to say is, you can still trade him and still do everything you can to re-sign him and still get an extra 1st out of the whole thing even if he doesn't sign

Which it doesn't really seem like HuGo had an interest in doing anyway

They tried to do this last year but he got hurt so we couldn't move him, we were amazingly lucky enough to re-sign him and rry again, and you bet your ass the second Kent got offered the 1st he ran and took it to the bank
And as we saw from all the TDL returns, it was a pretty wise move indeed

Jul 6, 2016
?
What does benefit our Team have if we didn't trade Monahan at the deadline..?
We'd have a better % powerplay..?
Is this what you want out of the season, is this what you want out of dealing with assets?

Say they didn't trade Monahan, and we dont get an extra pick, and he doesn't re-sign at the end of the year , your take would be "well at least he added 2% to our PP" ? And we lose him for nothing?

In your mind I'm guessing you're doing everything to re-sign him?, and I'm not knocking that , I like him a lot too
What I'm trying to say is, you can still trade him and still do everything you can to re-sign him and still get an extra 1st out of the whole thing even if he doesn't sign

Which it doesn't really seem like HuGo had an interest in doing anyway

They tried to do this last year but he got hurt so we couldn't move him, we were amazingly lucky enough to re-sign him and rry again, and you bet your ass the second Kent got offered the 1st he ran and took it to the bank
And as we saw from all the TDL returns, it was a pretty wise move indeed
No. It is not my point. Any team needs good veterans to be around their younger talents. Monahan seemed to enjoy the team and Montreal, even more than our so-called great leader Shea Weber. ever showed. Guys like him, Allen, Savard are much apreciated by everyone. It has a huge poisitive impact on a developing team.

Reactions: Redux91

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
No. It is not my point. Any team needs good veterans to be around their younger talents. Monahan seemed to enjoy the team and Montreal, even more than our so-called great leader Shea Weber. ever showed. Guys like him, Allen, Savard are much apreciated by everyone. It has a huge poisitive impact on a developing team.
And they did for ~45-60 games of the season and are only missing for the final ~20 in Allen's case and ~35 for Monahan. Your point would have more strength if Monahan and Allen had been shipped at the start of the season, leaving the young team without support for 82 games instead of ~20-35.

That and I don't doubt that Hughes will grab a solid vet on forward this offseason.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Vegas also weren't willing to trade Glass or Brannstrom, so Bergevin had to settle for Suzuki (thank god for that). The luck behind the Pacioretty trade is frankly insane.
I’m curious if there is any real evidence that we ‘settled’ for Suzuki?

Because anyone with a memory should remember that our fans were pissed as the narrative emerged soon after the trade that MB TARGETED Suzuki.

When a few years ago or so it started to be clear that Suzuki was better than Glass, the narrative emerged that MB ACTUALLY wanted Glass instead lol.

I’m genuinely curious if there was ever evidence for EITHER of these narratives.

HockeyJunkie87

Jan 20, 2021

Because anyone with a memory should remember that our fans were pissed as the narrative emerged soon after the trade that MB TARGETED Suzuki.

When a few years ago or so it started to be clear that Suzuki was better than Glass, the narrative emerged that MB ACTUALLY wanted Glass instead lol.

I’m genuinely curious if there was ever evidence for EITHER of these narratives.
Dude... it's so nice to see you here still. lol
I can remember chatting with yo daily YEARS ago on Habfans.com
Sorry to crash your conversation but I'm just happy to see you here .
I was "Habs17" on that forum back in the day.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

oh yeah well I was Habs25 on AOL.com , so there

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
3rd rounder in 2027 is back on the menu, Jets have a real shot at the Cup
I still want the 1st to be the best possible, and so would rather not get the 3rd. Gotta hope the Jets don't win the division and then lose by the 2nd round.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Basu wrote about it.

I can't cite podcasts or radio segments, but I recall that Friedman and Johnston have talked about it as well.

As for the MB targeted Suzuki? Its a common refrain from GMs to say they targeted certain prospects. Which usually isn't a lie. If you have a list of 3 players to target and the other team agrees to trade your 3rd choice, you got a player you targeted. Basically they let Vegas pick which prospect to move and Suzuki was it, but Brannstrom was the more acute need and Glass the better regarded center prospect.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Oh man! How’s it going? Great to see you too. That’s awesome.

A few of us made the trek over here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad