Confirmed with Link: Monahan traded to Jets for 2024 1st and cond. 3rd in 2027.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Weber had people blow by him in his last seasons in Nashville and that made him available when the habs were looking to trade Subban. He was a great player, and his game wasn't based on foot speed, but his lower body was a mess. It's absolutely amazing that he played at the level he did, and that he could carry Mete despite all that, but he had a tough time those last years.

Yeah he battled injuries but he was still effective. This was in response to saying he was "done" the moment he got to montreal.

It's that last season where you could see a significant drop off to his game.... even his shot.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Yeah he battled injuries but he was still effective. This was in response to saying he was "done" the moment he got to montreal.

It's that last season where you could see a significant drop off to his game.... even his shot.
You can be effective and done. Gretzky did 62 points in his final season and this right in the middle of the dead puck era. He was still an effective top 6 player. He was done though 100%.

Weber was on borrowed time when he got here. He was in and out of the lineup and had trouble being effective (healthy) as an elite 1st dman. There's rumour he spent the scf run on pain killer. He was done as a top dman in the league except for that one time au chalet (October month after the trade).

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Tony's podcast have a good point. No centre after Nick S
if Nick goes down, who can centre this team.
thus solid point, they don't need picks that put young guys on this team in 3/4 year. they need help now.
Question is — did we really need Marinaro to make that point? Have we not been debating center depth even before the Dach injury?

I think we have some pretty astute posters here who don’t happen to have a megaphone glued to their faces like Marinaro. More power to the guy for surviving in a brutal business but forgive me if I prefer our contributors here over the blowhard.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Question is — did we really need Marinaro to make that point? Have we not been debating center depth even before the Dach injury?

I think we have some pretty astute posters here who don’t happen to have a megaphone glued to their faces like Marinaro. More power to the guy for surviving in a brutal business but forgive me if I prefer our contributors here over the blowhard.
It was lapperire that said it on his Show.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
That was far from potentially having to face Boston and TB in the first two rounds though.
On a skale of 100, I would say TB were 98, Boston 96 and Toronto 94. Boston were not unbeatable. They lack the top defenseman of TB : Hedman and of course the very best goalie Vasy. Add to Toronto a better goalie and a D like Hedman and they are real contenders. But leafs are out there at the top, on paper they compete with Bruins, Canes, Rangers and Bolts. On regular season for sure but they always fail in PO. I'm not unhappy if they didn't fix that yet, hehehe.

Habs had good energy round 1 & 2 in '21. Habs and Vegas were equally tired or in shape round 3. Round 4 habs had Price going down and Weber was slow as hell. Habs became a injured team in round 4. But they were no match vs Bolts (even in good shape).

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It was lapperire that said it on his Show.
Thanks. Your post didn't say and I'm not in the habit of listening to Marinaro's podcasts.

I do hear enough of him when he does his milk runs on BPM and on JiC's show.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site

It's crazy to say he was done when we got him. Weber was excellent for us until the end.

I understand he had nagging injury problems, but he was very solid despite this when on the ice.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land

Subby had his first Cup Run the year of the trade and Weber his last year. Subby and Weber retired almost the same year due to injuries. They equal in some way.

Reactions: jaffy27

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
You can be effective and done. Gretzky did 62 points in his final season and this right in the middle of the dead puck era. He was still an effective top 6 player. He was done though 100%.

Weber was on borrowed time when he got here. He was in and out of the lineup and had trouble being effective (healthy) as an elite 1st dman. There's rumour he spent the scf run on pain killer. He was done as a top dman in the league except for that one time au chalet (October month after the trade).

I think we have differing ideas of what "done" means.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Tony's podcast have a good point. No centre after Nick S
if Nick goes down, who can centre this team.
thus solid point, they don't need picks that put young guys on this team in 3/4 year. they need help now.
Dach, Dvorak and Newhook are all injured, but will be back next season. The trade of Monahan signified the team was not competing this season. If Captain Nick should get hurt, it will have no long term affect on the team (other than improving their draft position) . This is a non-issue.

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
On a skale of 100, I would say TB were 98, Boston 96 and Toronto 94. Boston were not unbeatable. They lack the top defenseman of TB : Hedman and of course the very best goalie Vasy. Add to Toronto a better goalie and a D like Hedman and they are real contenders. But leafs are out there at the top, on paper they compete with Bruins, Canes, Rangers and Bolts. On regular season for sure but they always fail in PO. I'm not unhappy if they didn't fix that yet, hehehe.

Habs had good energy round 1 & 2 in '21. Habs and Vegas were equally tired or in shape round 3. Round 4 habs had Price going down and Weber was slow as hell. Habs became a injured team in round 4. But they were no match vs Bolts (even in good shape).
Plus playing a team 30M over the cap. Which is ridiculous and still hasn't been fixed.
I'm tired of hearing that season doesn't count. The saying " I don't make the rules, just play the game" was in affect for every team. The rules were set and Montreal like every other team played within them. Montreal was a major underdog in every playoff series and won 3/4 rounds.

durojean

May 29, 2007
What a load of crock. Bergevin got his share of centers:

Nick Suzuki for a decrepit Pacioretty. He's our best player and our captain.

No Canadien has had more points in a season than Max Domi in the last 17 years.

Bergevin also packaged two assets that weren't worth more than your evaluation of his work and acquired Phillip Danault and a 2nd rounder with that. Danault is only one of the best two-way centers in this league. But yeah, no centers.

The second rounder became Romanov, BTW. That as an instrumental asset Hughes used to get Dach.

As for first rounders, any GM who is liquidating assets and tanking can get first rounders. Don't get me wrong, I'm fully on board with the current strategy but Bergevin never got the mandate to rebuild from Molson.

I'm curious to see how Hughes will manage a team with the mandate to compete. If he gets to the point where the team stops sucking. But right now, to even suggest he's been more effective at getting centers is extremely premature.

Bergevin also lost Danault for nothing because he choose Gallagher instead of him. He made a lot of mistakes with him which lead to him leaving.

As for Romanov, it was a draft pick to begin with. He did good drafting Romanov but it could have been a flop as easily.

That being said, Bergevin did some really good moves. The problem has always been that they did not seem to be aligned with a vision and more with improvisation.

The Suzuki trade is insane by itself. Hell, I think Tatar produced more than Pacioretty since that trade and we even got Suzuki out of it. But that trade only happenned because Pacioretty made it known he did not want to come back and there was a feud between Bergevin and him.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
What a load of crock. Bergevin got his share of centers:

Nick Suzuki for a decrepit Pacioretty. He's our best player and our captain.

No Canadien has had more points in a season than Max Domi in the last 17 years.

Bergevin also packaged two assets that weren't worth more than your evaluation of his work and acquired Phillip Danault and a 2nd rounder with that. Danault is only one of the best two-way centers in this league. But yeah, no centers.

The second rounder became Romanov, BTW. That as an instrumental asset Hughes used to get Dach.

As for first rounders, any GM who is liquidating assets and tanking can get first rounders. Don't get me wrong, I'm fully on board with the current strategy but Bergevin never got the mandate to rebuild from Molson.

I'm curious to see how Hughes will manage a team with the mandate to compete. If he gets to the point where the team stops sucking. But right now, to even suggest he's been more effective at getting centers is extremely premature.

Bergevin got his share of centers, but it wasn't his fair share. Suzuki and Danault over 10 years wasn't enough. We were constantly desperately in need of centers. Hughes comes in and gets Dach and Monahan in his first two years, plus hopefully Beck.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Plus playing a team 30M over the cap. Which is ridiculous and still hasn't been fixed.
I'm tired of hearing that season doesn't count. The saying " I don't make the rules, just play the game" was in affect for every team. The rules were set and Montreal like every other team played within them. Montreal was a major underdog in every playoff series and won 3/4 rounds.
Do you think Bettman is concerned and is trying to fix that?
If you think like me, the answer is no.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Teams are running out of big LTIR contracts to pad their cap space. The rest was very timely injuries/surgery + rehabs duration which could be fixed by changing the rules a bit like only allowing players who played 41 games during the season to participate (and keep the emergency recalls rule if there are injuries during the playoffs). Although, that would probably lead to more goons to take out long-term the good players...

Reactions: Garnet76

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
Bergevin also lost Danault for nothing because he choose Gallagher instead of him. He made a lot of mistakes with him which lead to him leaving.

As for Romanov, it was a draft pick to begin with. He did good drafting Romanov but it could have been a flop as easily.

That being said, Bergevin did some really good moves. The problem has always been that they did not seem to be aligned with a vision and more with improvisation.

The Suzuki trade is insane by itself. Hell, I think Tatar produced more than Pacioretty since that trade and we even got Suzuki out of it. But that trade only happenned because Pacioretty made it known he did not want to come back and there was a feud between Bergevin and him.
MB wanted Glass and Vegas refused, so he "settled" for Suzuki. He got lucky.

Reactions: Miller Time

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
So far the Trojan horse doing well .
The peg 0-2 since trade . May it continue !

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
MB wanted Glass and Vegas refused, so he "settled" for Suzuki. He got lucky.

he could have squashed the deal completely as well, but he pulled the trigger.

I know the kings were sniffing too, and if I recall correctly, it was tanner Pearson's name being thrown around.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Teams are running out of big LTIR contracts to pad their cap space. The rest was very timely injuries/surgery + rehabs duration which could be fixed by changing the rules a bit like only allowing players who played 41 games during the season to participate (and keep the emergency recalls rule if there are injuries during the playoffs). Although, that would probably lead to more goons to take out long-term the good players...
They can take Gallagher and Price. The firesale has started. Armia and Allen are also available. Anderson and Dvorak, now that's class.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad