Confirmed with Link: Monahan traded to Jets for 2024 1st and cond. 3rd in 2027.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
That honestly doesn't look so bad the difference between a couple rankings has got to be a miniscule amount of points. But ah pretty sure they are actually wrong as Boston should be 1st, and Tampa 4th which does change things a bit but it's debateable whether having a couple very good teams but also a couple extra really bad teams makes a division harder. Like you'll lose more against those good teams but win more against the bad teams, so it might even out and the division that's almost all middle of the pack teams is actually tougher because there's less "free" points for the taking.
Leafs were a very tough team to face on first round, despite all the sh*t we can say about the Leafs. Jets just swipe Oilers in 4 games, they were on paper and in reality a typical hard team to face in PO. And Vegas was a good team in 21 and they won the SC in 23. I don't see any difference if Habs faced Boston or Canes in round 1 and 2. More of the same as Leafs and Jets.

Reactions: Sorinth

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Bergs said he built his team for Canadian division. Knew Ottawa and Flames unlikely to make it. He thought Oilers and Toronto were top heavy. We were built on heart, big heavy defense in front of good goalie. If it went long series he liked our chances. Against the Jets he thought our odds were 50/50. Once Sch was suspended in went in our favour. He figured odds good we get final 4.

Subban - Bergs said he had to trade him when his teammates never voted for him as our nominee for King Clancy Award. Dispite Subban big donation to local hospital. He said 20 men in dressing room wouldn't be wrong. Knew he had problems in dressing room. Subban seen Sedin do similar donation year before to win it. Oilers offered more skill but he turned it down because left big hole in his defense and still never addressed his leadership problem.

The bad contracts, trades, most GMs do similar. Hughes be no better if he had team Been to Final.

Hughes doing same, his moves no doing well. Look at his work?

Bad contract - He gave backup goalie extension with large raise. Made Allen untradable with any fair return. Might get a 4th instead of a 2nd. Unless he eats some of that contract.

Missed on trading Anderson last 2 deadlines for big return. Lebrun wrote article on trade return. He's probably untradable now.

Traded one of top two way forwards in game to Colorado. For Barron who has no idea how to play defense. Likely not going to be here long. Along with 60th overall pick in weak draft in depth. About 98% chance that's going to be zero.

Traded decent backup for Pearson. Who is 100% waste of cap hit. He's AHL fodder. Got a third but in terrible draft. It's nothing pick. Canucks sucked him in.

Traded solid asset for half of Newhook. Who is middle forward. Maybe a draw in that trade.

Traded 13+33 picks for Dach. Who is good player but piece of glass. Lot of talent available when those picks came up.

Traded Toffoli too quick. Flames got better return we did. Got a third liner but injuries again. Late first but used it on another smurf. Last thing in universe we needed. That trade not improve team much.Tofgoli gritty 35 goals. Step back team did.
You are killing me...................Bergs said he built the team for the Canadian Division.....
Thinking he could forsee Covid 19 coming, and set his plans in motion......................

I mean come on man.....................the team he built that year, went on a nice PO run, but it also finished 32nd the following year, and in Cap Hell, and got Bergs fired. LOL..................

Clown running a Gong Show, and had a hall of fame goalie steal games.......that was Bergevin's claim to fame.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
You are killing me...................Bergs said he built the team for the Canadian Division.....
Thinking he could forsee Covid 19 coming, and set his plans in motion......................

I mean come on man.....................the team he built that year, went on a nice PO run, but it also finished 32nd the following year, and in Cap Hell, and got Bergs fired. LOL..................

Clown running a Gong Show, and had a hall of fame goalie steal games.......that was Bergevin's claim to fame.
Actually Toffoli, Anderson, Edmundson, Perry, Allen signings / acquisitions were prior to start of 20-21 season when Covid restrictions were already a thing.

Iirc pretty much all the talking heads were applauding those pre-season moves by MB and saying Habs had the best off-season of any NHL team. McGuire on Melnick’s show stated, Habs were very strategic in building a team to be able to play heavy hockey w the likes of Win, Cgy, Van at the time…. playoffs proved it right. It wasn’t the Habs who set the division formations, no other division had as much travel or road trips - the Eastern US division had teams traveling by luxury bus and returning home after games with limited road trips / hotel stays.

Should Holland not get credit for Edm success because he didn’t draft McDavid or Draisaitl?

I get it, MB rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, with his red tight pants, biceps etc but fact remains no Cdn team had as much playoff success as Habs during his 10-year tenure.

Never understood how it’s ok for Edm to ride McDavid but it was wrong for Habs to ride their best player in Price….

His ultimate downfall was poor amateur scouting, which impacted the ability to team build around Price, which MB was fully responsible for, and becoming emotionally attached to his players / employees which is a no-no for a manager

BTW the team that “finished 32nd the following year” lost two 1st ballot HOFers, including the franchise player, and a very good C and devastated by injury, how many teams would’ve been able to withstand all that?

Last edited:

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
The bad contracts, trades, most GMs do similar. Hughes be no better if he had team Been to Final.

Hughes doing same, his moves no doing well. Look at his work?

Bad contract - He gave backup goalie extension with large raise. Made Allen untradable with any fair return. Might get a 4th instead of a 2nd. Unless he eats some of that contract.

Missed on trading Anderson last 2 deadlines for big return. Lebrun wrote article on trade return. He's probably untradable now.

Traded one of top two way forwards in game to Colorado. For Barron who has no idea how to play defense. Likely not going to be here long. Along with 60th overall pick in weak draft in depth. About 98% chance that's going to be zero.

Traded decent backup for Pearson. Who is 100% waste of cap hit. He's AHL fodder. Got a third but in terrible draft. It's nothing pick. Canucks sucked him in.

Traded solid asset for half of Newhook. Who is middle forward. Maybe a draw in that trade.

Traded 13+33 picks for Dach. Who is good player but piece of glass. Lot of talent available when those picks came up.

Traded Toffoli too quick. Flames got better return we did. Got a third liner but injuries again. Late first but used it on another smurf. Last thing in universe we needed. That trade not improve team much.Tofgoli gritty 35 goals. Step back team did.

And what about that amazing return he got from Dallas for Dadonov:laugh::laugh:

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Actually Toffoli, Anderson, Edmundson, Perry, Allen signings / acquisitions were prior to start of 20-21 season when Covid restrictions were already a thing.

Iirc pretty much all the talking heads were applauding those pre-season moves by MB and saying Habs had the best off-season of any NHL team. McGuire on Melnick’s show stated, Habs were very strategic in building a team to be able to play heavy hockey w the likes of Win, Cgy, Van at the time…. playoffs proved it right. It wasn’t the Habs who set the division formations, no other division had as much travel or road trips - the Eastern US division had teams traveling by luxury bus and returning home after games with limited road trips / hotel stays.

Should Holland not get credit for Edm success because he didn’t draft McDavid or Draisaitl?

I get it, MB rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, with his red tight pants, biceps etc but fact remains no Cdn team had as much playoff success as Habs during his 10-year tenure.

Never understood how it’s ok for Edm to ride McDavid but it was wrong for Habs to ride their best player in Price….

His ultimate downfall was poor amateur scouting, which impacted the ability to team build around Price, which MB was fully responsible for, and becoming emotionally attached to his players / employees which is a no-no for a manager

BTW the team that “finished 32nd the following year” lost two 1st ballot HOFers, including the franchise player, and a very good C and devastated by injury, how many teams would’ve been able to withstand all that?
Can't say pro scouting wasn't a huge fail either. Everyone and their mother knew alzner was done. Everyone and their mother knew signing radulov and Markov were no brainers. Everyone knew eller was a good playoff guy. Everyone knew shaw was horribly and disgustingly overvalued.

Many, many gms could have built a cup contender starting with Patches, Subban, price and a 3rd overall pick.

Reactions: overlords

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
get it, MB rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, with his red tight pants, biceps etc but fact remains no Cdn team had as much playoff success as Habs during his 10-year tenure.

Pretty much that and the fact he didnt speak neither a good French or English, overall he did a pretty good job, after 10 years in this maket it was time for a change same thing happen to Savard

Reactions: 1909

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Are you sure? I usually check before I post.

I went back 6 pages in this thread and saw no one post the link you’re referencing. :dunno:

2076-wat.png

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Can't say pro scouting wasn't a huge fail either. Everyone and their mother knew alzner was done. Everyone and their mother knew signing radulov and Markov were no brainers. Everyone knew eller was a good playoff guy. Everyone knew shaw was horribly and disgustingly overvalued.

Many, many gms could have built a cup contender starting with Patches, Subban, price and a 3rd overall pick.

I think Shaw was a decent player but he was going to be done before 30 like Gallagher due to injuries (concussions in Shaw's case).

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
All teams had to play under same rules. Bottom line is Berg's got to Cup finals others didn't. Yes, Subban younger player but team lacked leadership. He was disgruntled in dressing room. Bergs addressed it with Weber which paid off in aces during Toronto series.

The core of this team going forward is Bergevin doings. Caufield, Suzuki, Guhle, Wifi, Montembeault. In three years Hughes has added very little
The team immediately became bad after we got Weber.

We had an extremely embarrassing first round exit in the first season then back to back misses and then the two Covid years.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I think Shaw was a decent player but he was going to be done before 30 like Gallagher due to injuries (concussions in Shaw's case).
Gave up debrincat and Girard for him. Timmins even said those were his picks before they'd even blown up in the NHL. On the return trade we got Mysak.

We basically leased shaw for picks in a strong draft with a returned down payment in weak drafts.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
I don't know how anyone can defend MB. The guy just didn't get it. I hope he's able to help LA turn it around, but I except LA to be outside looking in once Doughty is finished playing hockey.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009

We had an extremely embarrassing first round exit in the first season then back to back misses and then the two Covid years.
Oh I think they were already bad, the year before they traded for weber they had 82 points and finished 6th in division and 13th in the conference.

1st year with weber- yes they lost in 1st round but they got there and won the division with 103 pts.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal

Everyone and their mother except for the team at TSN, the same guys who said Fucale couldn't miss. I suspected, back then, that MB watched too much TV.

Reactions: Runner77

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal

Weber was done by the time we got him. He went full painkiller for the cup run and absolutely finished his body, but he was too injured to play his whole time here.

MB was up and down. He finally had a good offseason before the cup run and he followed it up with a disaster for the ages where all his moves were epically bad.

Monahan produced two firsts, but they may not amount to anything in total. We'll find out in a couple of years, but in any case it's found money, potential assets for nothing. Hughes has done well accumulating picks and the habs, as usual, have made those picks in drafts where the pick value was lower than one could normally expect so far. Longer term he's given the habs a lot of chances to succeed but that doesn't mean that they will.

There is progress, though. A few games this year look like games from last year where the team is just overmatched and can't get out of their own end, but not many. They've been competitive many nights.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I don't know how anyone can defend MB. The guy just didn't get it. I hope he's able to help LA turn it around, but I except LA to be outside looking in once Doughty is finished playing hockey.
He did an amazing job in helping get PLD for the Kings...............8.5M for a guy who will get 35-40 pts this year..............the Jets are laughing at the Kings.
More at 11 on how amazing MB was.............lol

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Shaw did pretty well that year he was domi's linemate when they had that 96 point year.

Who would have thought they would click so well.

Weber was done by the time we got him. He went full painkiller for the cup run and absolutely finished his body, but he was too injured to play his whole time here.

MB was up and down. He finally had a good offseason before the cup run and he followed it up with a disaster for the ages where all his moves were epically bad.

Monahan produced two firsts, but they may not amount to anything in total. We'll find out in a couple of years, but in any case it's found money, potential assets for nothing. Hughes has done well accumulating picks and the habs, as usual, have made those picks in drafts where the pick value was lower than one could normally expect so far. Longer term he's given the habs a lot of chances to succeed but that doesn't mean that they will.

There is progress, though. A few games this year look like games from last year where the team is just overmatched and can't get out of their own end, but not many. They've been competitive many nights.

Weber had some bouts with injury here, but he didn't really have a significant drop in his game until that final season.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Shaw did pretty well that year he was domi's linemate when they had that 96 point year.

Who would have thought they would click so well.

Weber had some bouts with injury here, but he didn't really have a significant drop in his game until that final season.
Weber had people blow by him in his last seasons in Nashville and that made him available when the habs were looking to trade Subban. He was a great player, and his game wasn't based on foot speed, but his lower body was a mess. It's absolutely amazing that he played at the level he did, and that he could carry Mete despite all that, but he had a tough time those last years.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Leafs were a very tough team to face on first round, despite all the sh*t we can say about the Leafs. Jets just swipe Oilers in 4 games, they were on paper and in reality a typical hard team to face in PO. And Vegas was a good team in 21 and they won the SC in 23. I don't see any difference if Habs faced Boston or Canes in round 1 and 2. More of the same as Leafs and Jets.
That was far from potentially having to face Boston and TB in the first two rounds though.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Tony's podcast have a good point. No centre after Nick S
if Nick goes down, who can centre this team.
thus solid point, they don't need picks that put young guys on this team in 3/4 year. they need help now.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Everyone and their mother except for the team at TSN, the same guys who said Fucale couldn't miss. I suspected, back then, that MB watched too much TV.
Toronto sports network naturally would suggest things that are bad for the Habs.

Reactions: dcyhabs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad