Proposal: Monahan to the Avs

CP4

May 13, 2018
Victoria, BC
Have you ever seen a star-player trade in the NHL? Cause they generally come in two flavors: the hockey trades (like RyJo-Seth, Saad-Panarin, Hanifin-Dougie, etc.); or the futures variety (like Duchene, ROR, Schenn, Nash, etc.).

Now you can argue that moving Monahan just doesn't make sense for you; or that Jost's offensive struggles at Center & Timmins' injury mean that the OP lacks the necessary caliber centerpiece to the package and so argue that Barrie, Makar or the Ottawa pick would have to be in the deal instead...but you can't argue that top 6 Centers never get moved for packages of futures.
I never said that they don't, but we're talking about a good young proven center being traded for late picks and mediocre players. It wouldn't go through in real life.

CP4

May 13, 2018
Victoria, BC
Late picks & mediocre players? The f***?
Yes clearly late picks. As for the mediocre player Tyson Jost falls under this very much so. He might have some potential but I dont even see top 6. Timmins has value but is unproven, so not mediocre but definitely a mediorce package all together.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
...ROR was younger than Monahan is now, when traded to Buffalo by the Avs...

And Buffalo gave up a lot for him. One of their top two forward prospects, one of their top two D prospects, a B+ prospect in Compher, and picks that got you AJ Greer. Um... can we undo that trade? Please?

EDIT: Keep Grigorenko. I just want the rest back.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yes clearly late picks. As for the mediocre player Tyson Jost falls under this very much so. He might have some potential but I dont even see top 6. Timmins has value but is unproven, so not mediocre but definitely a mediorce package all together.

Feel free to argue against the package for lacking a strong enough centerpiece, but there's no need to misrepresent the pieces that are in the proposal.

Reactions: Mergatroidskittle

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
What would it take to get Monahan on the Avs? The Avs need a good 2nd line Center badly to take pressure off of our supernova first line. My offer would be:

Avs 2019 1st
Sens 2019 3rd
Avs 2020 2nd
Tyson Jost
Conor Timmins

For

Sean Monahan

Even guys like Varlamov and Barrie wouldn’t be untouchable for him, but the proposal would obviously need to be adjusted.

replace Timmins with Makar, change the Avs first to "whichever is the better pick between Avs 1st and Sens 1st", and then you've got a deal. You can even keep Jost.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
And Buffalo gave up a lot for him. One of their top two forward prospects, one of their top two D prospects, a B+ prospect in Compher, and picks that got you AJ Greer. Um... can we undo that trade? Please?

EDIT: Keep Grigorenko. I just want the rest back.

Oh, there were a lot of good pieces and I loved the trade at the time...for both teams...but Zads was the only piece who we can call a bluechipper from that package.

And despite my love for him, which goes back to when you first drafted him...I was attending UB at the time & had adopted the Sabres as my 2nd team since I lived a 5 minute bike ride from the arena...I dunno if there's much of an argument that Zads back then was any more of a bluechip prospect than Jost has now. Jost was taken higher in the draft and hasn't had as rough a season as big Nik did right before that trade.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
Monahan is not a guy that the flames would or should want to trade in the slightest. They aren't a rebuilding team. So don't expect them to take a deal we would he happy with. Look for a center from a team not trying to compete right now guys. Or at least one that needs a change of scenery.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Monahan is not a guy that the flames would or should want to trade in the slightest. They aren't a rebuilding team. So don't expect them to take a deal we would he happy with. Look for a center from a team not trying to compete right now guys. Or at least one that needs a change of scenery.

This. Maybe have these conversations around the deadline if the Flames do suck and need a serious change up. But we are 5-5 and people are acting like the sun stopped shining.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Are we getting both Monahan & Gaudreau?

Are we getting MacKinnon? Makar and a probably 8th or 9th overall pick are a very fair price to pay for a 24 year old perennial 30 goal scoring forward in Monahan. And if the Ottawa pick turns out better, well boo hoo, you're a cup contender and you made a trade that benefitted both teams.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Are we getting MacKinnon? Makar and a probably 8th or 9th overall pick are a very fair price to pay for a 24 year old perennial 30 goal scoring forward in Monahan. And if the Ottawa pick turns out better, well boo hoo, you're a cup contender and you made a trade that benefitted both teams.

Makar and/or the Sens 1st could be the difference between winning the cup and contending into mediocrity. Skilled youth on ELCs when timed right is how you win in the cap era.

Monahan is nice, but how does paying a premium for him make the Avs better in the long run?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Yeah, we’re not going to agree on this one. No way Sakic moves a prospect like Makar for Monahan.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

Monahan without Gaudreau is just another 45-50 points C. That doesn’t get you a top D prospect and a top 10 pick.

Reactions: ivanlwan

DropIt

Oct 21, 2009
Red Deer, AB
How much non essential junk can we give up for a teams #1 Center?
Not sure how you can offer less than what Duchene got.

If Calgary is going to move Monahan, on the contract he currently has, either they need both 2019 1st round picks or Makar to be involved

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Just because a few stupid GMs have dealt a package of mediocre assets for a star doesnt mean it is fair or likely to happen. Garbage offer.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
The Ottawa 1st is untouchable, unless it’s like top-10 protected. Getting a, most likely, core player on an ELC is invaluable in today’s NHL.

I don't understand why people come make proposals for other teams' top players and then immediately get defensive when people ask for top assets back. Why make the proposal at all? If a team like the Avs wants the flames' top sniper, what are they actually willing to sacrifice? Especially when a team like the flames isn't currently rebuilding.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I don't understand why people come make proposals for other teams' top players and then immediately get defensive when people ask for top assets back. Why make the proposal at all? If a team like the Avs wants the flames' top sniper, what are they actually willing to sacrifice? Especially when a team like the flames isn't currently rebuilding.

Avs offered a 20 years old former 10th overall, a top 50 D prospects, a 1st, 2nd and 3rd and it’s still not enough for you? These two would be top 3 in your system so I’m not sure what’s your point here

Reactions: Lemonlimey

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Monahan without Gaudreau is just another 45-50 points C. That doesn’t get you a top D prospect and a top 10 pick.

Avs offered a 20 years old former 10th overall, a top 50 D prospects, a 1st, 2nd and 3rd and it’s still not enough for you? These two would be top 3 in your system so I’m not sure what’s your point here

*facepalm*

First, Timmins is not surely better than Kylington, Andersson, Hanifin, or Valimaki, all U23 players in the Flames system. Being a top 50 D prospect means very little. The D prospect the Flames would want back is the one who can be an impact player, and that is Cale Makar.

Second, Jost's draft position doesn't define his value. If he turns out as a decent middle six forward along the lines of Michael Frolik, that does not satisfy a need for the Calgary Flames, even if that's solid value at 10th overall. I like the player. But he's a spare part. The forward the Flames would want back is one with a higher ceiling, someone who can fill the void lost by trading an annual 60+ scorer, and for that we would require the highest possible first round pick and let our own scouting team find that player, ideally but not likely Jack Hughes.

Third, you don't average 30 goals and 34 assists per 82 games for the last four seasons (while being U25) just because you play with a good player. Every good player in the NHL has always had a good linemate. There is no way Monahan isn't a top six forward for the Avalanche, even if he's not as good as Nathan MacKinnon.

Fourth, that first is likely to be a 16th to 27th overall pick. While picks in this range can turn out well, they are usually not that great, - typically ending up as middle six players when they don't altogether bust.

Fifth, when a team is trading away their so-called number one center, the second and third round picks mean zilch. You could throw a dozen second and thirds into the pot and they're still second and thirds.

Finally, just to recap, you are offering middle six forward talent and shot-in-the-dark defense talent for a young perennial 30 goal scorer with term. Yeah, that's not a fair trade and if you don't want to make a fair trade, we don't want to make any trade.

At this point Makar and even your first are magic beans, and while the Flames would make that trade due to the fact that they need those magic beans to work out to step up to the next level while the Avs could use something more proven to round out their roster. Offering spare pieces for a 30/30 player is a sure way to get laughed off the phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
*facepalm*

First, Timmins is not surely better than Kylington, Andersson, Hanifin, or Valimaki, all U23 players in the Flames system. Being a top 50 D prospect means very little. The D prospect the Flames would want back is the one who can be an impact player, and that is Cale Makar.

Second, Jost's draft position doesn't define his value. If he turns out as a decent middle six forward along the lines of Michael Frolik, that does not satisfy a need for the Calgary Flames, even if that's solid value at 10th overall. I like the player. But he's a spare part. The forward the Flames would want back is one with a higher ceiling, someone who can fill the void lost by trading an annual 60+ scorer, and for that we would require the highest possible first round pick and let our own scouting team find that player, ideally but not likely Jack Hughes.

Third, you don't average 30 goals and 34 assists per 82 games for the last four seasons (while being U25) just because you play with a good player. Every good player in the NHL has always had a good linemate. There is no way Monahan isn't a top six forward for the Avalanche, even if he's not as good as Nathan MacKinnon.

Fourth, that first is likely to be a 16th to 27th overall pick. While picks in this range can turn out well, they are usually not that great, - typically ending up as middle six players when they don't altogether bust.

Fifth, when a team is trading away their so-called number one center, the second and third round picks mean zilch. You could throw a dozen second and thirds into the pot and they're still second and thirds.

Finally, just to recap, you are offering middle six forward talent and shot-in-the-dark defense talent for a young perennial 30 goal scorer with term. Yeah, that's not a fair trade and if you don't want to make a fair trade, we don't want to make any trade.

At this point Makar and even your first are magic beans, and while the Flames would make that trade due to the fact that they need those magic beans to work out to step up to the next level while the Avs could use something more proven to round out their roster. Offering spare pieces for a 30/30 player is a sure way to get laughed off the phone.

The fact that you named players ON the roster proves my point. The Flames has no one in their system. Absolutely 0 decent prospects.

Monahan is the the O’Reilly territory (minus the FO and elite defensive game). He’s by no mean a 1C and the Flames last 5 seasons “success” proved that.

I could see Colorado gambling on Ottawa’s 1st for Monahan but there is no chance (0) that they put Makar on the table. Absolutely 0 chances.

You can call Timmins a meh prospect (I disagree) and Jost a bust (he’s only 20) but the kid had 22 points playing C at 19 years old. He’s had a bad start this year but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him put 50 points this year or the next.

If Calgary wants to shake things up and add depth to their roster/future, this would be a good start. Your depth on the bottom 6 and D is a total trash and that needs to be addressed asap.

If you make that Jost + Timmins + 1st + 2nd + 3rd you’ll have a good start to a small and effective retool. Two picks in the top 20 in a C heavy draft along with a young C in Jost is perfect for a team that lacks talent and depth at C

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad