Proposal: Monahan to the Avs

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
I don't understand why people come make proposals for other teams' top players and then immediately get defensive when people ask for top assets back. Why make the proposal at all? If a team like the Avs wants the flames' top sniper, what are they actually willing to sacrifice? Especially when a team like the flames isn't currently rebuilding.
I wasn’t being defensive, I was just explaining why I didn’t include the pick in my proposal. You’re free to disagree with me, but what I included is definitely considered top assets. If you don’t think Varlamov and Barrie are top assets, then I don’t know what to tell you. My original proposal was heavy on futures since Calgary’s prospect pool is probably the worst in the entire NHL. The Avs were in the exact same spot a few years ago and had to trade core pieces in ROR and Duchene to replenish our prospect pool. Now the Avs have a top 10 prospect pool and a pretty good young team to boot.

If Monahan isn’t available, I’d also consider Backlund. You guys have three young centers who need playing time in Monahan, Lindholm, and Bennett. What would you expect in return for him?

lucaseider

Apr 15, 2006
mactown
The fact that you named players ON the roster proves my point. The Flames has no one in their system. Absolutely 0 decent prospects.

Monahan is the the O’Reilly territory (minus the FO and elite defensive game). He’s by no mean a 1C and the Flames last 5 seasons “success” proved that.

I could see Colorado gambling on Ottawa’s 1st for Monahan but there is no chance (0) that they put Makar on the table. Absolutely 0 chances.

You can call Timmins a meh prospect (I disagree) and Jost a bust (he’s only 20) but the kid had 22 points playing C at 19 years old. He’s had a bad start this year but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him put 50 points this year or the next.

If Calgary wants to shake things up and add depth to their roster/future, this would be a good start. Your depth on the bottom 6 and D is a total trash and that needs to be addressed asap.

If you make that Jost + Timmins + 1st + 2nd + 3rd you’ll have a good start to a small and effective retool. Two picks in the top 20 in a C heavy draft along with a young C in Jost is perfect for a team that lacks talent and depth at C

This entire post screams I know absolutely nothing about the flames and to show how stupid my trolling is I'm gonna make myself look dumb.

Reactions: gunnergunther

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Monahan is a 1C on a bubble team at beast. You won’t go far in the playoff with Monahan/Backlund as 1c/2c unless the rest of your team is absolutely elite
Okay well considering this is a Monahan to Avs thread, wouldnt you believe itd be MacKinnon-Monahan? Seems pretty f***ing elite to me.

It seems like youre just trying to shit on Monahan rather than keep to the topic

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Flames would definitely be asking for that Ottawa 1st. Monahan is locked up, we aren't just talking about a rental here.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Okay well considering this is a Monahan to Avs thread, wouldnt you believe itd be MacKinnon-Monahan? Seems pretty ****ing elite to me.

It seems like youre just trying to **** on Monahan rather than keep to the topic

Yup he’s make a solid 2C for the Avs. That’s the key point. s-o-l-i-d 2C.

I ain’t shitting on Monahan. Just being realistic to where he should be on a real contender

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
I wasn’t being defensive, I was just explaining why I didn’t include the pick in my proposal. You’re free to disagree with me, but what I included is definitely considered top assets. If you don’t think Varlamov and Barrie are top assets, then I don’t know what to tell you. My original proposal was heavy on futures since Calgary’s prospect pool is probably the worst in the entire NHL. The Avs were in the exact same spot a few years ago and had to trade core pieces in ROR and Duchene to replenish our prospect pool. Now the Avs have a top 10 prospect pool and a pretty good young team to boot.

If Monahan isn’t available, I’d also consider Backlund. You guys have three young centers who need playing time in Monahan, Lindholm, and Bennett. What would you expect in return for him?

I'm a canucks fan and I dislike the flames. I just don't understand why people are always so adamant that other teams should trade their top assets for a package of spare parts. You intentionally put assets that don't hurt that much to lose in return for an asset that would hurt really bad for the flames, in fact it would obviously signify a rebuild since those assets, if they panned out, wouldn't help for years.

What if I started making proposals for the avs top assets (Mack, rantanen) from the canucks and refused to include our first pick, petey or boeser because its our top assets? Its completely insulting and completely unnecessary.

If I'm the avs and I want to win this year, and I've decided Monahan is the guy we need, I'm going to have to overpay. Sens 1st plus Makar for Monahan and 2nd. Like I said, it has to hurt or its not going to happen (which its not, but for the sake of this discussion that is probably the price)

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Yup he’s make a solid 2C for the Avs. That’s the key point. s-o-l-i-d 2C.

I ain’t ****ting on Monahan. Just being realistic to where he should be on a real contender
No, hed be one of the best 2Cs in the league. Much more than solid. Which is why hed cost a lot

lucaseider

Apr 15, 2006
mactown
Monahan is a 1C on a bubble team at beast. You won’t go far in the playoff with Monahan/Backlund as 1c/2c unless the rest of your team is absolutely elite

Every single thing you said in the quote is garbage. at least stick to what you know. I want a list of all these 30-30 centers that are weak first liners.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
No, hed be one of the best 2Cs in the league. Much more than solid. Which is why hed cost a lot

You gave me whack and then proceeded to agree with me

Every single thing you said in the quote is garbage. at least stick to what you know. I want a list of all these 30-30 centers that are weak first liners.

Best examples are Kadri and Carter from 2 years ago. Solid 30-30 but more suited for a 2nd line role than running the show. I’m not here to shit on the guy but to give an honest opinion. Monahan would be best used as a 2C on a real contender.

Just to be more specific about the point I bring. Trade Kadri 1v1 for Monahan and he’d become Flames #1C. He would still put a 30-30 season and be the Flames #1C. That doesn’t mean it’s where he belong. People on HF are so defensive and offensed when I call something that doesn’t fit their agenda. It’s by no mean a knock on Monahan. Just a realistic view to where he belongs on a team that inspires to win a cup in the near future

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Monahan was also on pace for close to ppg last year prior to his season ending injuries.

He is continuing that pace this year. That 30/30 could turn into 35/35 or 40/40. One things for sure.... he’s consistent with his numbers.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
We will trade gaudreau before trading Monahan. To get us listening on Monahan would take Jost+Ottawa 1st minimum. Add from there.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
We will trade gaudreau before trading Monahan. To get us listening on Monahan would take Jost+Ottawa 1st minimum. Add from there.

How much do you think would actually be added to the Ottawa pick and a bluechipper like Jost? Monahan is the caliber of stud where I'd be open to using the Ottawa pick as the centerpiece of a package for him, but with pieces like Kerfoot, Timmins, etc.; not with another premium asset like Jost. If it's to be Jost & that pick, I dunno how much more one could reasonably expect.

Last edited:

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Bad for the Flames . It not necessary about value . They Flames don't have anyone to replace Monahan . They when thru years of having no centre for Iginla and aren't going to do it again unless the offer knocks their socks off .

Ottawa has been better then expected so far so even if that pick was included Calgary would pass unless it is late in the year and Ottawa is looking like a bottom 3 teams

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Bad for the Flames . It not necessary about value . They Flames don't have anyone to replace Monahan . They when thru years of having no centre for Iginla and aren't going to do it again unless the offer knocks their socks off .

Ottawa has been better then expected so far so even if that pick was included Calgary would pass unless it is late in the year and Ottawa is looking like a bottom 3 teams

That's perfectly reasonable, and why I think the avs have a better shot with teams who have a young 1st line C behind their young franchise guy...like Drae ;-)

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
If we did consider trading Monahan. I would want Calgary boy Cale Makar or I would look elsewhere. Maybe Ottawa’s pick depending if it’s a top 4 pick.

I think some flames fans are in panic mode. But most of us are patient to see how things turn out before trading the guy that scores all the big goals for our team.

Long way from trading Monahan.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Makar, and both 1st's this year still don't cut it for me, Monahan has what? 5 full seasons(74 games +) before this season started he has 404 games played with 291 points whihchis G/A are pretty even, he's had 27+ goals in his last 4 seasons, he's a shooter not a playmaker, he's worth more than makar and 2 1sts imo, whether he's a top line c on our team or a number 2 on another team it'd be a mistake to trade him now

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
30 GWG's with 10 of those in OT, he only has 82 PIM'S in 404 games that's a minor penalty every 10 games, he's a solid player, you'll have to offer something big to get him

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Makar, and both 1st's this year still don't cut it for me, Monahan has what? 5 full seasons(74 games +) before this season started he has 404 games played with 291 points whihchis G/A are pretty even, he's had 27+ goals in his last 4 seasons, he's a shooter not a playmaker, he's worth more than makar and 2 1sts imo, whether he's a top line c on our team or a number 2 on another team it'd be a mistake to trade him now
You wouldn't get Makar straight up for Monahan.

Reactions: cgf

HugeMetalFan

Jul 30, 2015
Why exactly are we discussing trading Monahan? The guy is cornerstone of that franchise. Might as well be discussing trading for Eichel or Matthews - pointless...

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017

You must mean you wouldn't get Monahan for Makar +++ cause why would the flamFl even target him? They'd obviously target a C with top 6 potential and a G who's ready to step up or is already a starter, Makar does nothing for the Flames, I'd keep the guy who can score 27+ goals a season, hes only 24 has room to grow and is already a great player, he's a game changer when the game is in the final stages, he has 30 GAME WINNING GOALS vs a guy who's played how many games in the hardest league to play in?

treple13

Sep 1, 2013

You are right, as the Flames would laugh at that and hang up. Great prospects don't have the same worth as great players.

To be completely honest, the list of assets the Avs currently have that I would accept for Monahan are: MacKinnon or Rantanen. I wouldn't be giving up Monahan for any other piece since no other piece can be Calgary's #1C right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad