Proposal: Monahan to the Avs

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
What would it take to get Monahan on the Avs? The Avs need a good 2nd line Center badly to take pressure off of our supernova first line. My offer would be:

Avs 2019 1st
Sens 2019 3rd
Avs 2020 2nd
Tyson Jost
Conor Timmins

For

Sean Monahan

Even guys like Varlamov and Barrie wouldn’t be untouchable for him, but the proposal would obviously need to be adjusted.

CP4

May 13, 2018
Victoria, BC
What would it take to get Monahan on the Avs? The Avs need a good 2nd line Center badly to take pressure off of our supernova first line. My offer would be:

Avs 2019 1st
Sens 2019 3rd
Avs 2020 2nd
Tyson Jost
Conor Timmins

For

Sean Monahan

Even guys like Varlamov and Barrie wouldn’t be untouchable for him, but the proposal would obviously need to be adjusted.
Replace the Avs 2019 first with the Ottawa 2019 first and you might have something.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
A second line centre doesn't return a mid-range 1st, a 2nd, a 3rd, a prospective second line centre you're giving up on and a guy who hasn't been outside in five months.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

CP4

May 13, 2018
Victoria, BC
Lmao that would be such an overpayment
Not really no, the Avs first will likely be quite late in the round. Tyson Jost is an ok player but seems to be more of a 3rd liner, and Timmins is fine but proved nothing in the NHL. Monahan is young and pretty much guaranteed to get you at least 30-30 every year.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
What would it take to get Nathan MacKinnon to the Flames? 2019 1st, 2019 3rd, 2020 2nd, Kylington, Dube.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Not really no, the Avs first will likely be quite late in the round. Tyson Jost is an ok player but seems to be more of a 3rd liner, and Timmins is fine but proved nothing in the NHL. Monahan is young and pretty much guaranteed to get you at least 30-30 every year.

Both Jost and Timmins are younger and their ceiling are super high. Add to that a 1st, 2nd and 3rd and it’s pretty fair IMO.

What would it take to get Nathan MacKinnon to the Flames? 2019 1st, 2019 3rd, 2020 2nd, Kylington, Dube.

You’re comparing an MVP C to a 1B - 2C center? Cool.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Not really worth it unless the Flames are getting a big return back. Jost + 1st doesn't really benefit the Flames

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Both Jost and Timmins are younger and their ceiling are super high. Add to that a 1st, 2nd and 3rd and it’s pretty fair IMO.

You’re comparing an MVP C to a 1B - 2C center? Cool.

Hahaha did you just seriously compare Monahan with MacKinnon!? MacK is an a completely different stratosphere than Monahan!

Actually no, I miss read the op I thought it said 2 3rds so I upped one to a 2nd for the low ball offer he sent

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Well then good luck trying to get a really good young center without paying up. You can't just trade a bunch of lesser pieces for one really good piece.
Duchene, Turris, ROR, Schenn, Karlsson, McDonagh, and Skinner were all acquired in the last year without giving up a teams (at the time) best or even second best young players/prospects. The Avs don’t have to give up a piece like the Ottawa first to get a second line Center (not saying Monahan is a second liner or that Calgary would be remotely interested in trading him). They just have to be patient until a player asks for a trade or is a UFA in the next two years to get them for cheap value. Teams in the NHL don’t knowingly give up huge value in terms of future assets seemingly no matter who it is. ROR/Schenn couldn’t get Kyrou/Thomas, Turris couldn’t get Tolvanen/Fabbro (Girard is great now but didn’t have that value at the time), Duchene couldn’t get White/Brown/Chabot (the 1st didn’t look so amazing at the time), Karlsson couldn’t get Meier/Hertl, McDonagh couldn’t get Foote/Sergachev, etc. It’s the way teams have been operating lately.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Well then good luck trying to get a really good young center without paying up. You can't just trade a bunch of lesser pieces for one really good piece.

Have you ever seen a star-player trade in the NHL? Cause they generally come in two flavors: the hockey trades (like RyJo-Seth, Saad-Panarin, Hanifin-Dougie, etc.); or the futures variety (like Duchene, ROR, Schenn, Nash, etc.).

Now you can argue that moving Monahan just doesn't make sense for you; or that Jost's offensive struggles at Center & Timmins' injury mean that the OP lacks the necessary caliber centerpiece to the package and so argue that Barrie, Makar or the Ottawa pick would have to be in the deal instead...but you can't argue that top 6 Centers never get moved for packages of futures.

Last edited:

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
Duchene, Turris, ROR, Schenn, Karlsson, McDonagh, and Skinner were all acquired in the last year without giving up a teams (at the time) best or even second best young players/prospects. The Avs don’t have to give up a piece like the Ottawa first to get a second line Center (not saying Monahan is a second liner or that Calgary would be remotely interested in trading him). They just have to be patient until a player asks for a trade or is a UFA in the next two years to get them for cheap value. Teams in the NHL don’t knowingly give up huge value in terms of future assets seemingly no matter who it is. ROR/Schenn couldn’t get Kyrou/Thomas, Turris couldn’t get Tolvanen/Fabbro (Girard is great now but didn’t have that value at the time), Duchene couldn’t get White/Brown/Chabot (the 1st didn’t look so amazing at the time), Karlsson couldn’t get Meier/Hertl, McDonagh couldn’t get Foote/Sergachev, etc. It’s the way teams have been operating lately.

And none of those comparable are as young as Monahan. No reason for Calgary to move him for a collection of lesser pieces and given his years of control and pedigree, the Ottawa 1st is definitely not off the table.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
And none of those comparable are as young as Monahan. No reason for Calgary to move him for a collection of lesser pieces and given his years of control and pedigree, the Ottawa 1st is definitely not off the table.

...ROR was younger than Monahan is now, when traded to Buffalo by the Avs...

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Like I said, Monahan is a bad fit, Calgary has no reason to trade him, if anything they need another Monahan. I’m speaking more in general, the Avs can get that good 2C without giving up a piece as valuable as the Ottawa 1st. I honestly can’t even remember the last time a team traded away a future asset as valuable as that pick is. Maybe the Caps with Forsberg.

Reactions: MisterT

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'd move that Ottawa pick if it was top 3 protected.

I'd call Edmonton and Florida about Drae & Tro first...but yeah Monahan is in the tier of young Centers that I'd be open to including the Sens pick for.

Though if we were to include the Sens pick, Jost would have to come out of the package...if not those later picks as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad