Value of: Monahan to NYR

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
So like Zibanijad? If they need a 1C so bad they should 100% trade down to #2OA

Zibanejad*

And the point of the thread was to make a trade that would allow the Rangers to have a 1-2 punch of Zibanejad and Strome.

The poster you quoted is referring to the Flames needs, not the Rangers.

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
Nope, trading Monahan means a rebuild so DeAngelo is useless. The ask would be Nils + 1st (CAR) + cap dump + like Buch for Monahan and pick/prospect

I could potentially get behind a package like that but think the Rangers would prefer to hang onto Nils.

What about Buch + Georgiev + Carolina 1st for Monahan? No cap dump necessary and no additional pick/prospect coming from the Flames

Reactions: bernmeister

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Nope. Not a fan of DeAngelo at all. No interest. If you want to talk Fox I'd be interested in him. It would be pretty funny to see him shipped to Calgary after refusing to sign with them.
Hysterical or not, Fox is not on the table.

Nope, trading Monahan means a rebuild so DeAngelo is useless. The ask would be Nils + 1st (CAR) + cap dump + like Buch for Monahan and pick/prospect
Nils is not on the table.
And while I would prefer Buch + CAR 2020 1st elsewhere in other deals, I would listen with an open mind, assuming we could flip Monahan. However, I don't expect your third piece will be something NY can consider, and I am expecting return in 2 sep deals to be more long term than what Monahan delivers short term.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I don't see them on the Rangers. Primary need is a #1C who is better than Monahan.

This is the part that is interesting to me, because I think it will be incredibly difficult to even find something close to this. So when there are no options like this available what do they choose to do?

My guess is that they will just end up trading JG and trying to give Hall big $$ but this CGY team is in a really difficult spot.

Bond

May 10, 2012
What about Buch + Georgiev + Carolina 1st for Monahan? No cap dump necessary and no additional pick/prospect coming from the Flames
Still just boils down to the fact that Flames cannot trade Monahan unless they get a top 6 center elsewhere. Flames without Monahan have Backlund as their #1 and Bennett as their #2.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
This is just flat out wrong.

Zibanejad being a worse finisher than Monahan despite scoring 41 goals in 57 games this season is a mind boggling take.

MZ has less goals in more games played. This is a fact not an opinion.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Are you implying that players cannot evolve their games over time?

Zibanejad is a vastly superior player to Monahan since he assumed first line responsibilities with the Rangers.
Sure they can. They can also have the best winger in the game come and play with them. At Monahan's age MZ had never scored 50 points and was a -23.

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
Sure they can. They can also have the best winger in the game come and play with them. At Monahan's age MZ had never scored 50 points and was a -23.

Okay I already kind of figured you don’t watch Zibanejad or the Rangers play but now it’s obvious.

Zibanejad plays with Kreider and Buchnevich.
He spends almost no time whatsoever with Panarin at ES.

Monahan, meanwhile plays with Gaudreau and Lindholm almost exclusively.

Ledge And Dairy

Hysterical or not, Fox is not on the table.

Nils is not on the table.
And while I would prefer Buch + CAR 2020 1st elsewhere in other deals, I would listen with an open mind, assuming we could flip Monahan. However, I don't expect your third piece will be something NY can consider, and I am expecting return in 2 sep deals to be more long term than what Monahan delivers short term.
Flames don't want Fox back, bad blood. You can keep him.

As for the other part. Nils is most certainly on the table for Monahan. Acquiring SM means you are looking to start winning now, Nils is not only blocked by your RD depth but not NHL ready. Like I said the concept of trading Monahan is strictly for a tank and rebuild so the ask from NYR will have to 100% include Lundkvist. The idea that you guys are saying he's not available is hilarious to me since he hasn't proven anything and should not be valued higher than Jake Bean.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Okay I already kind of figured you don’t watch Zibanejad or the Rangers play but now it’s obvious.

Zibanejad plays with Kreider and Buchnevich.
He spends almost no time whatsoever with Panarin at ES.

Monahan, meanwhile plays with Gaudreau and Lindholm almost exclusively.

False. His most frequent linemate was Panarin. Panarin played for a long stretch with Strome, but Zibanejad spent more time on the ice with Panarin than anyone else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad