Post-Game Talk: Mon, Oct. 3 | Rangers 3 vs Flyers 4 (OT) | Preseason Game 6

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I agree Vesey should not of turned. It is how these kids are coached now and I hate it. this is becoming more and more common place for kids to turn and try and draw the penalty.
I think it was borderline whether Gudas had time to let up. it is close IMO.
tomorrows game ought to be fun.

It's like they say, the more you worry about getting hurt and try to avoid it, the more likely you are to actually get hurt.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I don't see how he could have let up, yes the DOPS probably makes a bigger deal out of it if Vesey is hurt (which is a problem by itself, suspensions shouldn't depend on the result but instead 100% on the action), and if it was on a Flyers player I'd be more annoyed that he was doing stupid **** when he should know how to protect himself (and that sure as **** isn't it). Also, past history shouldn't matter until you've already deemed him guilty. It should be used to decide severity of punishment, not if there should be one in the first place.

Given Gudas' momentum and trajectory, do you believe that he was assessing how to neutralize Vesey's options to take the puck to the net and/or make a pass, or do you believe he was looking to check Vesey into the 4th row? I agree that Gudas had insufficient time/space to avoid the hit or minimize it once Vesey started his reversal; my issue is that Gudas was taking a path to inflict damage on Vesey, particularly given the speed with which he was closing.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Given Gudas' momentum and trajectory, do you believe that he was assessing how to neutralize Vesey's options to take the puck to the net and/or make a pass, or do you believe he was looking to check Vesey into the 4th row? I agree that Gudas had insufficient time/space to avoid the hit or minimize it once Vesey started his reversal; my issue is that Gudas was taking a path to inflict damage on Vesey, particularly given the speed with which he was closing.

That's the problem with Gudas: he tries to maximize damage with every hit.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Oh yeah, I'm 100% sure his goal was to hit him as hard as he could and cause pain, not make a cerebral defensive play. But hitting someone really hard isn't against the rules and isn't suspendable, so that's why I don't have an issue with it.

If he came at the guy and it was obvious that the only way he could hit him was in an illegal way, then there's a problem. But it was a legal hit until 1 second before contact, where it was Vesey who changed it from legal to illegal and Gudas didn't have enough time to stop.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Oh yeah, I'm 100% sure his goal was to hit him as hard as he could and cause pain, not make a cerebral defensive play. But hitting someone really hard isn't against the rules and isn't suspendable, so that's why I don't have an issue with it.

If he came at the guy and it was obvious that the only way he could hit him was in an illegal way, then there's a problem. But it was a legal hit until 1 second before contact, where it was Vesey who changed it from legal to illegal and Gudas didn't have enough time to stop.

I know it was a legal hit in the making. I'm getting soft in my old age, though, especially with the advances in knowledge about concussion damage. Like I lectured on the main board, I don't enjoy the big hits like I did as a young 'un.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I know it was a legal hit in the making. I'm getting soft in my old age, though, especially with the advances in knowledge about concussion damage. Like I lectured on the main board, I don't enjoy the big hits like I did as a young 'un.

I wouldn't say that you're getting soft, it's not like I'm over here celebrating the hit. All I'm saying is it didn't deserve a suspension (based on what has previously been ruled legal and illegal). I don't even mind the penalty for it.

I'd rather he didn't do it, not because I thought it was illegal or dirty or anything like that, but instead because it risks him being taken out of the game for multiple games if the inconsistent-as-**** DOPS flips their coin decides it was suspension worthy. I'd rather play it safe and make sure he's available to play when we need him. It's not like he's a no skill goon who's only good for hitting, as Rags fans seem to believe.

To be honest I'm fairly indifferent to big hits. Only time I'd get overly excited about it is if it was on a player I hate or if I'm especially annoyed at previous events in the same game and I just want to watch the world burn. Otherwise I kinda just groan and pessimistically assume "here comes a suspension".

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I like big hits, but not to hurt, which is why I applaud the NFL rule changes, there's nothing wrong with clean hits.
Gudas just has to use common sense, when it's borderline, pull up a little for cosmetic (i.e. refs) reasons.

Lubyimov had it right, he got hit his first shift and said it was a wake up call, keep your head up and stay in the game. Things go faster in NA.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Akanon sent me a GIF that I could start/stop, based on my breakdown he had minimum .5 seconds to stop maximum .8 seconds.

Not sure if that's physically even possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad