Post-Game Talk: Mon, Oct. 3 | Rangers 3 vs Flyers 4 (OT) | Preseason Game 6

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If TK gets sent back without at least a 3 game trial then I might actually start to worry a little. I don't think it sends a great message that you can walk into camp and put on a show for two years in a row without even being given a fair look.

Hextall has been pretty adamant that nobody is ever getting the 9-game trial.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
If TK is sent down, I wouldn't be worried at all. He's shown us what he can do here, and it has been very good but in the eyes of management it may have not been enough. He then goes down and dominates juniors, becomes a big part of Team Canada for the WJC, and then comes into camp next year where he will make it barring injury/downward turn into development

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
If TK gets sent back without at least a 3 game trial then I might actually start to worry a little. I don't think it sends a great message that you can walk into camp and put on a show for two years in a row without even being given a fair look for a few NHL games.

To be fair, Hakstol has made it very clear it's not a points thing. It's overall play. Schenn did well on the score sheet, if I recall correctly, last preseason but he had to get out of the dog house still because of overall play. You can play average and still pot a goal or get an assist. It's the first part that's more sustainable. I want to see TK stick, but I know Hakstol and Hextall are looking at a lot more than opportune scoring. He needs to clean up his d zone exits and make himself more effective at 5 v 5 offensively, and not just on the couple flashy plays. I thought he did it in the 3rd. I hope he gets the rest of preseason to keep doing it. He deserves that.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Laughton just isn't the same player anymore, I don't want to call him a bust because theres still plenty of time but maybe he needs to go to LV to find his game

he has developed slower than I would of hoped that is for sure. He really doesn't add anything to this team right now does he? You also have to wonder if he sees the writing on the wall with all these guys who have been brought in for bottom 6 ice time.

I hate to say it but he may not find his game here. He is a good kid and I am rooting for him but I don't know man. He really could not get the ice time to work on his game. I know Weal will have to clear waivers, but does Laughton have to go thru waivers as well?

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
he has developed slower than I would of hoped that is for sure. He really doesn't add anything to this team right now does he? You also have to wonder if he sees the writing on the wall with all these guys who have been brought in for bottom 6 ice time.

I hate to say it but he may not find his game here. He is a good kid and I am rooting for him but I don't know man. He really could not get the ice time to work on his game. I know Weal will have to clear waivers, but does Laughton have to go thru waivers as well?

Unless something has changed I think he still has one year or 53 games, whichever comes first, before he must clear waivers.

For reference: http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2009/11/26/1174855/waivers-101-a-guide-to-the-nhl

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

It's in part a numbers game with Laughts and in part his own performance putting him on the wrong side of that numbers game. Lindblom could very well just skip the AHL and be a Flyer next season. If it's not this season, then it's the next with TK. It's possible Weise for example is taken in expansion, but with the talent filtering in, Flyers won't miss a beat (Raffl-Cousins-Lindblom would be something). At that point maybe Laughts will have a chance for a 4th line spot, but again, there's plenty of guys competing for those spots.

It really may be the best thing to do to just send him down. I'm quite sure he could do well in the AHL. At that point, with expansion coming, maybe he could be sold at a good rate still. He hasn't lost that 1st round sheen...yet. But his hockey sense just seems questionable in all zones. Like you said, even if he finds his game, it just seems apparent that it won't be here.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
What is Laughton game? Is it a confidence thing, is it that he was a kid in a mans body in Jr, a bit of both?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
What is Laughton game? Is it a confidence thing, is it that he was a kid in a mans body in Jr, a bit of both?

Some guys just struggle to adapt to the speed of the NHL & he seems to be one of them. However nothing really he did at the lower levels seemed suggest this would be a problem but it just happens to players some times.

tuckrr

Nov 28, 2008
Some guys just struggle to adapt to the speed of the NHL & he seems to be one of them. However nothing really he did at the lower levels seemed suggest this would be a problem but it just happens to players some times.

Jesus people have more memory loss on here than Laughton probably does.. Does no one remember the multiple scary concussions to this very young player? He may be done, maybe he just lost his confidence, or maybe he's still physically suffering from PCS..
Either way I'd send him to the AHL until he gets his groove back.

(Not trying to single you out btw, I just hit reply)

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Jesus people have more memory loss on here than Laughton probably does.. Does no one remember the multiple scary concussions to this very young player? He may be done, maybe he just lost his confidence, or maybe he's still physically suffering from PCS..
Either way I'd send him to the AHL until he gets his groove back.

(Not trying to single you out btw, I just hit reply)

I think enough time has passed to rule that out as the root cause. If it was still an issue that damaging I doubt he's playing right now. I will say the amount of injuries he's piled up (not just concussions) probably hasn't helped matters though.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I thought Morin was excellent outside of the brutal turnover. Laughton looks lost. Provorov is a steady as they come.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Dear Lord, is that main board thread on Gudas' hit ever a bait...

Last edited by a moderator:

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Jimmy Vesey got introduced to Radko Gudas. It happens. It's more like a mandatory safety instructions in a private lesson.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hextall has been pretty adamant that nobody is ever getting the 9-game trial.

I feel like the trial will only happen if they think someone is ready to play the full season, but then quickly realize they made a mistake.

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
This is going to be a very frustrating roster decision because of the Schenn situation, and now possibly Gudas, depending upon if he gets any regular season games. It'll be impossible to know if the roster for the first 3 games is how they're going to continue on in the season or if it will be temporary.

In relation to guys on the bubble, I've got the following thoughts:

- Laughton
I really didn't think he was as bad as others thought in the earlier preseason games, and he was doing some good work backchecking and was more defensively responsible than I remember in years past. But he was invisible yesterday, and flubbed an opportunity from Schenn as he was entering the zone. He's likely headed back to the Phantoms.

- Cousins
He's showing good energy and is noticeable on the ice, but he looks like he's being pushed around more than he was last year. I could see him playing wing on the 3rd line, but that's about the only slot I see him fitting into.

- Konecny
I think some people are overrating his game yesterday. Yes, he's playing out of position, but he really was pretty much invisible out there for the first two periods at even strength - although I was watching him steadily on each shift, so I guess that counteracts the "invisibility." That being said, the value on the man advantage and in the third period, along with other stints this preseason, shows that he's already better than Laughton, Read, Cousins, and probably Raffl. He's the guy most capable of fitting into that last spot in the top 6, but I'm not sure if it will happen.

- Weal
I thought he was awful in the first two games I saw him in. He was getting pushed off the puck, couldn't handle the puck in the neutral zone, etc. He does look at home on the power play and seems confident with the puck, but he's too one-dimensional and easily stymied at even strength. I'd prefer that he played in the AHL, just because I don't see a roster spot for him, other than possibly 3C, which I'd rather he wasn't slotted in at.

- Lyubimov
I like his play and tenacity, but he looked pretty worn down by the third period, which is concerning for a guy who played like 12 minutes. He's drawn a couple of penalties this preseason and keeps his skates moving, which is nice and I would like him as the 4th line left wing, but I'm not sure he makes the cut.

- Read
As others have mentioned, I have to think that Hextall is trying to deal him, but can't find any takers. He's borderline useless, although he looked good on the PK, and he's being paid like a very good middle six player. I'm hoping he's in the press box the majority of the season, but we'll see.

- Provorov
I have to imagine he's a lock at this point.

- Morin
I thought he looked great in the first two periods - minus two bad plays on 2-on-1s that MacDonald left him out to dry on. He's got to commit to either the shooter or to the pass (ideally to the pass) but he was indecisive both times and ended up letting the pass through. That's a good coaching moment for him, but was something to watch. I think he goes back to the AHL, but he's the first guy called up due to injury or trade.

If I had my way, the lineup would turn out like so:
Schenn--Giroux--Simmonds
Konecny--Couturier--Voracek
Cousins--Raffl--Weise
Lyubimov--Gordon--Bellemare
Read, Vandevelde or Weal

Del Zotto--Gostisbehere
Provorov--Gudas
MacDonald--Streit
Schultz

I'd be OK with Morin being penciled in at MacDonald's position as well, but I do see the value of some more time in the AHL for him.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I thought Laughton made a good play in the 1st to push the puck into the OZ and then used his speed to skate after it, but he got mugged without the puck by two Rags with no call. It was like a playoff game from 1999.

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
http://www.broadstreethockey.com/20...-from-yet-another-impressive-game-by-the-kids

Good write up again by Charlie.

I'd be shocked if Provorov is sent back, he's probably been the best dman in every game.

Charlie also wrote a great article on 9/27 regarding Provo making the team. In the article he also compared the advanced stats of Schultz, AMac, and Manning, and basically came to the conclusion that Manning should be seen ahead of the other two.

I think everyone here needs to read it. It doesn't say Manning is a Norris Trophy winner, but he would be just fine as our number 6 D to start the season. Plus, AMac went back to his old self somewhat last night, so the door is cracked for Manning(if he has solid performances the next two games).

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Charlie also wrote a great article on 9/27 regarding Provo making the team. In the article he also compared the advanced stats of Schultz, AMac, and Manning, and basically came to the conclusion that Manning should be seen ahead of the other two.

I think everyone here needs to read it. It doesn't say Manning is a Norris Trophy winner, but he would be just fine as our number 6 D to start the season. Plus, AMac went back to his old self somewhat last night, so the door is cracked for Manning(if he has solid performances the next two games).

That's simply because Amac & Schultz are very poor possession d-men.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The good news is Hextall actually has to make decisions.

Provorov is a no-brainer, and the fact he's playing so many minutes tells me the decision has already been made, and what they're really doing is have him play different roles (LHD, RDH, PK, PP) with different people because he's the guy they'll move around when the inevitable injuries occur. He'll be our best D-man by January, including Ghost.

Morin could play with the team if they wanted to live with his mistakes, he's Chara-lite with that reach but he can actually skate. He's not a tough guy but is physical in crowded areas, Coburn was similar. Getting more confident on offense. He'll be sent down until Hextall finds a taker for Shultz and/or Streit, probably when some injuries strike around the league. Once he comes up it'll be to play every night.

Konecky is a tough call, either top 6 or juniors. He could play now, but could he play at a high enough level to play on a top line every night?

Cousins over Weal, the waiver thing, but also the two are very similar, Weal has elevated his play but Cousins has more grit.

Luby might get sent down if they can't move Read, he's ready on short-term duty but they might want him to get more experience and hit the weight room before they give him a regular job on the 4th line.

Leier is also ready, but where do you play him right now?

Does Laughton deserve a roster spot? If he's not the 3rd line LW, does he fit anywhere else?

The good news is that the Phantoms should be stocked with NHL caliber callups, and not marginal guys this year. And even if they lose a player or two in the expansion draft, next year's decisions will be tougher with guys like Myers, Sanheim, Lindblom and AK looking for a steady job.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
No Gudas hearing, so he's in the clear to start the season. Morin will most likely be sent down now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad