News Article: Molson's interview about Weber's injury, Rebuild, Future and more

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
This roster is worse than it was last year, but with that last comment I feel like if we are in the position we're in last year that's it for Bergevin.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
The rebuild is a PR thingy. Can't say that with out hurting ticket sales.

Which is dumb, because people already aren't showing up and know this team will be flaming garbage next year. Does he sincerely think that him not saying the word rebuild but reset actually encourages anyone to go to the games? It's either that or he actually believes what he's uttering. Both options are damning.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
This roster is worse than it was last year, but with that last comment I feel like if we are in the position we're in last year that's it for Bergevin.

I don't even think Bergevin finishes the season, or possibly even 2018. I think a bad first half does him in. But still, like Therrien, that it's taking this long for a richly deserved firing is incompetence at its worst. Everyone knows how this will end.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I never listen to soundbites because I know what soundbites become after they're fully digested.

I just wonder if we'll ever hit the point where Molson keeps his public role to the absolute minimum or publicly acknowledges the team's consistent failings. He has to know the city can't stand him or his guys at this point.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I don't even think Bergevin finishes the season, or possibly even 2018. I think a bad first half does him in. But still, like Therrien, that it's taking this long for a richly deserved firing is incompetence at its best. Everyone knows how this will end.
Thing is who replaces Bergevin if we fire him mid-season? If you plan on canning him, do you want an interim handling the trade deadline? Or do you want MB potentially handling it? Do you reach out to Tampa to get BriseBois to join mid-season (if that's even possible)?

I mean, if we're out of it i'm sure Timmins can handle an interim role and handle the TDL and trading assets for draft picks (candy to him), but I don't recall too often seeing a GM fired mid-season. It's more common for coaches.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016

Canadiens president Molson says team is better after Subban trade

"P.K. is a bigger-than-life person on and off the ice and our fans love him and still will love him.
"I appreciate that, but I also appreciate what I’ve hired (general manager) Marc Bergevin to do and that is to make our team better. I’m confident he’s done that.

Molson approved it all.
"Marc Bergevin works to make our team better and all the work he’s done this spring to improve our team has been 100 per cent supported by me," said Molson. "That’s what I pay him for — to make our team better.

"I’m looking forward to seeing the evolved team on the ice and I think our fans will really appreciate the improvements."

He approves everything Bergevin says and does because Bergevin is a good talker and if he can convince the fans that things are going to be good, then it's perfect. Saying he is confident in Bergevin is a plus for people to believe Bergevin is doing a great job.... As long as sales are good, I believe Bergevin will stay... unless they get into an UGLY slump, which is not impossible. We'll see at training camp.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Thing is who replaces Bergevin if we fire him mid-season? If you plan on canning him, do you want an interim handling the trade deadline? Or do you want MB potentially handling it? Do you reach out to Tampa to get BriseBois to join mid-season (if that's even possible)?

I mean, if we're out of it i'm sure Timmins can handle an interim role and handle the TDL and trading assets for draft picks (candy to him), but I don't recall too often seeing a GM fired mid-season. It's more common for coaches.

I would see Timmins or a select group of executives sharing the duties and handling the deadline, which will likely involve reading the market and offloading a couple of veterans for picks. I agree that GMs usually don't get fired mid-season - although it does happen sometimes - but I think Molson knows this has reached a critical point and he might have to do so to appease the flames. With that said, what do I know? Nothing suggests Molson is an astute man. He just might keep him for the long haul. I just try to read between the lines - because I don't think Molson actually speaks like a politician, he's relatively open, but he's just dumb - and saying publically that your GM hasn't done a good job recently shouldn't augur well for his longevity.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
He approves everything Bergevin says and does because Bergevin is a good talker and if he can convince the fans that things are going to be good, then it's perfect. Saying he is confident in Bergevin is a plus for people to believe Bergevin is doing a great job.... As long as sales are good, I believe Bergevin will stay... unless they get into an UGLY slump, which is not impossible. We'll see at training camp.

Nobody believes Bergevin is doing a good job. And Molson has never convinced the fans of anything. That's why the team is always getting bashed in the media and their social media updates tend to be a cesspool of insults directed at them.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Useless and nothing. Isn't any insight or anything new in there.

Same stuff we have been hearing. Last year was tough, this year will be better, changes are coming.

Just ignore it and let the team bottom out. The only line that has any importance is when he says he doesn't like the word rebuild.

Molson is a grovler. Don't expect him to change his spots. He is always going to go on about the same thing over and over again. Luckily someone posted his other quotes and nothing has changed.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Kind of. The other concern is that the fanbase becomes too belligerent. Molson can fudge the numbers to keep the sellout streak going if he wanted to, but he can't hide fans getting cranky.

Toronto pre-rebuild were getting technical sellouts, but they also had Jersey's on the ice, paper-bag masks and the waffle incident. Among other things.

I'm certainly not advocating doing any of that or targeting players that are trying there best to win, but in big markets fan outrage boiling over and becoming a distraction is as much of concern as apathy. Because advertisers don't like it when there's a negative connection to a brand they're attaching themselves to.

Reactions: Amerika and Fixxer

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't believe Molson is delusional, I think he's just continuing to give Hab fans the middle finger and saying what the f*** are you going to do about, shut up and buy tickets, buy Hab merch, buy my shitty beer. So what are most Hab fans going to do, buy tickets, watch games, while Molson swims around in piles of money and MB works the phones trying to "make us better".

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Kind of. The other concern is that the fanbase becomes too belligerent. Molson can fudge the numbers to keep the sellout streak going if he wanted to, but he can't hide fans getting cranky.

Toronto pre-rebuild were getting technical sellouts, but they also had Jersey's on the ice, paper-bag masks and the waffle incident. Among other things.

I'm certainly not advocating doing any of that or targeting players that are trying there best to win, but in big markets fan outrage boiling over and becoming a distraction is as much of concern as apathy. Because advertisers don't like it when there's a negative connection to a brand they're attaching themselves to.
I agree. Fans in Montreal haven't showed much desirion to the team, Price had an occasional taste of some fans (À la Roy, hands in the air). If the fans start to wear bags (like MANY fans) and throw stuff on the ice etc, it could get ugly fast. I'm not sure Montreal can challenge much with... Toronto.. Boston... Buffalo at this point... Ottawa, barely, as Ottawa is diving too... anyway, I still enjoy the whole thing, but man are some teams ahead and some in hope of talent.... Molson and Bergevin praying for a Training Camp "surprise" with a Hot Prospect!

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
The moment Geoff Molson took over ownership and started running the Habs again was the worst thing that could've ever happened to the Habs. Sad to see the state the Habs have become in the past few years. :(
what year was that?

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I don't believe Molson is delusional, I think he's just continuing to give Hab fans the middle finger and saying what the **** are you going to do about, shut up and buy tickets, buy Hab merch, buy my ****ty beer. So what are most Hab fans going to do, buy tickets, watch games, while Molson swims around in piles of money and MB works the phones trying to "make us better".

I don't know, there was an article in the Gazette a couple of days ago that claimed that about 500 pairs of season tickets were currently available. Has that actually ever happened before? I was always under the impression that there were long waiting lists of season tickets. And empty seats could be seen through the Bell Center last year. I don't know, I know the point gets made a lot - that Habs fans always show up - but I always thought Montreal was a market where people didn't sell out for a mismanaged franchise.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Hey gang, Canucks fan here! My wife had our third child today and I saw Weber visiting in the perinatal ward in Kelowna general hospital.

He's on crutches and a wicked knee brace but physically looks great. If he let's it heal properly and gives it all the time it needs I think he can return to his from from a couple of years ago.

You got all that from a 1 minute (max) glimpse?

Bergevin should hire you the way you jump through hoops.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
We are frustrated as to why Bergevin is not fired and then we read what Geoff Molson has to say and it all becomes clear. I hope that someday things will be better and we can be proud of our team again and the people that run it but that day is not today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad