News Article: Molson's interview about Weber's injury, Rebuild, Future and more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Brendan Kelly: 'I'm excited about the future,' Geoff Molson says of Habs

Here's some of the quotes:

About Weber's injury and the timing of the announcement:
“We were honestly not ready at that point,” said Molson, in a phone interview Friday. “The reason we put Dr. (David) Mulder up in front of the media was because he went through the process. … It was important for us to make sure that we understood from the doctor who operated the severity of it and length of time (of convalescence). It’s not a positive thing for the Weber family either and it was important to align with the Weber family on how we wanted to announce it and when. And then we were really busy and distracted. We had a draft to do. We had unrestricted free agents to talk to and we still do. We could’ve waited even longer to announce the Weber thing because Marc is still on the phone 15/20 hours a day, fielding calls or making calls. It’s an important period for us. So this was something we decided. That it can wait because it could.”

About the team not making a lot of change so far
“I think what I said is we’re going to make some changes and we’re going to adjust our approach so we are better,” Molson said. “I never said ‘now.’ I said ‘we are better period, now and in the long term’ … we’re trying our best. We’re trying to put the best possible team forward, but at the same time we’re not mortgaging the future to do that. The time is now to make changes and we’ve made some and there may be more coming.”

About the rebuild:
“You know I don’t like those words,” Molson said. “We have a good team and we’re trying to build through the draft perhaps a little more than we have in the past few years. We’ve got some components that we really like … for me we’re going to get better and that’s the bottom line. I think we’ve got a very young group of forwards … we had a great past couple of years in the draft. We have some veterans that remain in place that are going to be better next year. … I think we’re going to strive to be a playoff team. Last year was a really tough year across the board. I don’t think we’re going to have that again this year. People are going to be all-in this year.”

Discuss

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
"Last year was a really tough year across the board. I don’t think we’re going to have that again this year. People are going to be all-in this year.”

What is this guy smoking? The roster's actually worse now than it was last season. It's basically Price or Bust. And I don't see how we make the playoffs even if Price stood on his head. Even when we get great goaltending we still can't score or defend well. What the hell is this guy thinking?

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I love how we essentially have the exact same roster..but THIS time it will be different. Because..you know..just because. If anything, we’re even less talented.

The man is delusional. It’s insulting that they expect us to buy the **** they’re selling.

He talks like that because he's trying to avoid having less people at games. But the thing is, it's inevitable at this point. Public goodwill is at a pathetically low point, and almost every single decision this team makes appears to backfire and is micro-analyzed because fans have lost patience, all while being angry. So the media hits them hard. The only thing that would help Molson is a better team, and that's going to take time. Chopping Bergevin's head off would also help tremendously but he stubbornly refuses to do it. That's on him. Public reflection would also ease the pain, but teams, for one or another, valid or not, tend to refuse to do it. I think coming out and saying " We failed the fanbase " would allieviate some of the tension, but I could see how current players would take umbrage at such remarks.

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
I only care about

596a78b3552be58e008b4c6e-1920-1190.jpg

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Also, if we weren't trying all that much to build through the draft in recent years, why was Bergevin always going on about the future, and why weren't picks traded in say, 2015 to try and go all the way? They're poor liars, and consistently contradict themselves. Even after Bergevin's inevitable exit, Molson should seriously consider hiring a president and taking less of a public role.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011

Canadiens president Molson says team is better after Subban trade

"P.K. is a bigger-than-life person on and off the ice and our fans love him and still will love him.
"I appreciate that, but I also appreciate what I’ve hired (general manager) Marc Bergevin to do and that is to make our team better. I’m confident he’s done that.

Molson approved it all.
"Marc Bergevin works to make our team better and all the work he’s done this spring to improve our team has been 100 per cent supported by me," said Molson. "That’s what I pay him for — to make our team better.

"I’m looking forward to seeing the evolved team on the ice and I think our fans will really appreciate the improvements."

Last edited:

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
I did not read it. He is such a politician. You'll never get an accurate answer from this guy!!!
I might read it after I guess...
(decided to read it)
example : "I think what I said is we’re going to make some changes and we’re going to adjust our approach so we are better". Don't they say that every year. This means nothing!

It's like saying guys will have to work harder... as Bergevin saying in the press conference after Free Agency, that his team had a bad year and is going to bounce back... ??? It's possible as I've seen teams like San Jose after the 2004-05 lockout, by like 2007-08, had a bad collective year and bounced back. I don't believe this is what happened to Montreal.
But anyway, despite any criticism, I can say that Bergevin and Molson don't seem to try and hide. They face the media. They don't interrupt or leave or whatever. They talk to the media for people to know what's going on.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
April 2016
"As far as what to expect in the off-season, I will let our hockey operations team, led by Marc Bergevin and Michel Therrien, detail these in due time. When you have a disappointing season like the one we just had, no stone can be left unturned in looking for ways to improve. You have my full commitment that we will do everything possible to improve our team." -Geoff Molson

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
April 2016

"This being said, despite subpar results this season, stability in our approach remains the focus. The mark of all good organizations in sports is stability and long-term vision. I remain convinced that we have a strong foundation of core players and veterans, as well as younger players with promising futures." -Geoff Molson

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
He talks like that because he's trying to avoid having less people at games. But the thing is, it's inevitable at this point. Public goodwill is at a pathetically low point, and almost every single decision this team makes appears to backfire and is micro-analyzed because fans have lost patience, all while being angry. So the media hits them hard. The only thing that would help Molson is a better team, and that's going to take time. Chopping Bergevin's head off would also help tremendously but he stubbornly refuses to do it. That's on him. Public reflection would also ease the pain, but teams, for one or another, valid or not, tend to refuse to do it. I think coming out and saying " We failed the fanbase " would allieviate some of the tension, but I could see how current players would take umbrage at such remarks.

Talking like that is what led to a hostile revolt in Toronto. At a certain point you have to stop treating your customers like idiots.

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
Hey gang, Canucks fan here! My wife had our third child today and I saw Weber visiting in the perinatal ward in Kelowna general hospital.

He's on crutches and a wicked knee brace but physically looks great. If he let's it heal properly and gives it all the time it needs I think he can return to his from from a couple of years ago.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
July 2018

for me we’re going to get better and that’s the bottom line. I think we’ve got a very young group of forwards … we had a great past couple of years in the draft. We have some veterans that remain in place that are going to be better next year. … I think we’re going to strive to be a playoff team. Last year was a really tough year across the board. I don’t think we’re going to have that again this year. People are going to be all-in this year.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad