News Article: Molson's interview about Weber's injury, Rebuild, Future and more

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
"High hockey IQ" would be the last thing I would say Drouin possess. In fact Its one of his weaknesses IMO.

All the tools no toolbox

Reactions: Tighthead

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Again, I didn't detest Drouin at the center, I can understand the logic behind.

The guy is a good skater, extremely gifted playmaker with a decent shot and high hockey IQ.

I mean this guy screams center for me!

He’s a natural LW. He doesn’t have the physical attributes, defensive ability, or enough IQ to drive a line from center. You complained about Chucky but he had one thing going for him, and that was his ability to use his shot while playing there. You can literally see Drouin gravitating to the left side of the ice because that’s where he knows he can score from, and I have no doubt that’s where he’s comfortable. Even Marc Bergevin himself said he’d prefer not to have to play him where he was, but Bergevin is constantly contradicting himself.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
You're assuming that Sergachev will regress next year, and that Drouin will take a step forward.

If he ends up as the number 1 in Ottawa its very likely.

If he ends up as the 4th or 5th D in TB if they get Karlsson his numbers will take a hit.

In the end its up to Drouin to improve his play regardless of Sergachev. Sergachev busts or becomes a HOFer shouldn't change Drouin turning into the player he was hyped up to be. The Drouin trade doesn't look better if he plays like he did last year and Sergachev turns into a 5D because he was our best chip to trade so we need to get something good in return for it. If Drouin busts then I would rather have used Serge to get Duchene instead or package him with Max for something else etc...

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
You’re comparing a self made projection to something that’s already happened. You said the two trades are alike and they’re not. If you think Drouin is going to be a 90 point winger next season, or ever, by all means you’re entitled to that. But Sergachev is not the same as Larrson. He was an NHL ready bluechip prospect with an enormous ceiling without even playing a single NHL game and the Oilers more or less knew what type of player Larsson was which was a middle of the pack middle pair defenceman with limited offensive upside.

Larsson was drafted 4th OVA and I remember his draft year he was being highly hyped. Larsson was a much more blue chip than Sergachev ever was. And he made the NHL after his draft year right away as well.

I doubt Drouin ever gets 90 points, but the trades have a lot of similarties. Go back a year and no one was praising the NJD for getting 53 point Hall while EDM looked like they were going to be the next Penguins and are starting their road to a dynasty.

Doesn't mean that its going to work out the same but it also shows that perception and value can change quickly in the NHL.

Sun1126

May 18, 2018
Do you seriously believe Subban + Sergachev over Weber and Drouin makes us much better? If so, how much better? We still have the worst center depth in the league... How the hell do Bergevin get quality top 6 centers to rivalize with the Kuznetsov\Backstrom Crosby\Malkin Tavares\Bazal Matthews\Kadri Barkov\Trocheck Stamkos\Point ect ect.. How do you do it? You cant get them via trades, you cant get them on the UFA market since teams lock their key players before they hit free agency, you have to draft them, period. You can blame Bergevin as much as you want if that make you feel better but if the guy had a golden opportunity to bring a top line center here, it would be done long ago... thinking otherwise is naive and unfair...

So your saying you can trade for a guy like Weber but its impossible to trade for a Center? lol? Also teams lock up their star players before they hit free agency? (taveres) lol? what a pathetic attempt to justify what bergavin did and for the record yes Habs are a worst team with having Weber instead of Subban, on and off the ice - Results speak for itself.

Reactions: OldCraig71

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Larsson was drafted 4th OVA and I remember his draft year he was being highly hyped. Larsson was a much more blue chip than Sergachev ever was. And he made the NHL after his draft year right away as well.

I doubt Drouin ever gets 90 points, but the trades have a lot of similarties. Go back a year and no one was praising the NJD for getting 53 point Hall while EDM looked like they were going to be the next Penguins and are starting their road to a dynasty.

Doesn't mean that its going to work out the same but it also shows that perception and value can change quickly in the NHL.

They aren’t the same because Larsson already had 5 seasons in the league at the time of the trade. Of coarse he was still 23 and defenceman take longer to develop, but New Jersey knew more or less what they had, and most could see that wasn’t a top pair defenceman. He was a blue chip as a kid, but that was several years before the trade. The other issue with Larsson was how much he coupd contribute offensively as the league is trending in the direction of hybrids as opposed to the Shea Weber’s that are becoming more and more rare. I’m not saying Sergachev is a guarantee to be a star top pairing dman, but the potential of becoming that has its own value.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world

A lot of revisionist history in your post.

Larsson might have been the 4th overall but everybody already knew the type of defenceman he was by the time he was traded to the Oilers (he was almost 24 years old at the time of the trade). He was yo-yoed in between the NHL and AHL for the first few seasons, had some injury issues, and then finally played a full season in the NHL on the Devils first pairing with Greene before being traded away that summer.

At no point in his first 5 seasons did Larsson show any significant offensive potential in the AHL or NHL, so I seriously doubt that he was much more of a blue chip than Sergachev at the time the trade was done.

FYI, everybody was praising the Devils for stealing Hall from the Oilers when the trade happened. Just because McDavid and Draisatl exploded last year, it didn't suddenly mean they had won the trade.

Last edited:

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
He’s a natural LW. He doesn’t have the physical attributes, defensive ability, or enough IQ to drive a line from center. You complained about Chucky but he had one thing going for him, and that was his ability to use his shot while playing there. You can literally see Drouin gravitating to the left side of the ice because that’s where he knows he can score from, and I have no doubt that’s where he’s comfortable. Even Marc Bergevin himself said he’d prefer not to have to play him where he was, but Bergevin is constantly contradicting himself.

Is he a natural LW? Who said? He was blossoming as an RW on that Tampa team...

Again, this whole discussion s futile IMO, Drouin will show it on the ice.
Can you list three other occasions where you were disappointed in a Bergevin move?

Yeah, that's the problem buddy, call me whatever you want but I'm just not seeing these huge blunders you guys are seeing...

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
They aren’t the same because Larsson already had 5 seasons in the league at the time of the trade. Of coarse he was still 23 and defenceman take longer to develop, but New Jersey knew more or less what they had, and most could see that wasn’t a top pair defenceman. He was a blue chip as a kid, but that was several years before the trade. The other issue with Larsson was how much he coupd contribute offensively as the league is trending in the direction of hybrids as opposed to the Shea Weber’s that are becoming more and more rare. I’m not saying Sergachev is a guarantee to be a star top pairing dman, but the potential of becoming that has its own value.

Yes tehy aren't 1:1 comparisons, but on the surface level there are some similarities. I could also turn it around say Hall isn't like Drouin. The same stuff you wrote about Larsson applies to Hall and how Drouin before we traded for him looked like a guy who could explode for 70/80 points while Hall was seen that he plateaud and was actually overpaid at his contract LOL.

I am not saying its going to play out exactly the same, but it wouldn't surprise me if the trade was being judged early just like the Hall for Larsson trade.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
And many insiders told that if Pulju was gone at 4 Edmonton would've picked Sergachev.

Honestly i was very surprised he was available for us. At first i was angry that we missed on all the forwards then i realized my god we got Sergachev at 9th. The guy has Subban like potential and if he reaches it nobody will be surprised that much.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Yes tehy aren't 1:1 comparisons, but on the surface level there are some similarities. I could also turn it around say Hall isn't like Drouin. The same stuff you wrote about Larsson applies to Hall and how Drouin before we traded for him looked like a guy who could explode for 70/80 points while Hall was seen that he plateaud and was actually overpaid at his contract LOL.

I am not saying its going to play out exactly the same, but it wouldn't surprise me if the trade was being judged early just like the Hall for Larsson trade.

That’s fair. But I personally always thought Hall had the potential to be an 80 point winger. I never got that feeling from Drouin regardless of the hype we were fed. But I’m not going to try and portray myself as the ultimate talent evaluator. I could be very wrong.

Is he a natural LW? Who said? He was blossoming as an RW on that Tampa team...

Again, this whole discussion s futile IMO, Drouin will show it on the ice.

Yeah, that's the problem buddy, call me whatever you want but I'm just not seeing these huge blunders you guys are seeing...

From watching him play, I would say the left side is where he belongs. How many times has he been able to smack it into the net in that area of the ice?

Reactions: scrubadam

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City

I disagree, when the trade was made Larsson was a 23 years old D and had played 274 games in the NHL. Pretty much everybody knew what he was going to be. Pretty much all hype about Larsson died with each passing season in NJD. I remember that most people thought the NJD won that trade on the same day it was made. We just didn't knew it was going to be that bad.

While I think people make the Drouin trade look worst because they overrate Sergachev, when we traded him he was a 19 years old player with 4 games played. It's not the same thing at all, he was all about potential.

Nobody thought Edmonton won the trade even with a 53 pts in 72 gp Hall.

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
Maybe we just have a different point of views? It happens, you know...
I think Drouin has way more than he showed last year...he is a great skater,great shot and bringing in his former junior coach with Halifax Dom Decharme should also help,but the most important thing is for the buffoon Bergevin to go get a center.

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
2drtst.jpg

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I think Drouin has way more than he showed last year...he is a great skater,great shot and bringing in his former junior coach with Halifax Dom Decharme should also help,but the most important thing is for the buffoon Bergevin to go get a center.
Drouin will be your center!

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Once again, you guys are so inconsistent, more like clueless to be honest.....

Chucky shots left side= "For **** sake use him on the right side! stupid coach!"

Drouin shots lefts side=" For **** sake use him on the left side! "

It’s called putting players in a position to succeed. Never happened with Galchenyuk, he was traded for a winger with less then 10 goals mostly consisting of EN. Drouin, same thing. Being put in a position to fail. I guess I’m just clueless.. must be nice living in that glass house. I was trying to be civilized and all this proves is there is no civilized with Belial.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
It’s called putting players in a position to succeed. Never happened with Galchenyuk, he was traded for a winger with less then 10 goals mostly consisting of EN. Drouin, same thing. Being put in a position to fail. I guess I’m just clueless.. must be nice living in that glass house. I was trying to be civilized and all this proves is there is no civilized with Belial.

Did I disrespect you or something?

I don't want to start this whole Chucky thing again... He had his chances, saying he didn't is just being dishonest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad