Dreger: (Mod warning post 661) Marner's camp to take negotiations beyond July 1st and to visit teams startin

Status
Not open for further replies.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
The islanders wouldn't just be a revenge angle. They have a need at wing, the cap space, and the picks.

The fact that people only categorize the islanders as a "revenge based" team in the mix says more about the people thinking that, than the islanders them selves (if they even go that route).

Certainly would make next year interesting with Lee ~7, Beau on a ~3m bridge, and Barzal/Pulock/Toews all needing contracts

Raymoondo

Leafs Cup 2021
Apr 9, 2013
Toronto
No, I understood it. I wasnt the poster who had the original confusion. Just pointing out that it was poorly worded. Reading comprehension shouldn't be in question if something is not worded properly. Take a breather.
No-trade clause is a noun lol. It's not even a negative word

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Nothing against Marner, but I'm surprised he'd being so public about this. I don't blame him. IMO he's the last player on the team you'd trade away. And no, I'm not suggesting that the Leafs should trade away Matthews or Tavares. I think that Marner is greatly unappreciated on these boards.

I'm really curious as to how many team would be willing to cough up 11M for him.
I'm just spitballing here... but Carolina probably can't afford it as they're under a self imposed cap, right?
Colorado? They've got a boatload of cap space.
Islanders? Is their prospect pool deep enough? I've got doubts there.

I'm having a hard time seeing a team absorbing the cap space while also coughing up picks for the offer sheet.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Except forcing a trade out of his home town for being perceived as being greedy would make him and probably his family members pariahs in Toronto, a city with a very long memory.

I now have to ask, so you're on record for saying it's OK for Islander fans to be displeased with Tavares leaving and 90% of the Toronto fan base was wrong?

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
This is what good management does. Sign the best player to a team discount, and the rest follow in line. Some learn this, some don't.
You always get the best price you can, but without being part of the negotiations, you’d be a fool to place blame anywhere. Nobody knows what happen, and the way you’ve oversimplified suggests you don’t understand how negotiations work.

It could be either side, or both.

You don’t know, and you just sound like Skip Bayless but with zero credibility.... Or did your friend tell you this one? :laugh:

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
This is false. You can't have a NTC until you are an UFA. Marner is still a RFA.
What does "all the cards" mean to you?
A UFA holds "all the cards" an RFA has some cards to play but in the end the team that drafted him will decide whether he plays for them or not and to suggest otherwise is being disingenuous at the very least.

Reactions: Isaac Nootin

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Nothing against Marner, but I'm surprised he'd being so public about this. I don't blame him. IMO he's the last player on the team you'd trade away. And no, I'm not suggesting that the Leafs should trade away Matthews or Tavares. I think that Marner is greatly unappreciated on these boards.

I'm really curious as to how many team would be willing to cough up 11M for him.
I'm just spitballing here... but Carolina probably can't afford it as they're under a self imposed cap, right?

I'm having a hard time seeing a team absorbing the cap space while also coughing up picks for the offer sheet.

Wahlstrom
Dobson
Wilde
Bellows
Koivula
Aho
Sorokin
MDC (I wouldn't count him out yet, but he better make strides like last year, or more)

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Leafs do have all the control.

If Marner camp decides to sign an offer sheet, the Leafs will match. He'll be traded sooner than later to the highest bidder who he may not have originally wanted to sign with.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You always get the best price you can, but without being part of the negotiations, you’d be a fool to place blame anywhere. Nobody knows what happen, and the way you’ve oversimplified suggests you don’t understand how negotiations work.

It could be either side, or both.

You don’t know, and you just sound like Skip Bayless but with zero credibility.... Or did your friend tell you this one? :laugh:
You are overthinking it.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
I now have to ask, so you're on record for saying it's OK for Islander fans to be displeased with Tavares leaving and 90% of the Toronto fan base was wrong?
You should familiarize yourself with the difference between RFAs and UFAs.
Tavares signed a very team friendly deal with the Islanders coming off his ELC.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Leads do have all the control.

If Marner camp decides to sign an offer sheet, the Leafs will match. He'll be traded sooner than later to the highest bidder who he may not have originally wanted to sign with.

If they match an offer-sheet, they can't trade him for a year.

The Leafs should just look to trade Marner before it gets to that point. Dubas ruined the cap structure by overpaying players and signing players the Leafs didn't need. Expecting Marner to take less than he's worth because your GM was an idiot with cap management seems incredibly unfair towards Marner.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Damn, never even thought of that...just imagine :laugh:

Like when the Sharks offer sheeted Hjalmarsson and then the Hawks were forced to sell off Niemi to SJ.

So if I want Marner, the best strategy may be to first inflate the values of Kapanen and/or Johnsson by offer sheet with contracts that are high but not to the extreme that the Leafs won't match (around 4 mil or so). Then you take the home run swing at Marner.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017

Marner is not being public about this.

It's Darren Dreger taking a guess at what he thinks will happen. Even the thread title is not accurate.

Reactions: thadd

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Certainly would make next year interesting with Lee ~7, Beau on a ~3m bridge, and Barzal/Pulock/Toews all needing contracts
This is assuming Lee stays, moreover the islanders could still work the cap to make all of it work. Again, I dont envision Lou handcuffing him self like that. I could see Lou doing something around the threshold of 10.5ish or whatever it would be that only Jets
2 firsts
2 seconds
1 third

Clearly the Leafs would match, but at the very least they arent the ones making the terms. Which would be beneficial, forcing them to meet a number/term that's out of their control.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
What does "all the cards" mean to you?
A UFA holds "all the cards" an RFA has some cards to play but in the end the team that drafted him will decide whether he plays for them or not and to suggest otherwise is being disingenuous at the very least.
I would say Marner holds all the cards in this one. Dubas is going to fail one way or the other. Overpay him, let him sit, trade Marner, or overpay him. There is no situation Marner loses in this. The time to sign Marner was last summer when he was willing to negotiate, 9.5 was what was reported he wanted. Those days are long gone. Young Dubas is learning the hard way as he did with Nylander. He dropped the ball.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Leads do have all the control.

In all honesty, it doesn't look like the Leafs have had any control since Dubas took over........thye got bullied into giving Nylander too much, and then AM's agent ate them up. They may control MM's rights, but that's about it these days........it has not been very well played out.
MM and his agent, and family seem to be pushing some serious buttons, maybe just maybe they do all want out?

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
You should familiarize yourself with the difference between RFAs and UFAs.
Tavares signed a very team friendly deal with the Islanders coming off his ELC.

So you're saying it depends how the player leaves now? So waiting til the 23rd hour for you to find out your franchise Center to tell you (well not tell you) he is leaving shouldn't bother you?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Wahlstrom
Dobson
Wilde
Bellows
Koivula
Aho
Sorokin
MDC (I wouldn't count him out yet, but he better make strides like last year, or more)

Well if the Islanders did it I really don't know who wins.
Toronto signs UFA Tavares.
Islanders make it to the 2nd round of the playoffs without Tavares.
Islanders take Marner.
Toronto takes probably 4 1st rounders... ?
Islanders walks away with much needed offense up front.
Toronto walks away without a cap problem.
If Islanders under perform next year or the year after or the year after that or even the year after that, it's going to help Toronto out a ton. Puts pressure on the Islanders to deliver.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
This is assuming Lee stays, moreover the islanders could still work the cap to make all of it work. Again, I dont envision Lou handcuffing him self like that. I could see Lou doing something around the threshold of 10.5ish or whatever it would be that only Jets
2 firsts
2 seconds
1 third

Clearly the Leafs would match, but at the very least they arent the ones making the terms. Which would be beneficial, forcing them to meet a number/term that's out of their control.

Think we would have to move Leddy to make it work and since Dobson could be ready in 20/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad