GDT: "Mo' Money Mo' Problems" -- NY Rangers @ Vancouver Canucks || Sept 26/13 7PM TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
I think the strategy on Horvat and Shinkaruk is pretty clear. Get them each a couple of NHL games' experience before sending them back to junior, dominating their respective leagues, and representing Canada at the WJCs. It'd give them a heck of a confidence boost among other things.

Yeah, I think that would be great for their development. They haven't looked out of place in the preseason games they've played and if they can see how much faster and intense the NHL is compared to juniors, I think it would be a great motivator for them to work hard this season to get to that level. It'd also be great for them to be rewarded for their hard work over the past month as well.

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
Garrison sitting out today. He probably has a spot locked up.

Whoever takes his spot (Weber or Alberts) will probably be slotted as the 7th defenseman unless the person playing has a phenomenally bad game. Leaning more towards Weber playing tonight.

Hoping that Shinkaruk and Horvat play alongside Higgins tonight with Booth slotting in the second line with Burrows and Kesler. The third line in theory would be pretty nice, since Horvat has shown he can turn turd into diamonds with his assist on Sestito's goal and Shinkaruk already has proven to be a (surprisingly) good net presence and Higgins is excellent defensively, covering for any rookie gaffes, and can cycle and pass fairly well. The second line doesn't sit well with me however, since all three are more shoot first players and Booth doesn't slide in well with the Sedins. Another option would be Higgins slides up to the second line with Booth playing with the rookies but I think Torts wants a better feel of how the line up would look with Booth on the second line, with Kassian in theory being able to replace Hansen on the first, slotting him down to the third line with Higgins.

Edit: Guess I was wrong on this. Surprised that Torts slotted Booth on the third line. Horvat being on the fourth line implies that he'll be sent that very soon most likely.

Should be an interesting game. Lots of spots up for grabs even for those who already made the team.

Last edited:

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
@botchford: Looking like these will be Canuck lines: Burr-Sedins, Jannik-Ryan-Chris, Shinkaruk-Santorelli-Booth, Sestito-Horvat-Richardson

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
@botchford: Looking like these will be Canuck lines: Burr-Sedins, Jannik-Ryan-Chris, Shinkaruk-Santorelli-Booth, Sestito-Horvat-Richardson

Intrigued on Booth-Santorelli, both had career years playing together.

Also LOL at Botch just casually dropping first names like he's BFFL with them or something.

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
Looks like Santorelli already has a centre spot locked up:
According to Botchford -

Burr-Sedins
Jannik-Kesler-Higgins
Shinkaruk-Santorelli-Booth
Sestito-Horvat-Richardson

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
Intrigued on Booth-Santorelli, both had career years playing together.

Also LOL at Botch just casually dropping first names like he's BFFL with them or something.

I'm pretty sure half the team depises the guy.

Horvat playing with plugs again. Maybe he can get Sestito another goal!

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Things I like about the lineup:
-Higgins with Kesler, I love when those two play together
-Booth with Santorelli, just makes sense given their success in Florida

Things I don't like as much:
-Burrows with the Sedins, it works, but right now I would like to get an extended look of Hansen with the Sedins.
-Shinkaruk with Booth and Santorelli. I know HS can dish, but that's three shoot-first players on one line. Although I do like the thought of Booth bringing some size to offset Shinkaruk.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I'm pretty sure half the team depises the guy.

Horvat playing with plugs again. Maybe he can get Sestito another goal!

I wouldn't consider Richardson a plug, as if he made the team there's a good chance they would play together.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
Things I like about the lineup:
-Higgins with Kesler, I love when those two play together
-Booth with Santorelli, just makes sense given their success in Florida

Things I don't like as much:
-Burrows with the Sedins, it works, but right now I would like to get an extended look of Hansen with the Sedins.
-Shinkaruk with Booth and Santorelli. I know HS can dish, but that's three shoot-first players on one line. Although I do like the thought of Booth bringing some size to offset Shinkaruk.

Agree. We all know Burr can work with the Sedins. We should use this opportunity to see how other guys fit with the Twins. Perhaps even give Horvat/Shinkaruk a brief look?

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Agree. We all know Burr can work with the Sedins. We should use this opportunity to see how other guys fit with the Twins. Perhaps even give Horvat/Shinkaruk a brief look?

We all know it but the head coach probably hasn't seen them together too much.

There's no problem with him evaluating what he's got, in my opinion.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
Yeah, I think that would be great for their development. They haven't looked out of place in the preseason games they've played and if they can see how much faster and intense the NHL is compared to juniors, I think it would be a great motivator for them to work hard this season to get to that level. It'd also be great for them to be rewarded for their hard work over the past month as well.

This seems to be the standard operating procedure for trying to develop talent but I'm not sure I agree with it.

Players who play at the NHL level for a few games and then go back to their junior clubs experience such a drop-off of speed, talent and skill that I'm not sure it does them any good.

If the Canucks really want to develop talent at the NHL level, I believe they should play at the NHL level. To be the best, you have to play against the best. Let them sink or swim.

But obviously if they're toiling away and losing confidence because they just can't keep up to the big boys, send them back. But don't go into the process with the intent to return them to junior in a few games just so they can 'dominate' at that level.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
We all know it but the head coach probably hasn't seen them together too much.

There's no problem with him evaluating what he's got, in my opinion.

Very true, and given how Torts has changed up the lines a lot mid-game, there's a decent chance those lines aren't concrete for tonight

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
Torts must have pulled AV to keep Sesito over Gaunce in lineup

Did any of you even watch the first Edmonton game? The Oilers physically dominated the Canucks. Pitlick, Brown and Eager were running around because the only toughness the Canucks had was Kassian, and honestly, he wanted nothing to do with it. Other than Bieksa and Garry, the Canucks D played incredibly timid which led to terrible breakouts and defensive breakdowns.

I'm not saying Sestito scares the other teams from running around but at the very least he keeps them honest. If Eager is going to run around, he's going to have to answer the bell, and sit out for several minutes.

Watch when a player skates back to the bench after coming out of the box after a fight. The players appreciate it.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
This seems to be the standard operating procedure for trying to develop talent but I'm not sure I agree with it.

Players who play at the NHL level for a few games and then go back to their junior clubs experience such a drop-off of speed, talent and skill that I'm not sure it does them any good.

If the Canucks really want to develop talent at the NHL level, I believe they should play at the NHL level. To be the best, you have to play against the best. Let them sink or swim.

But obviously if they're toiling away and losing confidence because they just can't keep up to the big boys, send them back. But don't go into the process with the intent to return them to junior in a few games.

For the top talent, absolutely. It's best to keep them up and let them sink or swim. When I said to keep them up to give them a taste, I didn't mean to go in with the intent of sending them down regardless of result. If they impress and produce, then sure keep them up. But if they don't blow us away, there's still things they can learn and improve on in juniors (Horvat more-so than Shinkaruk). If they aren't impressing and producing, I believe it's best to send them back to juniors with the mindset that they need to improve in certain areas on and off the ice before they lose confidence, hence the 9 game stint. They'll have many opportunities to improve on areas that need work when they get top minutes with their junior teams, make deep playoff runs (especially with Horvat as London hosts the Memorial Cup tournament this year), and possibly represent Canada this year at the World Juniors. They're both hardworking kids and I'm confident that if they can't stick past 9, they'll work hard to improve to challenge for a spot again next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad