OT: MN High School Hockey Thread

Slick Willy*

Still not out of the section yet, they play Centennial for the section championship. When did you graduate?

2000, give or take. ;)

The sections have changed so much over the years it's hard to keep track of them.

Our section was soooooo easy for a while there and yet we have still not been back since I was in bantams.

BurnsyMN

Mar 27, 2014
St Paul
Nope. Cameron Cooper, though it was another guy (also former HA player) who mentioned the tuition break thing. Went to Mankato State 08-12, then ECHL.

Now Benilde and Breck are doing it, among others. Other privates won't go that route.

When did Erik Johnson go there?

He would have been a 06 graduate. Won a state title in 2005 I think? Then went to the US Development team

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
Nope. Cameron Cooper, though it was another guy (also former HA player) who mentioned the tuition break thing. Went to Mankato State 08-12, then ECHL.

Now Benilde and Breck are doing it, among others. Other privates won't go that route.

When did Erik Johnson go there?

I have his Walleye jersey and a signed puck from him when he first played pro straight out of college.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I have his Walleye jersey and a signed puck from him when he first played pro straight out of college.

My son was lucky to have him coaching him on D. Had a few cool little drills. Cam could've played longer in the ECHL, but I think he decided that regular time in the AHL was a long shot, so it was time to move on with his life. Those guys have to put everything on hold, school, work, wife/family... with very little to show for it.

He was on our team for the father son game. We crushed the not so little buggers, mainly due to him.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
My son was lucky to have him coaching him on D. Had a few cool little drills. Cam could've played longer in the ECHL, but I think he decided that regular time in the AHL was a long shot, so it was time to move on with his life. Those guys have to put everything on hold, school, work, wife/family... with very little to show for it.

He was on our team for the father son game. We crushed the not so little buggers, mainly due to him.

Very cool. Some time I'll have to track him down to sign my sweater, since I got it after the season and then I believe he signed with Vegas the next year.

He was good for Toledo in his brief time there.

10coach*

Feb 21, 2014
Ahh that's right. Just looked up Frazee and he plays in Germany. Hillen was undrafted college free agent. Didn't Hagemo end up having a drug addiction problem that derailed his career?

Yeah he coaches bantams in Wayzata now. Seems to have gotten his life together

10coach*

Feb 21, 2014
Only players I remember playing pro hockey from 04-05 years is Jack Hillen and he is still in the NHL. I don't know if the tuition break stuff was ever true. Their coaching staff used to scout public school practices and grabbed their best players. They have an all new coaching staff and the athletic director was an art teacher or something before he got that position. The football team has gotten better though.

That isn't true.

The AD was a religion teacher, but had a degree in sport admin. He was also an assistant football and baseball coach prior to becoming AD.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Was a little worried following the game online. MG's goalie had a good game with 41 saves, but Riley Tufte came up big in the last half of the third period with two huge goals.

Dang. Blaine used to never get out of their section but they've done better since I was in school.

What sucks is Jack Kelly is going to the US Dev team after this season too. Kid was getting some serious looks this summer.

Still not out of the section yet, they play Centennial for the section championship. When did you graduate?

Centennial will probably take it too. I don't know what it is with MG, they just can't make it past Blaine or even Centennial for that matter when it counts. They'll own em all year long and then they just disappear.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
My old high school hasn't been good since the early 90s, back when my step-dad was one of the top scorers in the state. Since, they hardly ever post a winning season and haven't made it to the second round of the playoffs in almost 10 years I think, if not more.

They brought in some hot-shot new coach from the cities and it hasn't changed a thing, either.

But, on the bright side, they almost went .500 this year and all of their top guys are juniors. Maybe next year they can do some damage. Too bad they have to go through the Lakeville teams if they want to go anywhere.

gopherman23

Jul 10, 2013
Minnesota
What sucks is Jack Kelly is going to the US Dev team after this season too. Kid was getting some serious looks this summer.

Centennial will probably take it too. I don't know what it is with MG, they just can't make it past Blaine or even Centennial for that matter when it counts. They'll own em all year long and then they just disappear.

Blaine is playing some good hockey lately so it's going to be tough for centennial. Blaine is 15-0-1 since the beginning of January and has beat Edina, Eden Prarie, Elk River, Benilde, and Hill Murray. They have had a great season considering they lost 15 players from last years team that went 20-4. Anything is possible though. Centennial beat Blaine in sections last year, I think this year will be a different result.

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
Love this time of the year!

I'm a Burnsville graduate but cheer for Rosemount primarily now since it's where family and extended family ended up. Though I still cheer for Burnsville and certainly will against Edina. :laugh:

District 5

Mar 1, 2014
Yeah I saw that. Isn't there goalie one of the 3? How dumb can you be? EP has lost to Minnetonka twice this year already too. I don't see the section final being any different now. Bonehead move by those players.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Blaine is playing some good hockey lately so it's going to be tough for centennial. Blaine is 15-0-1 since the beginning of January and has beat Edina, Eden Prarie, Elk River, Benilde, and Hill Murray. They have had a great season considering they lost 15 players from last years team that went 20-4. Anything is possible though. Centennial beat Blaine in sections last year, I think this year will be a different result.

Which is hilarious because one of the hockey dads does military with me and all he kept talking about was how crappy they would be this year :biglaugh:

gopherman23

Jul 10, 2013
Minnesota
Which is hilarious because one of the hockey dads does military with me and all he kept talking about was how crappy they would be this year :biglaugh:

I see why he would say that though. I forgot to mention that the coach jumped shipped for Brainard as well. So you have a new coach and 15 new guys, that usually isn't a recipe for success. They took about a month or so to really gel together but they are playing well right now. If Riley Tufte decides not to go the USHL route next year, which is a big if, they should have two Mr. hockey candidates next year with himself and Luke Noterman.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Yeah I saw that. Isn't there goalie one of the 3? How dumb can you be? EP has lost to Minnetonka twice this year already too. I don't see the section final being any different now. Bonehead move by those players.

via the hub:
Eden Prairie learned first-line wing Marc Sullivan, second-line wing Riley Argetsinger and top-four defenseman Louie Roehl all must sit out Wednesday’s game against the Skippers because of their roles in the brawl. A combined 18 penalties were assessed to eight players (four on each team).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad